Traditional dinning - table size

chunbon

we will be going on the Grand next year. Travel agent has assigned traditional dinning for us. Can we select the table size even for traditional dinning? We have 2 kids and really just want to keep a table for four instead of dinning with others. We went on Celebrity before and we were able to pick our table size the first thing we got on the boat. Does it work like that at Princess Grand? :)

Travel agent has assigned traditional dinning for us

Have you thought about Anytime Dining? I don't know how old your children are, but if they are pre-teen then their evening activities start at around 7 p.m. till 10 p.m. I know that often my own children didn't want to miss out on all the fun, so personal dining gave our family some flexibility. Sometimes we ate together as a family (at a time that suited us all) and sometimes my husband and I were able to enjoy a leisurely dinner for two (a rarity in our household).

I would consider looking in to Anytime Dining(PC). That way you can be sure you are going to get a table for 4 and with kids it is nice not to be tied to a certain time you have to eat everynight. The menu is exactly the same as the Traditional Dining room.

Scott

chunbon - have your TA make a request of Princess for a table of 4 now. Don't wait until you have boarded the ship. Since you are confirmed traditional seating it should be not problem. Coral is correct, Princess wants to know at time of booking traditional what size table you want. If you expressed a desire with TA already hopefully it has been taken care of.

Enjoy you cruise with your family!

I have been on 2 princess cruises & 1 comming up in march, Have never asked for a paticuler table size & have always got the table size of our group.

First cruise on the Dawn in 98 with 6 people & got a table for 6.

Next on the Golden in 2003 with 4 people & got a table for 4.

This time we are on the Caribbean in 2005 with 7 people & Princess site says we have a table for 8.

We where even on the Disney Magic in 2001 with 4 people % got a table for 4.

Hope it works out for you this way...

Tom

Dawn Princess 03/98

Disney Magic 3/01

Golden Princess 3/03

Caribbean Princess 3/05

I really can't understand for the likes of myself why would someone want to box themselves into a preset dinning time at 6:00pm or 8:30PM when PC offers the flexibilty of eating actually when your hungry?....the only thing you are missing by not taking Traditional Seating first or second seating is the Dog and Pony Show for the baked alaska!...that's it...even so you still get to eat it on PC Dinning in the Dinning Room as it is called La Bombe Diplomate!...they just don't do the waiter line in front of you thats all!

Highroller although PC dining is a perfect fit for a large number of travelers it does not fit all. We travel with a group of 6 to 8 others and we always go with traditional dining. Since we always sit together (Princess has been great in always getting us a large enough table :D ) can you just imagine how much time it would take to get a group that size to decide on what time they all want to eat dinner. :eek: :eek: The entire afternoon would be taken up having to make that decision. And, our rule #1 on a cruise is NO decisions beyond what scrumptious food from the menu we will order. If anyone gets hungry before our late sitting, with little to no effort one can find something to snack on somewhere on the ship. A bit of a nibble goes well with out drinks out on our connecting balconys. We also enjoy having the same wait staff each night as their service is really a personal notch above what one gets with PC (and before you ask, yes I used PC dining when I took my Mom to Alaska). Guess it just boils down to "a personal choice" - what a perfect name, maybe some enterprising cruise line should adopt it! ;) Barb

As the others have said, your TA would have let Princess know your table size choice in addition to Traditional dining.

If your children are small, I agree that Anytime Dining would be an option. If they're older, I vastly prefer Traditional. I enjoy the more leisurely pace of the meal, getting to know not just the waiters but also tablemates if we have them, the people around you (which does happen), and the personalized attention that you get from Traditional. Eating late isn't a problem for me -- I just adjust my lunch time or have some fruit in the afternoon. We usually meet for a cocktail and listen to the piano music before dinner.

Chunbon, everyone has $10.00 per day added to their shipboard account to pay tips to their waiters and room steward. It doesn't matter if you have traditional or personal choice. You can increase or decrease the amount. We have always had superb waiters and stewards on Princess and have always felt the need to give extra. Have a great cruise!

No... there is no charge for ice cream from the dining room. However, on some ships, there is a specialty ice cream area and there's a small charge for that. But there is no extra charge for ice cream in general and you can have all you want. I happen to love the Princess ice creams.

You can buy a soda card which gives you unlimited soft drinks from the bar (no cans -- those are extra). It's pretty reasonable -- less than on RCI. Yes, you can bring your own soft drinks on board.

Archived