Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

I'm the last post on the previous page. Would the same price apply to me? What station should I exit?

Thanks,

Ron

Yes - unless you're a Senior when it would be $7.75 or you arrive after 6:30pm weekdays or any time weekends when the whole system runs as a single Zone ($7.75 for regular folks, $6.75 for Seniors).

Waterfront Station is the one nearest the PP.

Re: your q about tour companies, unless you do a private tour (e.g. using toursbylocals.com or similar) no it doesn't work this way around as you could be arriving any time of day. Tour companies will happily do the reverse (take you from cruise ship to airport via a tour of the city) as everyone can get loaded at the same time.

Edited by martincath

Thanks, but my mother and I will not schlep our luggage on transit. We'll take it at other times but not with luggage.

You do realize the trains are roll-on roll-off and there are elevators. Likely most people walk further through the airport with their luggage than what would be involved in taking Skytrain, but to each their own.

As for the other poster. The fare is $9 ($4 two zone, + $5 airport supercharge). It's slightly cheaper evenings/weekends ($7.75), or if you're a 'concession' (over 65) fare.

You get off at the final stop "WATERFRONT" and then use the exit right on the platform to exit to Granville Street (don't go down the tunnel into the station itself). There is an elevator to street level and once you're on the street, it's a short 3 block walk to Canada Place (slightly downhill)

You do realize the trains are roll-on roll-off and there are elevators. Likely most people walk further through the airport with their luggage than what would be involved in taking Skytrain, but to each their own.

Thank you for the additional info. Perhaps I should explain that my mother is older (I'm not allowed to call her elderly) and does not travel lightly. I truly believe that one who takes transit should be able to easily handle their belongings. I am unable to schlep two large suitcases and my own carryon by myself leaving my DM to handle her own carryon. That is why my original question only asked about taxis or private transfers. If I wanted information about transit, I would have asked about it.

Can anyone else answer whether or not I should arrange a private transfer or just take a cab from the airport? Thank you!

Thank you for the additional info. Perhaps I should explain that my mother is older (I'm not allowed to call her elderly) and does not travel lightly. I truly believe that one who takes transit should be able to easily handle their belongings. I am unable to schlep two large suitcases and my own carryon by myself leaving my DM to handle her own carryon. That is why my original question only asked about taxis or private transfers. If I wanted information about transit, I would have asked about it.

Can anyone else answer whether or not I should arrange a private transfer or just take a cab from the airport? Thank you!

I have been following this thread over the weekend and thought you made your situation quite clear. As I travel with a disabled wife I can understand your situation and always take a taxi. It is a very seamless process, there are free luggage carts in the terminal, there is a taxi line with a starter just outside the the terminal at YVR, the taxi will deliver you and your luggage to the curb outside of the Pan Pacific. The trip will take about 30/35 minutes and will cost about $35. The are limousines at the curb at YVR and Aerocar has a flat rate contract with YVR http://aerocar.ca/rates/flat-rates/ but I am certain that you will find a taxi quite adequate. One of the advantages of a taxi or a limo is that you do get to see a bit of the city compared to the blank walls of a subway tube.

I have been following this thread over the weekend and thought you made your situation quite clear. As I travel with a disabled wife I can understand your situation and always take a taxi. It is a very seamless process, there are free luggage carts in the terminal, there is a taxi line with a starter just outside the the terminal at YVR, the taxi will deliver you and your luggage to the curb outside of the Pan Pacific. The trip will take about 30/35 minutes and will cost about $35. The are limousines at the curb at YVR and Aerocar has a flat rate contract with YVR http://aerocar.ca/rates/flat-rates/ but I am certain that you will find a taxi quite adequate. One of the advantages of a taxi or a limo is that you do get to see a bit of the city compared to the blank walls of a subway tube.

Thank you. That was the type of information I was looking for. Just to be clear, there is no real advantage of a limo over a taxi, is there? I was wondering if a limo driver/private transfer might meet us inside the terminal and help schlep the luggage. Although with free luggage carts, I can easily do it on my own and get to the taxi stand.

Thank you. That was the type of information I was looking for. Just to be clear, there is no real advantage of a limo over a taxi, is there? I was wondering if a limo driver/private transfer might meet us inside the terminal and help schlep the luggage. Although with free luggage carts, I can easily do it on my own and get to the taxi stand.

The only real advantage in a flat-rate limo is that if there is any delay due to traffic or accidents, you will not pay any more than the stated price. In a taxi, you are subject to those uncertainties which could add considerably to the average cost. Normally not a problem -- but no guarantees. It's a call you have to make.

And no, the flat-rate limos will not meet you inside the terminal - that would be an additional cost and you'd need to pre-book for a 'meet and greet' service.

Edited by ell52

The only real advantage in a flat-rate limo is that if there is any delay due to traffic or accidents, you will not pay any more than the stated price. In a taxi, you are subject to those uncertainties which could add considerably to the average cost. Normally not a problem -- but no guarantees. It's a call you have to make.

And no, the flat-rate limos will not meet you inside the terminal - that would be an additional cost and you'd need to pre-book for a 'meet and greet' service.

Just to add on the taxi/limo people are immediately outside the doors (at least the international terminal). You can't cross the road to the parking lot without going through them.

Thanks very much. We won't pay extra for the meet & greet service.

With respect to the potential traffic issues, what do you think the odds would be on a Friday in the early afternoon. I believe our flight comes in at 12:45. We just have to get our luggage and out to the curb; no customs. So, assuming we are out at the curb by 1:30 at the latest, are we likely to encounter rush hour traffic at that time of day? I realize you can't know for sure, particularly with accidents. The flat rate does seem higher than the estimates provided here so am thinking that the regular taxi is the way to go.

I agree with the meter you run that chance of a higher fare. ;)

We will be staying at a timeshare atop the Sheraton for a week pre-cruise in August, schlepping luggage for that week plus the 2-week cruisetour. The skytrain will obviously cost less than a taxi, but how far is the nearest stop from the hotel (and which stop)? Also, is the distance from the hotel to the pier reasonably walkable?

ThanX!

We will be staying at a timeshare atop the Sheraton for a week pre-cruise in August, schlepping luggage for that week plus the 2-week cruisetour. The skytrain will obviously cost less than a taxi, but how far is the nearest stop from the hotel (and which stop)? Also, is the distance from the hotel to the pier reasonably walkable?

ThanX!

it depends which Sheraton you're talking about. As a large city, metro Vancouver has three.

Sheraton Wall Centre (downtown): nearest Canada Line skytrain stop is Vancouver City Centre, about a 5 block walk. About 1 mile from Canada Place

Sheraton Vancouver Airport (richmond): nearest Canada Line skytrain stop is either Richmond-Brighouse or Lansdowne. You will need to change trains at Bridgeport in either case (as you'll be on a northbound train from the airport, and these are south of the airport). About 2-3 blocks. About 8 miles from Canada Place (take the Skytrain into town and walk the 3 blocks to Canada Place)

Sheraton Guilford (Surrey): nearest EXPO LINE skytrain stop is Surrey Central (about 2 miles). Take Skytrain into town and walk the 1/2 block to Canada Place.

What about transportation from the pier to the airport. Are there oodles of taxis just waiting for us? ;)

Don't know about 'oodles', but there will be taxis -- also a long line of passengers. Be patient, or go to street level and get one from in front of a hotel (Pan Pacific or Fairmont Waterfront).

With respect to the potential traffic issues, what do you think the odds would be on a Friday in the early afternoon. I believe our flight comes in at 12:45. We just have to get our luggage and out to the curb; no customs. So, assuming we are out at the curb by 1:30 at the latest, are we likely to encounter rush hour traffic at that time of day? I realize you can't know for sure, particularly with accidents. The flat rate does seem higher than the estimates provided here so am thinking that the regular taxi is the way to go.

These days, rush 'hour' seems to start earlier and earlier. That being said, you will be travelling in the opposite direction of most rush hour traffic anyway. It's mostly southbound out of the city and you will be going northbound into the city.

Hi Vickie!

We're staying at the Hyatt Regency the night before our cruise. Is the hotel within walking distance to the Pier? If not, do you know approximately how much a cab would cost?

Thank you so much!!

Depends on our definition of walking distance! Here's a Google map with walking directions. Distance is approx 700 yards, slightly downhill overall. Cab would be ballpark $5 on the meter to go that far, but would probably double while waiting in the long queue to actually get inside Canada Place to the taxi drop-off area.

Thanks very much. We won't pay extra for the meet & greet service.

I can recall one post from a visitor who had a $50+ cab ride from YVR to downtown - and that coincided with Canada Day (when we have a metric buttload of flag-waving Canucks roaming downtown, street party at Canada Place and so on). My cab rides from YVR to home have averaged c. $33, with a variance of $31 to $36 depending on traffic.

Since the cheapest category of limo (towncar) is over $50 to downtown before adding tax & tip, taking a limo will only save you money over a metered cab in a tiny fraction of circumstances. Unless you need the larger trunk of a towncar (I believe it was just your mom and yourself, 1 large case and a carry-on apiece?), want to spoil yourself with a comfier ride, or feel that $50 extra on top of the limo fare to get a meet & greet/help with luggage from inside the airport is worthwhile there's no advantage of limo over cab.

I can recall one post from a visitor who had a $50+ cab ride from YVR to downtown - and that coincided with Canada Day (when we have a metric buttload of flag-waving Canucks roaming downtown, street party at Canada Place and so on). My cab rides from YVR to home have averaged c. $33, with a variance of $31 to $36 depending on traffic.

Since the cheapest category of limo (towncar) is over $50 to downtown before adding tax & tip, taking a limo will only save you money over a metered cab in a tiny fraction of circumstances. Unless you need the larger trunk of a towncar (I believe it was just your mom and yourself, 1 large case and a carry-on apiece?), want to spoil yourself with a comfier ride, or feel that $50 extra on top of the limo fare to get a meet & greet/help with luggage from inside the airport is worthwhile there's no advantage of limo over cab.

Thanks, Martincath, that's exactly what we were thinking. I just wasn't sure what Vancouver traffic would be like on a Friday afternoon. We will take a cab. No need for the comfier ride. We're already treating ourselves to the PP, so no need to go overboard (so to speak) with a limo.