Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

No, the Tsawwassen terminal is located on the mainland some 40 kms south of Vancouver, it is the terminal you would use if going to Victoria. Departure Bay is the north terminal at Nanaimo, the other terminal in Nanaimo is the Duke Point terminal and there is a ferry that runs between Duke Point and Tsawwassen but you are going out of your way to take that route.

There is also a bus service from Horseshoe Bay to Downtown Vancouver that might work. It appears to be once a day

only but might be a better option if you have baggage.

http://www.islandlinkbus.com/booking/schedule_inquiries.asp

The city bus runs from Horseshoe Bay to downtown Vancouver, meeting every ferry, leaving from the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal in W.Van. I think it's the #250, $3.75 (2 zones); limited stops until downtown (in fact I can't remember if there are any), heads right down Georgia. I've taken it a few times, and it's just as fast (if not faster due to bus lanes) as any other method. http://translink.ca/

If their schedule works for you, I would look seriously at the Island Link Bus as it does save you having to schlep your luggage on and off the ferry and on and off a transit bus that really isn't designed to handle a couple of pieces of luggage for each passenger. I have taken the transit bus both to and from Horseshoe Bay and it works just fine but if I was having to handle luggage for a couple of weeks of traveling I would likely look for alternatives.

Scott - I think the express bus is the 257 - the 250 is the regular Marine Drive route and takes it's time getting to downtown.

Cheers

Dennis

There you have it, the #257 is the express, but the #250 does the route as well (albeit it takes 15 min longer).

I couldn't remember I haven't taken it for about 18 months; but looking at the Translink website you're quite right.

How easy/difficult is it to get to the train in Vancouver (to Seattle) and to get all of our luggage on the train? Can we take a cab to the train station and then get a porter to help with the luggage?

Thank you.

What Putterdude said above is correct - but just in case you are not familiar with Amtrak there are a few quirks on this route.

Most relevant to your luggage question is that unless you're staying overnight there's only one actual *train* you could get - the 5:45pm departure. All the other daytime services are actually buses, with *no* checked baggage facility (i.e. all your bags have to stay with you right up until you climb onto the bus, and also only 2 'carry on' bags per person not 2 + 3 checked bags like the train).

Amtrak's Baggage Policy: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241267293829

The 'no checked bags on the bus' caveat appears when you plug in a route and look at the Bus departure specifics on the service.

If you do stay overnight, the 6:40am departure is the other actual train.

Since you'll have most of the day in Vancouver search the thread for things to do - and remember to factor in storing your baggage for the day, since if you need porter service to load & unload it I assume you will not be comfortable lugging it around with you.

http://www.prioritybaggage.ca/ handles all storage at the pier - you can look just a little further back in the thread for detailed info about why storing bags at the train station is impractical.

Another train question here. My friend and I will be taking the early train from Vancouver to Seattle as we hear it's a beautiful trip. Suggestion has been made to book the business class. Wondering if we should request the "right" side of the train for more scenic views?

Also... how early before departure do we need to get to the train station?

Thanks in advance!

Marilyn :)

There is no advance seat selection so such a request will not be honoured. If you want to be sure that you are on the right side then I would be at Pacific Central station a full 90 mins before departure and even at that there are no guarantees. I sometimes think the view side is a bit overrated, in fact the train only runs beside the water for about a total of 30% of the trip.

We are doing two nights pre-cruise in Vancouver. On the first day, our flight is scheduled to arrive about 1:30, and we will have to make it through customs and to our hotel, which is at Canada Place. The second day, we have a pre-arranged tour to Vancouver Island, Victoria, and Bouchard Park. Third day will be embarkation, and we don't want to do any touring that day. Thanks to the great people on these boards, I know we want to see Stanley Park including the aquarium that first afternoon, but won't have a lot of time to do it. I would love to get to the park, ride around it, and then go back and visit the interesting places such as the aquarium. Bicycles would be great but everyone in my group of four won't do that. The Hop on, Hop off options are very expensive for the amount of time we have. What would y'all suggest for transportation? Thanks for any suggestions and information!

... Stanley Park... The Hop on, Hop off options are very expensive for the amount of time we have. What would y'all suggest for transportation? Thanks for any suggestions and information!

See your query in the other thread (ports of call) for my answer.

If you just want to visit the Aquarium and a few close-by sites then a number #19 bus to and from the park will do just fine.

The park board used to operate a shuttle thru the park but was canceled a few years ago due to cost cutting measures. The Vancouver Trolley now operates a HOHO tour of the park for a cost of $10 each and that is about as well as you are going to do. Unless you are going to walk to the park you will still need to take the #19 bus. Here is a link for your convenience:

http://vancouvertrolley.com/tour/stanley-park-shuttle

There is another option and that would be to rent a car for a half day, that should come at about $40 or $10 each (for some reason I have it in my mind that there are 4 of you), you will however have to pay for parking at various locations through out the park.

Dennis/Urban trekker (or anyone with past experience),

I seem to recall from previous posts that you have ridden Amtrak from Chicago to Seattle. We are taking the opposite journey from Seattle to Chicago after we leave Vancouver in early May. We have booked a Superliner Roomette for the two of us.

This is our first train journey. What should we know about the trip and are there any suggestions you could give us? Plus, any comments on navigating Union Station in Chicago? We will be leaving the train there to overnight and then a flight home the next day.

Just would like to have some idea of what to expect along the way.

Thanks for your input. I have learned a lot by reading all of the posts. All who contribute are extremely helpful and I applaud you for taking the time to do so. Look forward to seeing Vancouver. By the way, we got a room at the St. Regis which an earlier poster said she enjoyed. Fully expect that we will also.

Becky

I have a question for anyone familiar with the area. I just saw on Food TV (Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives) a restaurant in Vancouver called Peaceful Restaurant. It is located at 532 West Broadway. It this anywhere near the downtown area? We are staying at Delta Suites Vancouver. Thanks!!

I have a question for anyone familiar with the area. I just saw on Food TV (Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives) a restaurant in Vancouver called Peaceful Restaurant. It is located at 532 West Broadway. It this anywhere near the downtown area? We are staying at Delta Suites Vancouver. Thanks!!

I am not personally familiar with the restaurant but it has some pretty good reviews. It would be about a $12/$15 cab ride in either direction or you could walk a couple of blocks to Waterfront Station and take the Canada Line to Broadway/City Hall station then walk down to Broadway, turn left and there is your restaurant about mid block. Your fare on the Canada Line will be $2.50 pp each way or $1.75 each after 6:30 pm.

The biggest issue for couples when traveling in a Superliner roomette is who has to climb up to the upper berth - not long after you get on the dining steward will come along with supper sitting times and you get to pick one - typically four people are at each table and they sit as you come in at the first available table - on the Empire builder you will have a small bottle of bubbly either waiting for you or presented by your room steward shortly after booking.

There is also a wine and cheese tasting session in the dining car on the second day - your steward will give you an invite - it is free of charge and they play some trivia and the winner gets the remains of the bottles.

All the trains are non-smoking - a number of the stops along the way are short smoke breaks - you are free to bring and drink you own liqour in your roomette but not in the public areas.

There is a shower on the lower level and washrooms on both the upper and lower level.

You will have the same room steward for the entire trip.

If the schedule I have is correct you will get to see the beauty of the Rockies in the morning. It is beautiful once you leave Kalispell and do the climb up to Marias Pass and down into Browning and Cut Bank - you will follow the Mississipi for many miles coming into Minneapolis and Wisconsin Dells is also an interesting site.

I find the Empire builder - Seattle to Chicago - the best run in the system.

As for Union Station I get loss everytime but it is fairly well signed so if you know your exit you should be okay - I did notice a travel alert on the Amtrak about Union Station in Chicago - believe there is more road work going on outside one of the streets.

Hopes this helps - feel free to ask more questions.

Cheers

Dennis