Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Had a quick look on Groupon and the only one I saw was an expired link to a discount at Dark Table - which is not on Granville Island but in Kitsilano about a mile-and-a-half further west. I really can't imagine there being scope for more than one restaurant of this type so I'm 99% sure this is the one you're referring to! I have not done it here yet myself so can't say one way or another about the quality of food & service.

I know they operate the same way as the original O Noir in Montreal & Toronto by employing local visually-impaired people through the CNIB. In that respect it's great because the employment stats for the blind are terribly low, so any avenue that allows them a new option for work is great in my book.

Conceptually, if you've never tried eating food without using your vision it is an experience worth trying - definitely makes the food seem different, it's amazing how much vision or lack thereof impacts your smell & taste. Frankly the Groupon discount was pretty crappy for a restaurant anyway - I can't imagine many people finding the experience worthwhile at $54 but not so at the regular price of $78... decent value for a three course meal for two in the first place.

Thank you so much. I have appreciated all the great info contained in this thread!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes both of the little ferry services go from near Science World to Granville Island - here's a link to one of them

http://theaquabus.com/

the other company is false creek ferries - routes and rates are similiar.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Dennis

Have a priceline reservation at the Hyatt on Burrard street. Will be coming from the airport.

I'm by myself and in good shape. So I don't mind a little walk.

Looking at google maps and the canada line map, looks like either I transfer at Granville, at the waterfront station or I get off at City Centre and walk. Looks like 3 or 4 tenths of a mile.

Is it an easy walk? Id really like to avoid transferring to a different line but also don't want to lug my luggage for longs ways. Google maps can make things look easier than they are.

Comments?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Get off at City Centre Station. If you can roll your bags, it's an easy level walk. No need to transfer.

Also an easy downhill walk from the Hyatt to Canada Place when you're ready for your cruise (provided you're leaving from CP).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by ell52

Get off at City Centre Station. If you can roll your bags, it's an easy level walk. No need to transfer.

Also an easy downhill walk from the Hyatt to Canada Place when you're ready for your cruise (provided you're leaving from CP).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank You

Hi experts..We (family of 5 adults) will be staying for one night pre-cruise at the Canadian - Worldmark timeshare. We arrive late on Sunday night at YVR and will take a van taxi and we don't check out until 11am. Any recommendations for breakfast. The Canadian is located across from the Sheraton Wall at 1080 Hornsby Street. We would like something memorable prior to the start of our cruise. Also when we go to Canada Place is the walk difficult its about 8 blocks/1 mile I think? THANKS

Yes, this has been dicussed in a number of threads if you do a search. Remember though if you do the Amtrac Bus it is a bus and not the train. Evidently there is only one train in either direction each day. So you may want to do some checking on priceing from other bus lines or shuttles. Here is a website that I have copied from the Port of Vancouver's web site: http://www.quickcoach.com/ and they will take you right to the cruise ship terminal thus saving cab fares when you get to Vancouver.

This I think they are going to have two daily trains like last year.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Hi experts..We (family of 5 adults) will be staying for one night pre-cruise at the Canadian - Worldmark timeshare. We arrive late on Sunday night at YVR and will take a van taxi and we don't check out until 11am. Any recommendations for breakfast. The Canadian is located across from the Sheraton Wall at 1080 Hornsby Street. We would like something memorable prior to the start of our cruise. Also when we go to Canada Place is the walk difficult its about 8 blocks/1 mile I think? THANKS

A memorable breakfast, eh? The closest 'rave review' breakfast spot I can think of to you would be Twisted Fork bistro about 500 yards away on Granville. If you'd tolerate a lengthy walk, transit or cab, Medina Cafe is hands-down THE spot to breakfast in though - weekend brunch queues go up to an hour even if it's raining. Caveat depending on the date of your cruise - Medina and parent Chambar are moving, with the former yet to declare exactly *where* it's moving to... but the website will update appropriately, and it may end up closer to your accommodation (right now it's about 1.1 miles away).

Your walk to Canada Place is slightly downhill on average, pretty wide sidewalks, and as long as you avoid peak commuter 8-9ish you won't have trouble wheeling suitcases. Straight down Burrard toward the mountains, hang a right at the end, Canada Place will be on your left (look for the ramp down underneath with a sea of cabs lining up to use it, there's a walkway).

Thanks Martincath. Our Disney cruise leaves on a Monday and we should get to the port no later than 1:00p.m. We have one day post cruise leaving on a Tuesday afternoon. We are thinking of seeing the Capilano Bridge and possibly Grouse Mountain. We are looking at a tour company, but may plan it on our own. At this time, we have reservations post cruise near the airport. I'll probably have more questions, our cruise will be next month - we're celebrating our son's college graduation:D

Have any questions? Well so many of you have helped me when I visit your cities, so hopefully I can help you.

I know the city well and work as a transit driver. And if anyone else from Vancouver knows an answer feel free to help too.

An odd question that has nothing to do with transit - but does anyone know if there is a liquor store near Canada place where one could buy their wine to avoid carrying it on the flight?

This has probably been asked previously, but there are a lot of Q & A here, so my apologies for repeating....

Would the most reasonable mode of transport to get from Canada Place to YVR airport, be to take a cab at Canada Place to the shuttle train for the airport? With luggage I'm thinking it may be too difficult to walk to the station.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

This has probably been asked previously, but there are a lot of Q & A here, so my apologies for repeating....

Would the most reasonable mode of transport to get from Canada Place to YVR airport, be to take a cab at Canada Place to the shuttle train for the airport? With luggage I'm thinking it may be too difficult to walk to the station.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Firstly, Canada Line is not a "shuttle" to YVR in the sense of a direct, non-stop train. It is a public rapid transit commuter system with multiple stops for transit riders that also happens to go to the airport. Secondly, there will be a walk, albeit short, at both ends. (From Canada Place, it is a slight uphill one block walk, around a corner and another block or so to the station.) Only you can decide if you can manage it.

If you can't manage to walk with your luggage from Canada Place to Waterfront Station, then you may as well take a taxi all the way to the airport. Imho, it's not worth it to take a cab just to go around the corner to the entrance of Waterfront Station.

Hi.

I see that the Canada Place Canada Day website has been updated. Here's the link to the fireworks site. http://www.canadaday.canadaplace.ca/Fireworks

It talks about where you can't see the fireworks and where you can but I can't tell specifically if we'll be able to see them from where we'll be.

Will we be able to see the fireworks on Canada Day from the Pan Pacific?

Thanks much.

That's a good question - I am trying to remember from previous years if people lined the promenade along Canada Place to watch them and I can't remember. You may not see the ones from Dunvarade but I would think that you will see the ones from Coal Harbour from the hotel provided you have a west facing room.

Sorry I can't be more of a help on this question.

I see it says it is viewable from the Lower Lonsdale area which is directly across the harbour from Canada Place and the Pan Pacific and judging by where it says you can view it in Stanley Park - rowing club to nine oclock gun you should be okay. If I remember correctly some areas are closed off to the public as the sponsors sell seats for the best views.

Cheers!

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker
further info

I see a lot about how to get from the airport to Canada Place on the Skytrain but I am not finding a lot about how to get from Canada Place to the airport. I did read if you were in a certain area without a ticket you could be fined. Can someone provide the route and where to buy tickets? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Pre-Olympics (last time I was there) there was a food court on the bottom

floor under the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel. McDonald's, Subway, etc.

Is it still there???

Yes, it's still there.

If u have not sen other advise

The route to,waterfront station is well marked from inside the cruise ship,terminal. Also ship,staff use the identical pedestrian route into the city, so talk to,the desk staff. There is waterfront station entrance on the left hand side of the street soon after you leave Canada place. i cant recall if it has down escalator, but it will have elevators to take you to the right level. Waterfront has help ful transit staff in the concourse. We even had one the offer to.take us to.the fare card purchasing machines and show us how to put our money in. I,believe you can use a credit card for your tickets and you,can buy all,of the cards u need at once.

i forget what the one way fare to,yvr is, but believe for adults it s 3.50. The machines do not give change, so,you ,need 2 canadian quarters for each ticket plus 3 dollars in looneys and tooneys. try to get change before iboarding your ship - if you,havent used a card.

Two Canada line trains head from water front to richmond. They take identical routes to richmond. At the first richmond stop, the bridge port turns to the right for Bridgeport and a shopping centre, the Yvr train heads to the right and stops at Yvr. You can take either train. As you,approach bridgeview on a Bridgeport train,an announce ment will,tell.you,to,leave that trsin and get on the Yvr train which follows not 5 minutes later.

If by chance you goof and dont get off Bridgeport train at bridgeview, leave the train at the next station and usenthe elevator to,go,dow nnd come back up,to the north bound platform youmcan repeat thatmsame operation at bridgeview to get pack to,the Yvr platform and you can have small,adventure en route and see small bit of richmond.

From waterfront to the fraserriver, the Canada line runs underground. There is nothing to look at except fellow passengers. Take a good look. They,are a wonderful testament to Canada's diversity.

One final caution. Be sure you validate your ticket before you enter platform. Validation machines are handy close to,each entrance and ther is usually a transit person nearby for assistance.

rscbc

typed in superb west coast sushi cafe

If u have not sen other advise

The route to,waterfront station is well marked from inside the cruise ship,terminal. Also ship,staff use the identical pedestrian route into the city, so talk to,the desk staff. There is waterfront station entrance on the left hand side of the street soon after you leave Canada place. i cant recall if it has down escalator, but it will have elevators to take you to the right level. Waterfront has help ful transit staff in the concourse. We even had one the offer to.take us to.the fare card purchasing machines and show us how to put our money in. I,believe you can use a credit card for your tickets and you,can buy all,of the cards u need at once.

Using the entrance on Howe St 1/2 block from the cruise terminal is poor advice. There is no Elevator at this location, it requires an escalator followed by a staircase down to the (wrong) platform, walk the entire length of the platform, back up into the station (elevator at least), walk through the station, and then an elevator/escalator down to the correct platform.

The easier route is walk just past the entrance, turn left and walk two blocks on Cordova until you get to Waterfront station (the big brick building on your left).

i forget what the one way fare to,yvr is, but believe for adults it s 3.50. The machines do not give change, so,you ,need 2 canadian quarters for each ticket plus 3 dollars in looneys and tooneys. try to get change before iboarding your ship - if you,havent used a card.

Pretty much all the information here is wrong. The two zone fare to YVR from Waterfront is $4.00; but the machines do give change from Canadian $. The also accept debit and credit cards, but do not accept US$

Two Canada line trains head from water front to richmond. They take identical routes to richmond. At the first richmond stop, the bridge port turns to the right for Bridgeport and a shopping centre, the Yvr train heads to the right and stops at Yvr. You can take either train. As you,approach bridgeview on a Bridgeport train,an announce ment will,tell.you,to,leave that trsin and get on the Yvr train which follows not 5 minutes later.

There are two trains, one to YVR, one to "Richmond Brighouse". Trains follow an indentical route south to "Bridgeport" and then go either to YVR or "Brighouse". If you get on a Brighaus train, don't fret, just get off at Bridgeport and get on the next train to YVR. Same Platform; 3 mins apart