What's the Best Salmon Bake in Alaska?

cctn

I am trying to plan our excursions for our AK cruise this coming May - what is the best place for a salmon bake? We went to the one in Juneau on a previous cruise and was wondering if there are others that are better or equal?

ThankYou, Corkey

I am trying to plan our excursions for our AK cruise this coming May - what is the best place for a salmon bake? We went to the one in Juneau on a previous cruise and was wondering if there are others that are better or equal?

ThankYou, Corkey

Corkey, I'd have to pick the Taku Lodge Flight & Feast. It's an memorable excursion flying over the glaciers in a float plane, landing on the Taku River, eating delicious Salmon cooked over an open fire, going on a nature walk in a remote rain forrest, then flying back to Juneau, but it is the best Salmon we've had!

http://www.takuglacierlodge.com/taku-lodge-glacier-flight.html

IMG_3128.jpg.f379304e154af604bc50ca7e291a86f7.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg.a08c2f934a10c31908e4cd138389c2dc.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg.a1d1ec342a4184e4a0d3ab797f3f6e6f.jpg

Thank You Everyone for your input - I will consider them all and pick something and will have a super great time!!

We leave in May on the Serenade - only my 2nd AK cruise -- looking forward to it very much!! THanx again.. Corkey

The trouble with a salmon bake is that the food is mass-prepared. If you really want high quality salmon, go to a restaurant.

We really enjoyed the salmon bake at the Thane Ore House in Juneau. It included an all you can eat salad bar and the salmon was prepared while we went thru the line. They also did the Beer-Battered Halibut to order. By the way this is a restaurant and if you don't want the all you can eat version, you are able to order just salmon or just the halibut. To say it was delicious is an understatement!

The best part is that the folks at the Thane Ore House will be pick you up in Juneau and take you back.

Here's the link:

http://www.thaneorehouse.com/

We really enjoyed the salmon bake at the Thane Ore House in Juneau. It included an all you can eat salad bar and the salmon was prepared while we went thru the line. They also did the Beer-Battered Halibut to order. By the way this is a restaurant and if you don't want the all you can eat version, you are able to order just salmon or just the halibut. To say it was delicious is an understatement!

The best part is that the folks at the Thane Ore House will be pick you up in Juneau and take you back.

Here's the link:

http://www.thaneorehouse.com/

This sounds good - thank you - may be the same restaurant we went to a while back when we were in AK --- thanx again.. Corkey

Yep, I've eaten at the Pioneer Park Salmon Bake, very good. BUT with a cruisetour- you are dependent on their transportation and large group lines.

I am one who is ONLY there at the opening and one of the first through the line. They did not switch to clean plates- EVERY time (state health law in NY). And it makes me ill, seeing how careless people are with reused plates.

They did give you a clean plate- if you asked. Sorry- but only my opinion.

SEPYLE: In your past experience, is it necessary to make advance reservations for thaneorehouse in Juneau? We are doing Harv&Marv's whale watch in the morning, and hope to be back for lunch by 11:00 am.The salmon bake sounds like a great idea. Of course there will be several cruiseships in port the day we are there.

YES, you need reservations, otherwise you aren't going to get picked up and shuttled to their restaurant. It's a busy and small place. If you choose to, you can also get a cab. The Thane Ore House is located 4 miles south of downtown.

Archived