Nautical Chart Auction

Hayward2

The chart that I was bidding on during our Tahiti - Hawaii Tahitian Princess cruise was quite elaborate. Really a work of art. In addition to charting the course of our travel, it included autographs of all the senior officers, a small chart was mounted on the large chart that showed arrival and departure times in ports as well as distances traveled. There were other pieces mounted on the chart that gave some history of the ports visited. And, little "flags" were added and attached next to the islands we visited that gave their names. That's what I recall .. and I think there was more. It was really very nice. I guess it all depends on the "artistic talents" of the staff member assigned to prepare the chart.

I paid $560 for mine fromthe Sapphire cruise Bangkok to Beijing. It is wonderful...has flags of the countries we went to ..autographs of the officers.times and alot of nautical information I really don't understand. I truly love it.

On our last cruise the chart auction was unusual and the Vista Lounge was SRO, out the door and had many crew and staff members attending and betting on the final price...but that was because that cruise had a man overboard situation and the chart showed the search pattern in addition to the cruise itinerary. The final price was also unusual, well over $3000.

Archived