All things OASIS OF THE SEAS (formerly was: All Things Genesis)

mrcruzer

Oasis of the Seas won't be able to fit under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge so I doubt there will be any pre inaugural sailings out of Cape Liberty.

ahhh..I wondered about that fact as I know they have to add/assemble part of the ship after it leaves the shipyard..not sure what bridge that is in Europe it has to go under and would not fit either.

ahhh..I wondered about that fact as I know they have to add/assemble part of the ship after it leaves the shipyard..not sure what bridge that is in Europe it has to go under and would not fit either.

Looks like we'll have to fly to FL for the pre inaugural in 2009. See you there. :)

The Freedom just barely fits under the Great Belt Bridge in Denmark. The Oasis will not fit and there are several rumors about what RCI is going to do. I have read two different things. One is a retractable funnel or that the Viking Crown Lounge will have to be added once the ship passes under the Great Belt Bridge.

http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Indland/2006/04/15/192827.htm

According to a Norwegian newspaper which carried an interview with the ship's chief engineer, "Freedom" passed under the bridge doing 18-19 knots. This was done to increase the squat effect (making the ship burry deeper into the sea). The maximum clearance of the Great Belt Bridge is 65 metres, according to the newspaper, and "Freedom"'s highest point above the waterline is 63.7 metres!

that's an intersting statistic..the new Genesis ship is only 48' longer than the Queen Mary, yet has almost 3 times the passenger capacity..

QM2 is very long and skinny. That's what allows her to cross the ocean so fast. She travels at 27 or 28 knots, which is much faster than many larger ships. the Genesis will have a much better width, which allows for all the neat things that will exist on her.

We've been on big and medium ships now and I have to say, it has so much less to do with size than it does design. We've been on ships with really high space per guests ratios (HAL) and spent more time standing in line than we did on much larger ships. Before we went on Navigator, we feared that we'd constantly be oppressed by people everywhere but that was not our experience there and we don't expect that on Oasis, either.

Carol,

Molly and I did an Explorer 9-day, exactly one year ago. I've been jonesin for a cruise, but with a job change last August, it was hard to schedule. Ernie alerted us to the new sailings added for Solstice, so Molly and I booked it. Ruth (and her sister), and Ernie (and his partner) will also be sailing with us. I look forward to it!!

Hopefully, I can squeeze an RCI cruise into spring of next year before Oasis in the fall.

T

Carol,

Molly and I did an Explorer 9-day, exactly one year ago. I've been jonesin for a cruise, but with a job change last August, it was hard to schedule. Ernie alerted us to the new sailings added for Solstice, so Molly and I booked it. Ruth (and her sister), and Ernie (and his partner) will also be sailing with us. I look forward to it!!

Hopefully, I can squeeze an RCI cruise into spring of next year before Oasis in the fall.

T

Have you been on too many cruises when you start to recognize names in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with you?????............................................Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I have sailed with Ruth and her sister Connie. Also sailed with Earnie and Cristophel (Sp) but didn't really get to know them that well.

I know Ruth is looking forward to the Solstice.

I was at Ruth's for dinner when I was in PHX, great lady.

Enjoy your cruises.............

g

I was attending a conference today here in Sacramento and the Royal Caribbean rep spilled a couple of secrets about the Oasis of the Seas that I have not heard or read about before that I would love to share!

The first is that they are designing the ship with 2 levels for Embarkation and Debarkation. This will allow for a quicker process to empty and fill the ship.

The second is that they are planning to use the same idea as the Celebrity Solstice for adjoining rooms. Solstice's adjoining rooms feature a separate cabin corridor or "vestibule" in the hallway in lieu of one door connecting the two cabins from the inside. Within the corridor, you'll find two more doors, one to each cabin. Having separate doors in the hallway -- rather than one door in between the rooms -- may cut down on noise pollution. On the deck plan of the Solstice, I noticed quite a few adjoining rooms. I thought this was odd as no one wants an adjoining room door if they don't plan on using the cabin. Actually, adjoining rooms on these ships are going to be a positive.

I have sailed with Ruth and her sister Connie. Also sailed with Earnie and Cristophel (Sp) but didn't really get to know them that well.

G,

What a small world! Yes, she is a great lady, and I imagine she makes an impression everywhere she goes.

T

Oasis of the Seas won't be able to fit under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge so I doubt there will be any pre inaugural sailings out of Cape Liberty.

Major Bummer. :( Awww.

Wow, she is that tall huh? No retractable funnel?

The Freedom just barely fits under the Great Belt Bridge in Denmark. The Oasis will not fit and there are several rumors about what RCI is going to do. I have read two different things. One is a retractable funnel or that the Viking Crown Lounge will have to be added once the ship passes under the Great Belt Bridge.

http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Indland/2006/04/15/192827.htm

According to a Norwegian newspaper which carried an interview with the ship's chief engineer, "Freedom" passed under the bridge doing 18-19 knots. This was done to increase the squat effect (making the ship burry deeper into the sea). The maximum clearance of the Great Belt Bridge is 65 metres, according to the newspaper, and "Freedom"'s highest point above the waterline is 63.7 metres!

I believe that is the bridge I sailed under on the Star Princess during my Baltic cruise last June. Somewhere I have pictures of that bridge and it is actually a really impressive bridge.

Just a few more days until we get to see the rest of the neighborhoods and what else this ship will have to offer.

Gordon ~ I expect this thread to be pretty busy in a few days.;)

I hope one thing we learn is booking dates and date of inaugural cruise. I don't expect to see deck plans on Wednesday but one never knows.

Emmy: If there's only 2 months or less to bookings opening, I wouldn't be surprised to see the deck plans unveiled. I could be wrong, but the way the hype for this event was worded, I think they will unveil all the neighborhoods. At least I hope so.

Emmy: If there's only 2 months or less to bookings opening, I wouldn't be surprised to see the deck plans unveiled. I could be wrong, but the way the hype for this event was worded, I think they will unveil all the neighborhoods. At least I hope so.

and all the houses(cabins) where the neighbors will live:) okay thinking positive now

After looking through some of the images on the Oasis of the Seas website, I discovered some new features and changes from other ships!

http://oasisoftheseas.com/renders/17488-19_Genesis.jpg

Acording to the picture above, the rock wall will not be on the back part of the funnel, but it will be on the inwards part of it. Also, the golf course is currently being set up, as the giant golf ball is already being set up. It also looks like the Royal Prom will be 3 decks.

http://oasisoftheseas.com/renders/17485-12_Genesis.jpg

I would say that the round thing is the theater, but it does not look like it has enough seats to be the theater. But it could still be.

http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/photos/Ship+Photo+Oasis+of+the+seas/660232.jpg

Is it me, or when viewed at full size, is the back of the boat opened like the CP?

After looking through some of the images on the Oasis of the Seas website, I discovered some new features and changes from other ships!

http://oasisoftheseas.com/renders/17488-19_Genesis.jpg

Acording to the picture above, the rock wall will not be on the back part of the funnel, but it will be on the inwards part of it. Also, the golf course is currently being set up, as the giant golf ball is already being set up. It also looks like the Royal Prom will be 3 decks.

http://oasisoftheseas.com/renders/17485-12_Genesis.jpg

I would say that the round thing is the theater, but it does not look like it has enough seats to be the theater. But it could still be.

http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/photos/Ship+Photo+Oasis+of+the+seas/660232.jpg

Is it me, or when viewed at full size, is the back of the boat opened like the CP?

What you are seeing is the Independence of the Seas rock wall and golf ball. The Independence was docked behind the Oasis until she left the ship yard. This was discussed in some earlier posts.

What you are seeing is the Independence of the Seas rock wall and golf ball. The Independence was docked behind the Oasis until she left the ship yard. This was discussed in some earlier posts.

I feel like an idiot lol. It looks realistic though.

Very easy to get confused when you're looking at all those different photos.:) We will know much, much more tomorrow afternoon since RCI is having a major reveal at 12:30 tomorrow in New York.

Gordon - you know that DH is going to blame YOU for making me want to change to Oasis instead of Serenade. You are so on top of it and your excitement about her is contageous! :D

Gordon - you know that DH is going to blame YOU for making me want to change to Oasis instead of Serenade. You are so on top of it and your excitement about her is contageous! :D

Wait until after tomorrow and we hear even MORE of what this ship is going to offer. With airfare going prices going crazy, he may actually be happy that you want to change.:)

Archived