Chef's Table, everything you want to know

cruisinbuddy

Now, if you want to be surprised at the Chef's Table don't read any further. If you want to know EVERYTHING, keep reading.

At our first dinner on the Crown P. the Head Waiter came over to introduce himself and told us, if we had any questions, just ask. So my hand went up immediately. I asked him to put my name on the list for the Chef’s Table. He asked for my sail & sign card, took my info and said he’ll take care of it. So the next night, as we were walking into the dining room I asked the Maitr’d, Nicola Furlan, if my name had made it to the list. Without batting an eye, he said yes it had Mr. Drew, and I’ll be coming over to talk to you this evening. I’ve never met him before, we never talked, how the heck did he know who I was?

A little later he came to the table and introduced himself and asked us “if we would eat anything”? My reply was, “I’m a chef, if I haven’t tried it, I’d like to”.

OK, so now the wait. Nothing, until we got back to our cabin on the 13th after breakfast. We got the mail and the invitation was there, Yay! In the invitation there was also a letter stating, that you must be healthy, no flu symptoms or near someone who had them. You have to wear clean clothes, closed toe shoes, if possible, not mandatory. If it was, DW would have worn her sneakers. We met in the International Café for 6:45. Nicola knew all of our names as he introduced us to each other. There he told us about the ship, including that anything to do with the Galleys; equipment, pots and pans, you name it, was worth $80,000,000.00. He also told us that in St. Thomas they would be loading 22 tons of food and beverage; this was good because they ran out of Bud, but that’s another story.

It’s now time to go to the Galley and start the tour. We walk in to the Galley and are introduced to the Executive Chef, Martial Dufor, and the Executive Sous Chef; unfortunately I don’t remember his name. So once the introductions were done, we were given a glass of “real champagne” Moet & Chandon, and a tray of Quiche Provencale, right about this time the Chef asks who is in the food business, well that’s me. He came over to me and we had a very nice talk for about 5 minutes. DW says I got a few “looks” from the other guests. Other offerings for hors doeurves were; Blue Crab Margarita with Avocado Mayo, Fois Gras Terrine on toast w/ Apple Chutney, and Buckwheat Bilinis with Caviar and Crème Fraiche. Ok I’m full. During this time, the Executive Sous Chef asked if we wanted our picture taken with Martial, so those who had a camera got a pic. Our next adventure was the trip to the dining room. We left the Galley and went up one level to one of the anytime dining rooms with champagne in hand. People were waiting to get in, and we just walked on past them. I heard, “who the heck are they”? We were seated at the Chef’s Table. Martial came to the table as each course was being served to explain what was being served. We started with a Champagne Risotto, then a Goat and Emental Cheese Soufflé. After that we had a Lip Smackin’ Bloody Mary Sorbet. After that, the Trio of Beef, Veal & Pork Tenderloin on Medieval Spiked Flambé Roaster. See video, http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3027645900015312306EToLUX These were accompanied with a variety of potatoes and vegetables.

After this we had a Potted Stilton Cheese with port wine and walnuts & Rosemary Biscotti.

No I’m not finished yet, we finished off with a Parfait of Amaretto, Vanilla and other ingredients,(I can’t read the Chef’s writing) parfait. Then Martial Sat down with us and answered our questions over coffee. Princess cook books were signed by Martial and Nicola and handed out to each couple. And then 2 pictures were taken for each couple; one with the Chef & Nicola and one with the group. These pics were delivered to our cabin. What a wonderful evening.

If you get the chance, you must do this.

To see my review go here, http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=38304

I want to ask a question. Was it brought up with all of the princess ships are going to have the Chef's Table? I know that the Emerald, Crown and Caribbean have them. I will be on the Coral in May and truly want to know their timetable of when the other ships will have this.

marilyn

Wow, that sounds great. I'll be on the Golden this March, and I was hoping they have the same thing. If so, what's the best way to ensure that I have a better chance of being able to attend, assuming there's limited numbers? Thanks

As a chef, in your opinion, was it several notches above the specialty dining service? Were the wine pairings as good as you would have expected? Was what you were served even in the cook book?

We didn't do the speciaty restaurant, so I can't compare it to that. The actual service was immpecable (sp), I believe we has 3 or 4 waiters. There were just two types of wine after the champagne, one white and one red. Unfortunately everything was happening so fast I didn't get a chance to read the labels. No the food served wasn't in the book, because the Chef's Table is newer than the book. It did have quite a few of the regular menu items in it though.

I forgot to mention that along with the main course we also had 1/2 a lobster each.

I want to ask a question. Was it brought up with all of the princess ships are going to have the Chef's Table? I know that the Emerald, Crown and Caribbean have them. I will be on the Coral in May and truly want to know their timetable of when the other ships will have this.

marilyn

We'll be on the Sea Princess in July, so I called my CVP at Princess to ask about the roll-out schedule.

He said they only thing he can find at this time is the press release from Princess saying it will be 'fleet-wide in 2008'. He said he will keep looking and asking around to see if there is a specific schedule, then call me when he finds out. As soon as I hear anything, I plan on posting a thread with the information I receive.

As a die hard Foodie, I am looking forward to this very much, as well as the Ultimate Balcony Dining.

Good Eating, Y'All

We were told by our onboard coordinator that Chef's table would not be available on the Diamond by our April 1-16 cruise, so it is taking some time to roll this out. Here is the link to the official news article from Princess. In the second paragraph they state:

Currently available on Emerald Princess, Crown Princess and Caribbean Princess, the Chef's Table is scheduled to debut aboard most vessels in the fleet in early 2008. The line's smaller ships, Tahitian Princess, Pacific Princess and Royal Princess are not part of the initial roll-out but may offer the program at a later date.

Thanks for such a great, detailed review. I was glad to see that your menu wasn't overly seafood/shellfish. I want to participate in the Chef's Table on the CB in April but am allergic to shellfish. Do you know if any others in your group also were allergic or told the maitre'd/chef that they didn't particularly care for something like during the questioning process?

Falcon it was $75.00 per person. But when you think about it, one persons fee paid for the; cookbook, the champagne, the wine and the two pictures. It was well worth the experience. As far as reserving for the table goes, do just what I did, or as soon as you walk into your dining room ask the Maitr'd. There were actually two Chef's tables this cruise. People we met at the bar said they went to the 1st one.

jvdmd, I believe that the menus vary from ship to ship, but as you read, we only had one shellfish, lobster. It was set on our plate, so you could easily refuse it. Tell the Maitr'd that you love shell fish but just can't eat it.

Thanks for the great review. We were on the New Year's sailing of the Crown and did the Chef's Table. It was a wonderful experience. I do remember them asking if we had any food allergies etc. Since it is somewhat by invitation after they appear to "check you out", it appears they do not want picky type eaters at this event. There is so much food and I didn't even attempt to eat it all.

Thanks for the great review. We were on the New Year's sailing of the Crown and did the Chef's Table. It was a wonderful experience. I do remember them asking if we had any food allergies etc. Since it is somewhat by invitation after they appear to "check you out", it appears they do not want picky type eaters at this event. There is so much food and I didn't even attempt to eat it all.

I don't think anyone of the ten of us finished it all. There must have been enough food for 20 people.

• 2 weeks later...
The Chef's Dinner is not the same as what you receive at the "Chef's Table". The Chef's Dinner is just another night in the dining room like Italian Night, etc..

I thought it was peculiar, but figured perhaps they had renamed it.

I've asked on several of the current threads, but haven't gotten a clear answer.

How do you sign up? Is it first come first serve? Or do they 'interview' you?

One of the OP's stated that he mentioned it to the head waiter and on another thread it said that you tell the maitre d' you're interested as soon as you come into the diningroom. I doubt you'll need an interview, though there is a suggested dress code. :)

Which dining room on the Carib Princess? (I think each dining room has their own Maitre d'?)

Yes, each of the three diningrooms does have their own MD and HW. To make your life easier, I would inquire while one of the MD's is doing the dinner seating changes during the afternoon of embarkation day. That way someone can tell you where and when you need to apply.

Pia

Archived