Newport News bathing suit

vfb2girls

I just got my new bathing suit from Newport News and even though I really like it is is much skimpier then I thought it was going to be. It is a two piece with a halter top and a bottom that has a skirt attached but it must set at least three inches below my belly button. When I read the description I thought they made it sound like it had extra Spandex to help control the tummy, it is prety hard to contol the tummy when it sits way below the belly button. But my husband said I looked fine in it and to go ahead and keep it. I guess from now until November ab crunches will be in my daily workouts!

That may be true but as a 52 year old grandma I do have the old mommy pouch, not bad but I do notice it. I also have the old stretch marks but it does help when I tan. I think I just need to get use to showing so much skin.

vfb2girls

Can you post a pic of suit ?

I too am doing the swimsuit shopping thing right now. Last year was a Carol Wior 1 piece that really helps keep things together. Not only the type of material but the colours & styling .

Looking at the FX suits & the tankinis.

Thinking a 1 piece will hold things together better but I may be wrong:confused:

Would love some ideas here. I am 5'2", 56 years old & carrying extra in the waist & hips.

el tigre

I just got my new bathing suit from Newport News and even though I really like it is is much skimpier then I thought it was going to be. It is a two piece with a halter top and a bottom that has a skirt attached but it must set at least three inches below my belly button. When I read the description I thought they made it sound like it had extra Spandex to help control the tummy, it is prety hard to contol the tummy when it sits way below the belly button. But my husband said I looked fine in it and to go ahead and keep it. I guess from now until November ab crunches will be in my daily workouts!

Newport news has always offered a wide range of styles at great prices. But it is definitely aimed at the younger demographic. I used to order from them years ago when I was younger, slimmer, and had a more youthful figure. I have have tried them a few times recently ( because their styles and prices are still great), but in all cases, regardless of style I have found their bottoms to be skimpy. Ordering up a size did not help - i just found the "waist" (i use that term loosely since the bottoms don't come anywhere near the actual waist) was too big, but there was still not enought coverage in the rear.

I now use Lands End or one of the E-bay online stores.

I agree with the market geared toward the younger crowd. I am usually a size 6 but went ahead and ended up ordering a size 10 bottom and it is slightly loose. As I mentioned before I will keep this swimsuit but will only wear it on the cruise ship. For the excursions we have planned I am going to wear a one piece suit, I think I will find that more comfortable. I will have to try ordering from Land's End, I have heard from others that the swimwear from them has a little more coverage to it.

vfb2girls

Can you post a pic of suit ?

I too am doing the swimsuit shopping thing right now. Last year was a Carol Wior 1 piece that really helps keep things together. Not only the type of material but the colours & styling .

Looking at the FX suits & the tankinis.

Thinking a 1 piece will hold things together better but I may be wrong:confused:

Would love some ideas here. I am 5'2", 56 years old & carrying extra in the waist & hips.

el tigre

I'll also sport tankinis and one pieces. I need to lose about 15 pounds, which I will do by cruise time (7/28 and 8/6). Regardless of how many pounds lost, I'll always have a problem with the top--there just isn't enough fabric! If you're like me and need to try on everything check out Macy, and Boscov if you have them near you. Good luck!!:o

As far as posting a picture, if you just go on to the website and click on the two piece swimwear it is the bathing suit that is done in brown. There are many different styles of tops to choose from and a few bottoms. I might decide to buy a different top since I bought the halter top and unlike a lot of women I am really flat chested, worse now that I have lost 30 pounds, so I am thinking I might just need to buy the bra top that has a little extra padding. Personally I think that shopping for a swimsuit is the most stressful piece of chothing to buy for.

Here are the ones I am currently thinking about.

I am fair skinned with blonde hair & mid 50's.

I am 5,2" & have 20 lbs to loose but anticipate only 10 will go:D

So the tummy is making itself known there & the hips are rising up trying to eliminating the waistline.:mad:

According to Newport News the Bandeau or Malliot are my best choices.

I have been in a black 1 piece with runching at the waist the last few years. Never had one with a skirt or a tankini.

Would appreciate opinions on which 2 to choose. Or if you have a better idea & picture (with name & place to buy) great.

el tigre

I just bought one today at Kohls. I have a horrible time with fitting. The tops were just not covering enough of my 36D boobs! I ended up getting a larger size in the top and the bottoms have attached skirt but it isnt much of one. I will definitely be wearing a coverup until I actually start laying on the beach. Also I have lost 75 lbs and did not exercise so my thighs look like cottage cheese!:eek: Seriously, I cannot believe it. I hope tanning will mask it some. I wish I had tried Newport News.......

Here are the ones I am currently thinking about.

I am fair skinned with blonde hair & mid 50's.

I am 5,2" & have 20 lbs to loose but anticipate only 10 will go:D

So the tummy is making itself known there & the hips are rising up trying to eliminating the waistline.:mad:

According to Newport News the Bandeau or Malliot are my best choices.

I have been in a black 1 piece with runching at the waist the last few years. Never had one with a skirt or a tankini.

Would appreciate opinions on which 2 to choose. Or if you have a better idea & picture (with name & place to buy) great.

el tigre

The fourth one ( Swimdress) is really cute. The 2, 3, & 5 appear to have really high-curtlegs, which in my experience with Newport News, usually means skimpy copverage in back too. It looks like the first one may have a bit more coverage.

Do try Lands End - They have styles similar to all of these (and more ) that also have great fit.

See my earlier post on this thread for more on this.

I was going to order from Lands End. From past experience, I have found their suits fit well, are made well and hold up over time.

Before I ordered, however, I decided I would run out to the malls and "just see" if I could find anything I liked better and beat the price of Lands End.

I got a great tankini with underwire cups(separates so I could mix/match top with bottoms)one at JCPenney's and another at Macy's.

One suit was on sale, so I got that at half the cost of what a Lands End suit would have cost. The other I used store coupons and the price was the same as the other Lands End suit. So I was able to save quite a bit and still got attractive well made suits.

I personally do not like the quality of Newport News or the fit, but that is me.

Archived