Customs easier in ORD or JFK on AA?

cadburysmom

Hi American Airlines experienced int'l travelers,

I need help deciding on AA return flights from Rome after my Med cruise this summer. As there are no direct flights into RDU, my options are to change planes in either Chicago O'Hare or Kennedy airports.

My first question is whether I'll go through customs in my layover city or will I do that at my final destination, RDU? And if I do have to go through customs in the layover city, which one is easier? The flight time through JFK is slightly shorter but if ORD is easier, I'd do that one.

Thanks in advance for your input! :)

I need help deciding on AA return flights from Rome after my Med cruise this summer. As there are no direct flights into RDU, my options are to change planes in either Chicago O'Hare or Kennedy airports.

My first question is whether I'll go through customs in my layover city or will I do that at my final destination, RDU? And if I do have to go through customs in the layover city, which one is easier? The flight time through JFK is slightly shorter but if ORD is easier, I'd do that one.

You will go thru customs at your first stop in the US. In your case JFK or ORD.

Both are large airports with lots of international flights. I have not seen any real difference in customs & immigration between the two.

You will clear immigration AND customs at your first arrival point in the USA. Two separate procedures-one to check your passport, then grab your luggage, walk it through customs (with your airline form PROPERLY filled out), then give your luggage back to the transit desk. On to your RDU flight.

Just my personal opinion, but I think the immigration officers at JFK are just a little sharper and a little faster than the ones at ORD. Customs is VERY rarely a problem. Sometimes luggage on AA from an international flight can take a LOOOONG time, so make sure you have enough connection time.

I always do a search to find out what other international flights are arriving about the same time. Then I know whether I should RUN to immigration or whether I can take my time.

Good luck!!!

I'm not an experienced AA passenger, but one thing did occur to me.

Is it right that a flight via JFK would connect through the T8/9 complex? And that a flight via ORD would involve arriving at the international terminal (T5?) and then transferring to another terminal (T3?) for the onward flight.

If so, it may be that one thing that's easier at JFK is simply not having to (substantively) change terminals.

Is it right that a flight via JFK would connect through the T8/9 complex? And that a flight via ORD would involve arriving at the international terminal (T5?) and then transferring to another terminal (T3?) for the onward flight.

If so, it may be that one thing that's easier at JFK is simply not having to (substantively) change terminals.

I cannot comment specifically about customs and immigrations at either airport ... I do know that the terminal change at ORD should not be a big problem. There is a free tram that runs about every 5 minutes and will whisk you between T5 and T3 in less than 5 minutes. Well, then, it's another trip thru Security ... and the checkpoint wait times can be unpredicable. Sorry, no experience with New York.

Yes, JFK will NOT require a terminal change. ORD will. But it is pretty easy to change terminals in ORD.

I stand by my statement that flying internationally through JFK is easier and faster.

Greatam said:

"Just my personal opinion, but I think the immigration officers at JFK are just a little sharper and a little faster than the ones at ORD."

Hey thats MY airport your dissing... but I would tend to agree. While we midwesterners pride ourselves on being polite, if you are a foreign passenger with questions, ORD international term 5 is not very accomodating..if you don't speak english, they will translate for you by repeating whatever crowd control instructions at you IN A LOUDER VOICE. Foreign passengers end up looking befuddled and they then move slower through the line. It is not unusual for me to try to assist a couple of them in what they should do next, as we wait in the line. Not that JFK is known as being "warm and fuzzy" to its arrivals either, but I am just saying...

They also don't seem to pick up the pace when 3 -4 planes have all landed at the same time, so you made a big mistake if you stopped off at the bathroom before customs, and let 300 people in front of you in line.

On the positive side, my luggage has always been ready for collection by the time I clear immigration.

I think that all things considered, the trip from the plane, through customs, to pick up your bag is not much longer than if you arrived domestic at the end of C terminal, and had to walk the distance to get your bag, and had the common wait.

Bottom line: I wouldn't adjust my flights for this reason alone. Go with the most logical connections in terms of time from your last nights bed in Rome to your front door.

Thank you all for your helpful input!

Greatam, don't know if you remember or not but you were a BIG help months ago when I was trying to decide which airline. Made me chuckle about the airline form needing to be PROPERLY filled out...so that musta been YOU behind me on my last trip ;)

and Capsu78, too funny about terminal workers repeating in a LOUDER voice...very big of you to admit this about the home team :p

Seriously though, thank you all for your responses. Heaven knows I need all the help I can get!

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it would be difficult. But it is one more step in the process that simply isn't there at JFK.

I didn't take it that way. I am just the oddball who happens to REALLY like JFK. Maybe it's the "hub of the world" thing -everyone just seems more "on" at JFK.

Yes-changing terminals is a pain. One reason I have been driving or flying to LAX for my monthly NYC meeting. PHX/DFW or ORD/JFK or LGA was getting to be a pain. Nonstop LAX/JFK with lie flats is the ONLY way to go.

Yes-changing terminals is a pain. One reason I have been driving or flying to LAX for my monthly NYC meeting. PHX/DFW or ORD/JFK or LGA was getting to be a pain. Nonstop LAX/JFK with lie flats is the ONLY way to go.

You actually drive from PHX to fly non-stop to JFK? Isn't the drive at least 5 hours? You must really hate MD-80's and DFW and/or really love that seat. :)

BTW - what do you think of the long trudge from the Terminal 4 to TBIT immigration and customs on AA these days? I guess after spending over a billion $ at JFK not much was left over.

Archived