Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Probably. Do you have an ATM card? Maybe instead of exchanging go to an ATM and take enough money out that you need versus exchanging it. Other wise Visa might be the better option.

This might just be a stab in the dark too but are you a AAA member? Not sure if they would exchange money or not.

With Visa you may care to check what the issuer charges in the way of a foreign transaction fee. This fee will be added to each transaction made out of the US. Fees do seem to vary from issuer to issuer, my experience with Bank of America causes me to keep my card in my wallet when out to the US. :eek:

With Visa you may care to check what the issuer charges in the way of a foreign transaction fee. This fee will be added to each transaction made out of the US. Fees do seem to vary from issuer to issuer, my experience with Bank of America causes me to keep my card in my wallet when out to the US. :eek:

Yes I did consider this and thank you for bringing it up. I checked with Capital One and there are no international transaction fees for that particular card.

Yes I did consider this and thank you for bringing it up. I checked with Capital One and there are no international transaction fees for that particular card.

Yes, I am aware that Capital One does not have a foreign transaction fee however I think that what you will find is that they hide the fee in the form of an inflated exchange rate to compensate for lack of a foreign transaction fee. In fairness I have never quizzed Capital One on the matter but I have asked other banks and they have 'fessed up on it. On a small purchase or charge it doesn't amount to much but on a large transaction it could add up.

Ah thanks I will have to look at my recent transactions. Appreciate all the great information here and looking forward to BC visit! Absolutely loved Winnipeg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. I will look at the ATM option. I kept enough CAD for the skytrain to get from YVR to hotel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If anyone would rather pay CAD cash instead of using their credit card, there is always the Vancouver Bullion. It is not too far from the port (on Pender between Hornby and Howe Street) and there is an office close to the Brighouse Station for those who choose to stay in Downtown Richmond. The rate is a little better then the banks. I usually purchase my currency from here rather then the bank if I'm in need of US cash.

BTW, there are no fees charged.

Edited by Tweedy

If anyone would rather pay CAD cash instead of using their credit card, there is always the Vancouver Bullion. It is not too far from the port (on Pender between Hornby and Howe Street) and there is an office close to the Brighouse Station for those who choose to stay in Downtown Richmond. The rate is a little better then the banks. I usually purchase my currency from here rather then the bank if I'm in need of US cash.

BTW, there are no fees charged.

Thanks, I am staying downtown Vancouver and plan to explore the city will watch for this business.

Thanks, I am staying downtown Vancouver and plan to explore the city will watch for this business.

Tweedy has raised an excellent point re currency exchanges, back in the days that I needed to purchase USD every weekend to go to our cottage in WA I would go to a currency exchange. You will find them throughout the downtown core. The trick is not only to check their exchange rate which is generally posted in the window but also to ask them if there is a fee...if there is then move on to the next one.

Greetings and thank you in advance for your help. Other than the Pan Pacific, are there other hotels in downtown Vancouver with a water view? One that's maybe not quite as expensive as Pan Pacific?

Tons. The Westin Bayshore would be another good choice.

I rather fear that you are going to find all hotels with water views expensive but here are a few that you could try....but be sure to ask for a water view:

Fairmont Waterfront (across the street from the PP)

The Auberge

Fairmont Pacific Rim (won't be less than the PP)

Marriott Pinnacle (has some peek a boo views)

The Renaissance (has some peek a boo views)

Sheraton at Wall Centre (you would need a high floor)

Weston Bayshore (about a $12 cab fare to Canada Place)

Hyatt Regency (may still have some peek a boo views)

Hi! We will be in Vancouver for one day/night and would love a good meal in Chinatown, specifically DimSum. Can anyone recommend a restaurant? Thanks!

The dim sum in Chinatown is not the best. If you're willing to go further afield (still in Vancouver), there is Kirin at City Square on Cambie and accessible by Canada Line; also Dynasty on West Broadway and Sun Sui Wah on Main St. The latter two are a short taxi ride from downtown. If you're willing to go further out to Richmond, then there are dozens of good dim sum places.

If you really want to stay in Chinatown, then Floata on Keefer St is your best bet - not terrible, but not good compared to what's available elsewhere.

Thank you very much. I'll take a look at all of these. The Pinnacle at the Pier looks very nice and the cost is quite a bit less than the Pan Pacific.

We're staying at the Pinnacle at the Pier at the end of this month. The person who recommended it stayed there for a get-away with her husband (she lives locally). Another friend has attended a conference there and said it was nice.

Plus, it's close to public transportation, shops/food. All good!

Putterdude:Do you have any suggestions for a hotel near the train station for 1 night. Thanks. Alfred

I am assuming you are speaking of the Via rail station and I am quite certain that there is no hotel near the station that you would want to stay at, it is a pretty seedy area. A 7 or 8 minute cab ride into the downtown core would put you close to the Georgian Court, the Hampton Inn, the Rosedale, Best Western-Downtown, the Delta Suites, Holiday Inn on Howe St. and Blue Horizon. If those don't quite work for you I am sure that we can find something else for you.

We are cruising in July, and I'm thinking of doing the after cruise HAL Vancouver tour and transfer.

• Has anyone done the tour before? Comments?

The tour will drop us off at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport. I realize it is at the airport, but

• will it require a shuttle to the terminal for a domestic flight?

Thanks for any insights!

We are cruising in July, and I'm thinking of doing the after cruise HAL Vancouver tour and transfer.

The tour will drop us off at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport. I realize it is at the airport, but

Thanks for any insights!

Since I live here I can't help you with how good the post-cruise tours are - but I can tell you that you'll be dropped at the airport rather early in the day (before 2pm) if you choose that option, and that your hotel is actually connected to the airport so you could not ask for more convenience in the location re: getting your flight next day.

Thanks for any insights!

The Vancouver Airport Fairmont is right next to the US Departures check-in. For a domestic flight, walk to the left (when facing the building) and you'll come to the Domestic Terminal. No need for a shuttle - a few minutes walk, tops.