Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Hi....

Any thoughts on the Sunset Inn and Suites on 1111 Burnaby Street? It gets good reviews and is affordable :)

Anywhere to grab a bite to eat nearby for dinner? Thanks

A tad out of the swim of things but nonetheless a good property in a good and safe location. One of our local posters lives almost around the corner and I am certain he will have some ideas on some modestly priced restaurants nearby.

You are in the midst of a high density residential neighbourhood so finding a place to have a light meal won't be a problem. A taxi from YVR to the hotel is going to run you about $35 and from hotel to Canada Place about $12.

Edited by Putterdude

Thanks

Even a Subway or pizza place would be great!

So, we are going to take a taxi from YVR to the hotel and then a taxi again to the port, does that sound good?

Head north on Thurlow (towards the mountains if it's a clear day and you can see them) to Davie Street - there are many, many restaurants & bars. Right on the two blocks either side of Thurlow you'll find a a couple of Greek places, Denny's, Japanese, Thai, Korean, Pizza, Franco-German, baguettes - the list goes on and on. Do try some of the pastries from Transylvania Traditions. Two of our well-known Poutine places are a block or two further in each direction if you want a very Canadian meal - La Belle Patate & Fritz'.

At this location I'd go with a cab unless you are traveling light or plan to make use of transit a lot while in town - the nearest Canada Line station is quite a schlep away, downhill, so walking to the hotel with big bags would be annoying. The local C23 Community Shuttle bus would drop you within a couple of blocks of your hotel at Davie & Thurlow, but these are small minibuses with no luggage room.

If budget is tight, Canada Line to Yaletown then a cab from there could work out OK - there are always a few cabs outside the Yaletown station, prob. <$10 to the hotel from here as it's only just over 1km. If you're only using transit to get downtown it's not much of a saving - $9 per person for the train plus the cab fare, vs. c.$35 total and less hassle cabbing all the way - but if you picked up some multi-use transit tickets you save $10 right off as there's no airport surcharge so you may pay as little as $2.10 per person for the train ride in (price varies by time, if you use all the tickets in a pack, and whether our fares change with the new swipe-card system being implemented this summer...)

Edited by martincath

We are staying at the Metropolitan Hotel for a few days before heading out via the Amtrak Cascade train to Seattle. How far would the train station be from this hotel? Also, what is the best way to get from the Airport to this hotel on our arrival. Is Stanley Park within walking distance or should we use public transit to get there? Any help would be appreciated.

We are staying at the Metropolitan Hotel for a few days before heading out via the Amtrak Cascade train to Seattle. How far would the train station be from this hotel? Also, what is the best way to get from the Airport to this hotel on our arrival. Is Stanley Park within walking distance or should we use public transit to get there? Any help would be appreciated.

IMO the best option to get to the Pacific Central Station which Amtrak uses would be a cab which will cost you <$15 and take about 10 minutes. Many people walk to Stanley Park but it will be a full 25 mins or so. You could walk a couple of blocks to Pender St. And catch a # 19 bus that will take you into the entrance of the park or walk a half block to Georgia St. And catch almost any westbound bus and get off at a Denman St. And walk the 2 blocks into the park.

I am the local that PD referred to but Martin has given a pretty good list - there is also a Moxie's in the Sandman Inn which is almost across the lane from the Sunset Inn.

Stepho's for greek food - get there early as the lineups are long - good quality with very reasonable prices - if you need any supplies there is a Shopper's Drug Mart close by and a government liquor store and a private wine store called Marquis wines all within a block of the hotel.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

If you can handle your own luggage then skytrain would be the cheapest way to get from your hotel to the Amtrak station - either Burrard or Granville Station are close by. Fare would be $2.75 or $1.75 for seniors 65 and over. It is only 3 or 4 stops along the line and only takes a few minutes to get there.

As others have posted - skytrain isn't for everyone but many people are capable of handling their own luggage so i have posted the information.

Cheers

Dennis

Just curious. I know we are in the minority. I have the Blue Horizon Hotel booked for one night for our pre-cruise from Vancouver. It comes recommended here and gets great reviews. My husband is a smoker ( I am not). Thought, at first, he could smoke off the small balcony they have... but he can not. He can just go downstairs and go outside, obviously. But is there any other good hotel that has a balcony he can smoke on (he doesn't smoke in the rooms). Thanks!

Just curious. I know we are in the minority. I have the Blue Horizon Hotel booked for one night for our pre-cruise from Vancouver. It comes recommended here and gets great reviews. My husband is a smoker ( I am not). Thought, at first, he could smoke off the small balcony they have... but he can not. He can just go downstairs and go outside, obviously. But is there any other good hotel that has a balcony he can smoke on (he doesn't smoke in the rooms). Thanks!

There are a grand total of Zero hotels in Vancouver where you can smoke on balconies. Local bylaws prohibit smoking in common areas of public businesses, close to windows, air intakes etc. Since every hotel balcony is at most within a few feet of the next door room (and rooms above you), balconies are all affected by this law. Some hotels allow smoking *inside* specific rooms, but even smoking rooms have non-smoking balconies. Blame all those inconsiderate folks who would prefer not to inhale poison due to other peoples life choices;-)

Besides, it'll be good practise for on the cruise - or are you using one of the lines that still allow balcony smoking? If you are, and balcony smoking is a requirement for him, you could look at hotels outside Vancouver - the other local municipalities have their own bylaws and may not have an equivalent one, so if a room is smoking, the balcony may be too...

You will not find any hotels that have smoking rooms or balconies in Vancouver. Vancouver and neighbouring Richmond prohibit smoking within 10 ft (6 m) of any door, window, air intake.... Elsewhere in the province of BC the area is reduced to 5 ft (3m). Up until recently the Fairmont Waterfront did have a smoking floor that must have had separate HVAC but out of curiosity I contacted them and that is now gone and they are completely non-smoking. Sorry, DH is out on the street to smoke.

You're close... You want to get off at the last station, "WATERFRONT". At that station, use the exit labeled "WAY OUT - GRANVILLE STREET" right on the platform, don't go down the long tunnel into Waterfront Station itself. This will put you at the corner of Granville and W. Hastings. From there, it's a 3 block walk slightly downhill to the Pan Pacific/Canada Place. Exit the station, turn left onto W.Hastings walk one block, the turn right onto Howe and it's two blocks straight ahead.

Scottbee, you indicated in the above post (dated May 2013) that the last stop on the Canada Line from the airport is the Waterfront Station at Granville and W. Hastings, a 3 block walk to the Pan Pacific Hotel (where we're staying for our Alaska Cruise this May). The Google Maps map appears to bear this out. However, if I look at Street View in Google Maps, there appears to be a station on Howe Street, right around the corner from the Pan Pacific, that's marked SkyTrain - Waterfront Station. It appears to be directly opposite the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel. Is that station not on the Canada Line? Or is it a new station that's been added since you made the above post?

Another question: Do you, or does anyone else, know if the Elephant & Castle Pub on Burrard Street is still open? Their website does not seem to exist anymore. I could have sworn I was able to access their menu a few months ago, but now I get a page that says that the website "expired on 03/06/2011 and is pending renewal or deletion." :confused:

<snip> However, if I look at Street View in Google Maps, there appears to be a station on Howe Street, right around the corner from the Pan Pacific, that's marked SkyTrain - Waterfront Station.

Another question: Do you, or does anyone else, know if the Elephant & Castle Pub on Burrard Street is still open? Their website does not seem to exist anymore. I could have sworn I was able to access their menu a few months ago, but now I get a page that says that the website "expired on 03/06/2011 and is pending renewal or deletion." :confused:

A little expansion on K50's post above - you *can* get to that entrance from Canada Line, but it involves more walking than simply following SBs directions. It leads to the 'other' Skytrain line, the shared Millennium/Expo that runs eastwardish to the 'burbs rather than southish to the airport.

The Elephant & Castles website is here and still functional (they may have had their own separate site way back in the day). However, I would strongly recommend trying ANY of our downtown pubs in preference to the E&C which manages to bring all of the traditional bad qualities of English pubs (surly service, terrible food) together with all of the worst aspects of Canadian pubs (no cask beers, what beers they have over-warm and over-priced).

Just my opinion - but an informed one based on over 20 years of CAMRA membership both sides of the Atlantic;)

Another question: Do you' date=' or does anyone else, know if the Elephant & Castle Pub on Burrard Street is still open? Their website does not seem to exist anymore. I could have sworn I was able to access their menu a few months ago, but now I get a page that says that the website "expired on 03/06/2011 and is pending renewal or deletion." :confused:[/quote']

The E & C should be very much open in the Marine Building on Burrard St. unless it has closed very recently. However, you may care to try Mahoney & Sons in the new Convention Centre just to the west of Canada Place.

http://mahonyandsons.com

• 3 weeks later...
<snip> German food is one of our favourites, too. Would like a step or two up from pizza, and definitely won't do Timmies or McDonalds. This is the start to our vacation; I'm splurging on the PP and want a nice dinner the night before. Not over the top, as we will be eating well for 14 days on the cruise! <snip>

I know it was over three weeks ago, but you still seem to be active on the boards - fingers crossed you spot this note.

Just had dinner last night at Good Wolfe in Yaletown for the first time - they've been open about six months now, but it sometimes takes me a while to work through my To Be Tried list!

I was intrigued to see Späetzle on the menu - as a regular side, orderable with any dish. We had the charcuterie, beef carpaccio, ratatouille lasagne & coq au vin - interestingly made with Gewurtztraminer and cream rather than a robust red. CaV was absolutely delicious, with possibly the best späetzle I've ever had, and a ludicrously big portion for $19 (the most expensive thing we ate too). We also both thought that the steak tartare was the best we've had in a very long time (diced cornichons pushed it over the top), and the rest of the dishes were very good or better. They've gone straight into our regular rotation.

Managed to chat with the owner for a while and he confirmed they're 'Austro-Alsatian' influenced so while many of the dishes sound very French Bistro, they are actually more Germanic in flavour (like swapping out the V with the C for Gewurtz).

Anyhoo - they're a little under 2km from the Pan Pacific on foot, which might be just about enough of a walk to build up the appetite you'll need to handle 3 courses...

I know it was over three weeks ago, but you still seem to be active on the boards - fingers crossed you spot this note.

Just had dinner last night at Good Wolfe in Yaletown for the first time - they've been open about six months now, but it sometimes takes me a while to work through my To Be Tried list!

I was intrigued to see Späetzle on the menu - as a regular side, orderable with any dish. We had the charcuterie, beef carpaccio, ratatouille lasagne & coq au vin - interestingly made with Gewurtztraminer and cream rather than a robust red. CaV was absolutely delicious, with possibly the best späetzle I've ever had, and a ludicrously big portion for $19 (the most expensive thing we ate too). We also both thought that the steak tartare was the best we've had in a very long time (diced cornichons pushed it over the top), and the rest of the dishes were very good or better. They've gone straight into our regular rotation.

Managed to chat with the owner for a while and he confirmed they're 'Austro-Alsatian' influenced so while many of the dishes sound very French Bistro, they are actually more Germanic in flavour (like swapping out the V with the C for Gewurtz).

Anyhoo - they're a little under 2km from the Pan Pacific on foot, which might be just about enough of a walk to build up the appetite you'll need to handle 3 courses...

Thank you very much, Martin! I make my own spaetzle so like to try others in an attempt to improve my own. Mine would not be considered healthy with the brown butter, caramelized onions and lots of parmesan cheese. And I love Coq au Vin!

Would you recommend this restaurant over the Cactus Club?

I appreciate you undertaking this important research on my behalf!

Thank you for this information as we will be in Vancouver for four nights prior to embarking on our cruise in July and this sounds like a great place to eat. Putting in my phone now so I will remember.

Thank you very much, Martin! I make my own spaetzle so like to try others in an attempt to improve my own. Mine would not be considered healthy with the brown butter, caramelized onions and lots of parmesan cheese. And I love Coq au Vin!

Would you recommend this restaurant over the Cactus Club?

I appreciate you undertaking this important research on my behalf!

My cholesterol levels are entirely down to you AQ!!!! ;-)

The spaetzle was nicely browned, definitely butter involved, but no cheese or onions (it was an accompaniment to the entrees rather than a dish in and of itself). I just cut up the chicken (a breast supreme and a thigh) into bite-sized bits, dumped in the dish of spaetzle, and mixed everything together so the cream & bacon sauce coated everything evenly - the proportions were perfect for me.

As a German food lover I would recommend this place over CCC for you AQ, especially if that coq au vin dish remains on the menu.

My cholesterol levels are entirely down to you AQ!!!! ;-)

The spaetzle was nicely browned, definitely butter involved, but no cheese or onions (it was an accompaniment to the entrees rather than a dish in and of itself). I just cut up the chicken (a breast supreme and a thigh) into bite-sized bits, dumped in the dish of spaetzle, and mixed everything together so the cream & bacon sauce coated everything evenly - the proportions were perfect for me.

As a German food lover I would recommend this place over CCC for you AQ, especially if that coq au vin dish remains on the menu.

Oh, my, that does sound like heaven in a dish! I would have done exactly the same thing, dumping the spaetzle into the coq au vin! I do the same thing with the rouladen or sauerbraten that we often serve with the spaetzle. Good thing we only have that once or twice a year! I think your description even convinced my DM, who is German born.

My shoulders are broad, I can handle being blamed for your cholesterol levels! It's not like you did this research for yourself, is it? You did it for me, and for others who are probably drooling as much as I am after reading your description!

Thanks again for the recommendation!

This is a thread that I watched in 2009, while preparing for our first Alaskan cruise ( 7 day Inside Passage on HAL) ; and here we are planning our triple Denali landtour onboard Statendam. We will be celebrations Dh'S birthday, and we will likely be at the Pan Pacific, so can you recommend a restaurant that is primarily fairly conservative in its menu, but will be "special " and within walking distance for this location,

Many thanks,

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

<snip>We will be celebrations Dh'S birthday, and we will likely be at the Pan Pacific, so can you recommend a restaurant that is primarily fairly conservative in its menu, but will be "special " and within walking distance for this location <snip>

Hmmm - so something 'old-school fine dining', good service, good food, but no wacky fusion cuisines, foams, soils or similar fripperies?

First place that springs to mind is Hawksworth, inside the Hotel Georgia, <15 minutes walk even at a very leisurely pace. Hands-down the finest formal service in the city - think cloth napkins with the plain white being replaced by one that matches the colour of your dress, on-site Sommeliers to give wine advice, Chef walking the floor to check in with diners.

An occasional foam may appear on a soup dish, several dishes will have an Asian flavour component, but there are always a few classic preparations solidly grounded in French techniques - and the entire menu can be adapted gracefully (good friends, one of whom is vegetarian, just had their anniversary dinner here last week - aside from the roasted carrot salad there wasn't a single animal-free dish on the printed menu so an entire meal was basically put together from scratch for her. She said it was one of the best meals of her life).

Personally I always enjoy a big shared roast with my DW when we're celebrating, and the Heritage Ribeye for 2 at Hawksworth is outstanding - just ask them to serve any interesting sauces (currently it's chimichurri, an Argentinean spicy sauce, and those guys do know their beef!) in a separate dish so you can avoid it if you don't like it.

Speaking of beef - there are a few Steakhouses in town, all of which are pretty traditional (except Black & Blue - they're trying a bit too hard to be different). The Keg's Dunsmuir branch would be their closest to you - menu here - and while they're very middle-of-the-road on pricing, they excel in good service and the steaks are good (aged 3-4 weeks but not Prime). If anything doesn't meet expectations it will be fixed right away and often comped even after they fix it.

Higher end steakhouses within 15 mins leisurely walk include Hys and Gotham. In both expect to pay $40-60 for a big chunk of dead cow and ~$10 for each Side dish - Hys does include potato or rice in the steak price. Both use Prime beef, aged 4 weeks.

Joe Fortes isn't much further to walk, and is definitely old-school - a few more modern dishes have appeared in recent years, but it's still very easy to eat the kind of fish, chicken or beef dinner that would have been haute cuisine when they opened in the 80s here.

If Italian is OK for you, CinCin on Robson may work too - maybe 20mins on foot from Pan Pacific. Decent range of grilled steaks as well as Italian specialties.

Five Sails (inside the Pan Pacific) and the restaurants of the two Fairmont properties just across from the PP, Oru and Arc, may look a bit too modern for you at first cut, but they do all offer several dishes that adhere to fairly traditional European cuisines - and Oru especially I found to be exceptional in how inclusive their menu is; the web version lists descriptors like Gluten Free, Vegetarian etc. but the actual menu has many categories for different dietary needs (Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Vegan, Diabetic, Low Sodium and I forget what the others were).

You can browse all of the dishes online for all of the restos I've listed above, so go see which ones suit you & your DH the best. I did assume that if you're budgeting for the PP in cruise season and want a special occasion meal that you wouldn't mind it being a bit spendy too - if there's nothing fitting your budget above, just ask for more recos.

This is a thread that I watched in 2009, while preparing for our first Alaskan cruise ( 7 day Inside Passage on HAL) ; and here we are planning our triple Denali landtour onboard Statendam. We will be celebrations Dh'S birthday, and we will likely be at the Pan Pacific, so can you recommend a restaurant that is primarily fairly conservative in its menu, but will be "special " and within walking distance for this location,

Restaurants like food tend to be very subjective so it's a bit hard to define exactly what you are looking for.

I share Martin's view re the distance to Joe Fortes but it has been a touchstone in Vancouver dining for well over 25 years and constantly adapts it's menu for reflect current dining preferences.

Often people in Vancouver want view while they dine....so you may care to try the Cactus Club which is in the new Convention Centre just a stones throw from the PP. A 15 minute walk along the seawalk will have you at Cardero's which may be a tad casual for what you are looking but has some wonderful marine views. In the same neighbourhood is the Lift which may be a little more in line with what you are looking for, excellent food and terrific views.

Another easy walk but east into Gastown is the Water Street Café. I have always enjoyed myself there but no view.

http://www.cactusclubcafe.com/location/coal-harbour/

http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos

http://liftbarandgrill.com/

http://waterstreetcafe.ca/