Pinnacle Grill Tipping

kelelmel

I can tolerate poor food better than poor service. I think all of us can distinguish between problems that are caused by the kitchen and those that are caused (or allowed to happen) by the server. Sorry, but i don't believe in tipping for substandard service. If I have to flag the server down to get my water refilled or my coffee freshened or to get the catsup or my favorite complaint, trying to find them to get my check when I'm ready to go, then I don't tip. If I get adequate service I generally leave 15%, if superior service then 20-25%. By the same token, if I don't tip I will most often leave a note explaining why.

We ate in the Pinnacle the first time last cruise (Jan 04) and we left a tip based on what the meal would have cost us in a good restaurant, rather than on the $10 fee we paid for sailing nite.

Ok, I can understand your point with that, but I am one who cannot tolerate a bad meal, bad service, to me, would be more acceptable than a bad meal.

Now, let me put this out here, and I am sure I'll get alot of responses here. Do any of us that do not work in the food service industry, have bad days? Of course we do. Do we get our daily pays reduced because of it????????? OR for that matter, increased when we have a good day???? Just a thought.

Anytime we have gone to the Pinnacle, we have always tipped the waitstaff and the wine steward.

When the new automatic tipping began, we didn't leave quite as much as we did in the past knowing that they got something from the auto tip and the wine steward automatically adds on 15% of which he gets to keep nearly all of that tip.

This is another confusing issue associated with the auto tip policy. HAL says the auto tip covers all their staff, including those that work in the Pinnicle. So for those that don't leave an extra tip they are only complying with HAL's tipping policy. Guess I don't understand why the staff in the Pinnicle deserves special treatment. They don't work any harder than the staff in the main dining room, in fact some may argue thier work is less demanding. Just because they serve a higher quality meal doesn't mean they work any harder than others.

Confused as usual with HAL's vague policies.

I have been responding on this thread on the old HAL tipping policy and what I have done in the past as I haven't sailed HAL as of yet under the new tipping policy. Yes, the Pinnacle is covered by the new tipping policy, as I understand it. I will, as I have said in the past, leave the new tipping policy in place and tip the wonderful servers I encounter on a cruise a little more for their hard work and attention to my needs.

I think JollyCruiser makes some good points. I've read here about the "pittance" that these workers make. But realistically, even if they're getting a small percentage of the auto-tip, they're getting a small percentage of everyone's autotip, which may not be a pittance after all. At the least it could be on par with the DR servers. You need to keep in mind that the DR servers get a large percentage (about 35%) of a person's auto-tip, but it's only for the people at their stations, not all passengers.

Now I'm not saying that this is the case, or that you shouldn't tip extra. That's a personal choice. I'm just pointing out that with the new auto-tip very few people outside of HAL really know whether the Pinnacle servers are receiving a pittance or a share equal to other servers, and that alone makes it difficult to leave an appropriate tip. At least with the DR staff we have a good idea of how much of the auto-tip goes to them.

hi Doone:) this is now off topic but yes, we have quarterly bonuses where I work....you can make up to a certain amount...if mistakes are made a deduction is taken out of that bonus....

Lois, you said bonus, while a tip, I guess, could be looked at as a bonus, I guess, I always thought tips are part of their salaries when working in the service industry. I know my sister made about $2 an hour when waitressing, I hardly think of that as a salary now a days.

I still feel, and will always feel, $5 or $10 here or there isn't going to break me. I feel very fortunate about what I have and that I am able to cruise, I will gladly share what I have with others who wait on me on a cruise or restaurant.

I feel fortunate for what I have as well...wasn't implying anything different.

I felt we tipped appropriately in the Oddessy...we left more than 20%.....

I guess this is all opinions......we all have our own ideas of what is good service and what is not.

The tipping in the alternative restaurants always confused me. We are paying a "service fee" of $20 (or whatever the charge happens to be)...is that just because the food is of higher quality or is it all encompassing of the whole experience, food, service, etc.? If none of that fee goes to staff, then I think I would tip in cash. I think HAL needs to clarify this (maybe they have something on the daily newsletter about the policy?)

With that in mind, my husband works at a 5 star resort where gratuities of 19% are automatically added to each bill (no he doesn't get all of that, he gets about 14% and the rest goes to the bar backs and the house.) Of course any guest can dispute the amount and have it removed or adjusted accordingly if they are not satisfied with the service. This method puts a check and balance into the service that the employees provide. Believe me if a customer requested an adjustment to his gratuity, the manager will be all over that employee and they have a disciplinary process that is in place (verbal warnings, written warnings, termination).

In some of the outlets in the resort, employees have chosen to pool their tips (not cash, only the auto gratuities). My husband's area voted not to do that. Not everyone works as hard as he does and he doesn't think it's fair to have to share with others who don't work as hard. And he doesn't want to have to be the one to "discipline" those that don't....that's management's job.

So while I think automatic gratuity is ok and gives management the opportunity to know which employees are not providing excellent service via complaints to remove or adjust tips, I don't agree with the pooling of tips. I don't think substandard employees who might be "flying below the radar" and just doing the minimum work to get by should be rewarded.

This is why it is so important to name names (good & bad) on the survey reports at the end of the cruise.

For us that have sailed for years ,we have beat to death the ADDITIONAL charges that have come in recent years ----- And as long as people keep paying ,they will keep charging for more and more---SUPPLY AND DEMAND---

Now, remember when the optional upscale restaurants started? There was no charge on most but quickly as these became hard to get into a "NOMINAL" charge was instituted to PAY THE WAIT STAFF!!! Started $3,$5 and now upto $30 and up---But now as new people began to cruise they started tipping extra and the progression continues!

FRANK

Now, let me put this out here, and I am sure I'll get alot of responses here. Do any of us that do not work in the food service industry, have bad days? Of course we do. Do we get our daily pays reduced because of it????????? OR for that matter, increased when we have a good day???? Just a thought.

Yes, I do. As a freelance writer, my compensation is tied directly to my performance. And the people paying me don't want excuses ("but the storm knocked down the power lines!"), they want results. If I'm not feeling well my output (and my compensation) suffers. Should my publishers feel sorry for me and pay me any way, even if I don't deliver?

-dave

I am sure you get paid, even if your product is late. I am sure they don't watch you every minute of every day and pay you according to how you performed each day, do they? If so, does that mean you make more one day than the next day??? I know I don't and I have days where I am producing more than the next day, I believe that's true with most of us here. That's my only point.

When we stayed in FLL the night before our last cruise we went out to dinner across from the beach at a place with outdoor seating. Can't remember the name, but one I will never recommend. The setting was nice but the service was pathetic. Possibly the worst we have ever expeirenced. When the check came it had an auto 18% tip added in. I about blew my top. The first time I ever asked the waitress to take me to the manager. It was not pretty but I got the 18% removed.

Just evidence that when there is no incentive service always suffers.

Tipping? We were on the Amsterdam the week of 9/12/2004, the service we received in the Pinnacle was horrific! They should have tipped me for not having a screaming episode on the worst service I received the entire trip. I am glad to hear others have not experienced the dreadful service we did. For example. I asked for my water glass to be refilled four (4) times before it was finally done. Our entrees were served over the course of 10 to 15 minutes, granted there were six of us at the table. We ordered a second bottle of wine, which they were instructed to bring us exactly what we had ordered in the first place, of course they brought something entirely different. On the other hand the food was excellent. Perhaps they will get competent service one day.

How do you tip in the Pinnacle Grill? Do you need to use cash or can you it be charged to your account? Or is a gratuity already added in, such as with bar purchases?

If you choose to tip in the Pinnacle - you can only do so in cash.

However, if you read HAL's tipping guidelines, the Pinnalce staff share in the pooled tips which HAL deems as a sufficient reward for excellent service. Obviously anyone is free to tip more - but HAL is basically saying your tip for the Pinnacle staff is included in your $10/ per person per day tipping charge

If you choose to leave automatic tipping in place, you still, most absolutely, may tip more to Pinnacle Stewards.

The pittance that filters down to them in no way begins to say a proper thank you for the excellent service we (almost always) have enjoyed in all the Pinnacle meals we have enjoyed. I cannot receive such fine service and leave without tipping in person, in cash.

I would say that HAL disagrees with you. HAL has set the auto tipping to reward all their employees for excellent service. this would include the Pinnacle.

Feel free to tip more if you wish - BUT do not say "The pittance that filters down to them in no way begins to say a proper thank ". HAL itself would disagree with that comment

We ate twice at the Pinnacle on the new Westerdam and left no tip because we were told that all additional tips must be pooled. We saw no one else leaving tips at other tables. (I kept watching just to make sure.) Why have an automatic tipping policy in the first place if you still must tip 'certain' staff? They are doing their job, not doing anything special. (I usually tip at least 20% at a fine land restaurant just in case you think I'm just antitipping.)

Agreed Digby, agreed

I believe the auto tip is for the wait staff in the main dining room, room stewards and some others.

The Pinnacle is an "extra" and the staff there should be tipped commemsurate to the service you receive.

Ted - this is incorrect info. Please read HAL's literature. ALL other staff - including the Pinnacle staff are covered by the auto-tip in place

I'm sorry, but how can you possibly KNOW what someone else does or does not tip? This comment seems so silly to me... if I or DH choose to shake hands with staff and pass a $20 would you know?

How could someone else, even one who is "watching closely", possibly pick up on this?

If you don't want to tip - don't. To say you aren't doing it because no one else is doing so is a cop-out, IMO; by reading these boards you know that many others DO tip.

The $10 pp/day is suppose to go a long, long way according to some on this board. I would have to agree that by the time it reached the Pinnacle it would have to be a pittance. We chose to leave a tip when we dined in the Pinnacle on Zuiderdam. We observed others leaving tips and others we did not see if they did or not. IMO a tip was appropriate all three times we dined. Prior to them eliminating breakfast served in the Pinnacle, we also chose to leave a tip when service was good.

Archived