All things OASIS OF THE SEAS (formerly was: All Things Genesis)

mrcruzer

cruisecrazymama, Where did you get the Oasis countdown clock?

I am not cruisecrazymama but I can tell you our countdown clock was made specially for what was to be the CC group on the Inaugural (before RCCL decided to tell us 6 months later no groups)

Although we are no longer an official group we are still the Critter Family :D and so we decided to keep our fab clock :D

I am not cruisecrazymama but I can tell you our countdown clock was made specially for what was to be the CC group on the Inaugural (before RCCL decided to tell us 6 months later no groups)

Although we are no longer an official group we are still the Critter Family :D and so we decided to keep our fab clock :D

Thanks for the response!

• 3 weeks later...

Morning Everyone,

WOW!! Gordon, When you first see these pictures in the morning really makes my day;) Makes you look to see where you want to book a cabin:confused:

Thanks for the great pictures:cool:

Carol:)

Great photos Gordon ~ thank you for sharing these. Studying them for cabin locations :)

Morning Everyone,

WOW!! Gordon, When you first see these pictures in the morning really makes my day;) Makes you look to see where you want to book a cabin:confused:

Thanks for the great pictures:cool:

Okay so which cabin are you booking???:)

She is coming along very nicely.

Okay so which cabin are you booking???:)

She is coming along very nicely.

A regualr run of the mill oceanview balcony high up :D that is all I will say right now...okay your turn to tell;)

Thanks for posting these fabulous pictures Gordon! I am also studying them for a possible cabin location. Still debating if I want ocean view, or if i want to try one of the new central park locations.

Liz thanks for answering Seaworthy01's question. I'm sorry I didn't get back to catch it myself.:o

Keep up the good work Gordon!:D

A regualr run of the mill oceanview balcony high up :D that is all I will say right now...okay your turn to tell;)

At this time not sure what type cabin we are going to book. Need to see the prices and the deck plans. I wish that they were releasing the deck plans a few days earlier.

At this time not sure what type cabin we are going to book. Need to see the prices and the deck plans. I wish that they were releasing the deck plans a few days earlier.

Gordon ~ who knows maybe those deck plans will get leaked out before the Aug 20th even a day or two earlier. If I recall correctly that is how I received the deck plans via a private email for Freedom

Will be paying close attention to the CC boards...agreed pricing will dictate alot on which cabin is booked.

Gordon, I think I would like an ocean view in the middle on the lowest deck, on the hump if they have one, that is what I had on Freedom and I loved it:cool:

Sorry if this has been answered before, but on oasisoftheseas website, it states that there are 2700 cabins with a capacity for 5400 guests. Does that mean that there will only be two guests per room allowed on the ship? Is that some kind of way of decreasing the number of children on board, or am I reading into it too much (like I did on tests).

thanks

Sorry if this has been answered before, but on oasisoftheseas website, it states that there are 2700 cabins with a capacity for 5400 guests. Does that mean that there will only be two guests per room allowed on the ship? Is that some kind of way of decreasing the number of children on board, or am I reading into it too much (like I did on tests).

thanks

There will be cabins that hold more than two. The total number of passengers on the Oasis will be somewhere between 6300 and 6400 guests.

Gordon ~ who knows maybe those deck plans will get leaked out before the Aug 20th even a day or two earlier. If I recall correctly that is how I received the deck plans via a private email for Freedom

Will be paying close attention to the CC boards...agreed pricing will dictate alot on which cabin is booked.

Word is that Lead in pricing will be available to TAs on 8/19 on Cruising Power.

ML

Genuine innovation buried in hype about Royal Caribbean's Oasis

BY SPUD HILTON

San Francisco Chronicle

It's hardly a revelation, but new features on ships are rarely as earth-shaking (or water-churning) or revolutionary as cruise lines make them out to be. And, often, when they do live up to the billing, you know it's going to cost extra.

Flat-screen TVs in every room. Yawn.

A celebrity chef's name on the menus. Ho-hum.

Yet another specialty restaurant -- for $20 more. Sigh.

That said, Royal Caribbean is building a ship that, even when you eliminate the superlatives of biggest and tallest, is noteworthy -- even among cruisers who believe they've seen it all -- although not necessarily for the reasons Royal Caribbean thinks.

When it launches in December 2009, Oasis of the Seas will be larger than any other passenger vessel on the planet: 220,000 gross registered tons and room for 5,400 passengers. (By comparison, 220,000 tons is about the same as the tonnage for the Queen Mary 2 and the Queen Elizabeth 2 combined.) But what good is bigger if you don't do something with the space? When the QM2 was launched in 2004 as the biggest ship, there were large areas that didn't serve a purpose and seemed empty.

This ship, however, will be on the other end of the spectrum, for good or bad: filled to the walls with distractions, diversions and a whole new set of seemingly land-based ''wow'' features from the same folks who equipped previous ships with boxing rings, skating rinks and surfing machines.

Oasis will be the most ''terrapomorphized'' vessel to date (a word I made up for ``made to resemble land''). In short, it will be the ultimate houseboat.

Passengers will stroll up a building-lined street, through neighborhoods and past park-like gardens, according to company statements and artist renderings. There will be a water-show amphitheater and (wait for it) a zip-line. Just like on land, only with better drink service.

But the big innovation here isn't in the much-publicized ''wow!'' features (which we'll get to in a moment). What's new and, well, water-churning, is a ship shape that allows more passengers to connect with the outside. Designers took the interior Royal Promenade from earlier ships -- a narrow, four-story corridor down the middle of the ship that is longer than a football field and creates the atmosphere of a city street -- and took off the roof.

Oasis will have what can only be described as a 62-foot-wide slot canyon running 328 feet up the middle of the ship, with a main street and gardens at the bottom and high walls made of the inward-facing windows and balconies of more than 300 cabins. Unlike the inward-facing cabins on the old Royal Promenade, these will have sunlight and sea breeze and -- because the slot canyon will continue out the stern of the ship -- some small slice of an ocean view.

Royal Caribbean, which is revealing details of the ship in phases, is calling the slot canyon Central Park, and is organizing portions of it into themed ''neighborhoods.'' (The Boardwalk neighborhood, for instance, will be a Coney Island-like stretch complete with hot dog stand and carousel.) There will still be a covered Royal Promenade underneath the slot canyon of Central Park, but it will be twice as wide, two-tiered and have some natural light.

As with any new class of Royal Caribbean ship, there has to be the requisite new ''wow'' features that appeal to the attention-deficit public -- and that make executives at a few other lines take a bullwhip to the company's engineers, screaming ``Why didn't you think of that?''

Here are a few of the notable features on Oasis, and no, I'm not making this up:

• Rising Tide, a bar that will rise and drop three stories like a slow elevator -- albeit a really big elevator that serves cosmos and mai tais -- between the Royal Promenade and Central Park.

• The aforementioned zip-line will be suspended across the canyon, nine decks above the Boardwalk area, about 100 feet up.

• Contemporary two-story urban loft suites that clearly separate the living space and the loft sleeping area, although both share the two-story floor-to-ceiling windows.

• AquaTheater, an amphitheater at the stern of the ship with the largest freshwater pool at sea. At night, the pool will feature ``heart-pounding theatrical performances of dramatic acrobatics, synchronized swimming, water ballet, and professional high-diving, as well as elaborate fountain shows synchronized to music and lights.''

Not everything in the plans is particularly new.

Royal Caribbean has been spending a lot of time and money drawing attention to the ship's themed neighborhoods (it has yet to reveal the full list), but other than covering bigger areas, the concept isn't revolutionary.

The new slotted shape, however, is probably the biggest change to passenger-ship design in the modern era of cruising. (The shape also is noteworthy if only because the company took space that typically would have had hundreds more cabins and turned it into empty sky -- a rare instance of forgoing revenue to do something different.)

With the new design will be new issues: Will the funnel exhaust waft into Central Park? Are we going to pay extra for each new feature? Will passengers with inward-facing cabins have any privacy on their balconies? Will a ship with 5,700 people be plagued with waiting in lines that rival those of Soviet-era bakeries?

I'm guessing that before the maiden voyage is over, the online communities boards at CruiseMates and CruiseCritic will be lit up with opinions on what works and what doesn't. The bigger the ship, the bigger the target and, yes, the more that can go wrong. We'll see.

Oasis will sail Caribbean itineraries out of Fort Lauderdale.

For more, visit www.oasisoftheseas.com.

the aqua theater sounds cool but what happens if it starts raining during a show it will be kinda pointless......hopefully it will also have an indoor theater like all the other ships i think it will be well needed.......also i wonder how the dining room will be. 5400 people is a lot of people to feed.....hopefully the dining options arent like NCL's.......i like the traditional ways more

Does anyone have an update as to pricing yet???

Pricing has not been released at this time. As we know it now, the deck plans are going to be out for Crown and Anchor members on 8/20 and will be available by logging into your C&A account on RCI's website. It's a guess on pricing but at this time it may not be released until the morning of 8/21 when bookings open for Diamond and Diamond Plus members.

Archived