Whale Watching

jesusfreak7

We are thinking about taking a whale watching excursion in Juneau (Princess Southbound cruise in July). Is this excursion worth the extra $$$ or will we see just as much from the ship?:confused:

Ok, I'm going to be way in the minority but I will tell you that we felt that our tour was a complete waste of money. Now I will say that the whales are fickle and there are reports of good days with lots of whale sightings and there are bad days, like ours, where we saw one back and one tail and that was it for 2 hours. I saw 2 whales while working out in the gym on our ship and frankly that would have been enough for me. Humpbacks are not social animals and shy away from the boats. I will tell you of the 11 of us in our party not one of us would do it again. Just wanted to give you my perspective.

There's NO comparison. We've done a wildlife/whale watch cruise every time we've gone to Alaska, and every time, if the operators had said at the end of the cruise, "Was it worth twice what you paid?" we'd have said YES, absolutely. You get into areas the cruise ship doesn't go. And the operators know where to see wildlife on shore, and where the resident whales are.

We saw a humpback mom and baby very close to the whale watch boat, orcas close enough to see their patterns, otters, seals, eagle nests, deer and bears.

You are MUCH closer to the water in a whale watch boat than on the cruise ship -- an entirely different perspective.

Having been several times, I'd CHEERFULLY pay 100% more to do it.

IMO - absolutely worth the money. There is NO comparison to what you can see from the cruise ship and what you see on a small ship in Auke Bay. Understand, however, that there are never any guarantees about what you will see - these are wild critters after all. But our party of 4 were talking about our whalewatching trip with Capt. Larry and Orca Enterprises long after our trip was over.

I have a link to my photos down below in my signature if you're interested!

thanks so much for everyone's opinion... we're thinking about the Harv & Marv tour (or Marv & Harv - not sure which)... anyone ever done that one?

Again - tons of info - just use the search function and type in Marv & Harv - you will get tons of info.

thanks so much for everyone's opinion... we're thinking about the Harv & Marv tour (or Marv & Harv - not sure which)... anyone ever done that one?

We're on the same cruise as you guys (I saw you on the Roll Call). We're booked with Harv and Marv for 9:00. They get great reviews and Eileen is very sweet to deal with. If you're interested I'd get to them quickly. We're there during the height of the season. I'm sure there filling up quickly.

Again - tons of info - just use the search function and type in Marv & Harv - you will get tons of info.

Actually type in Harv and Marv :)

As with most excursions, I think you need to decide what kinds of things you like to do. What one person enjoys, another will find boring. We originally booked a whale watch, but switched to the Tracy Arm day cruise. I was never totally keen on the whale watch idea. We had been on one in Nova Scotia and it was by no means a highlight. However, since so many on this forum spoke so favorably, I decided to go with it. Then I read more about the Tracy Arm cruise. My husband and I are more into scenery than wildlife. We like wildlife, just enjoy scenery more. So, after some consideration, I realized we would probably enjoy the Tracy Arm Glacier Cruise more. So, this June we are trying the Tracy Arm cruise.

I often think of my first trip to the Grand Canyon. It was back in the day when you could take your self guided tour with your car. We had a little guide book and we drove from view point to view point. I was totally in awe with each stop. My friend asked, "Do we have to stop at every view point? It looks all the same to me." So, again, only you can decide if an excursion is a likely good choice for you. Read what people like about them, and decide if it appeals to you. Then go in with a positive attitude and enjoy whatever comes.

if you are extremely lucky, you will see a lot of whales from the cruiseship. But you do invest a lot of time out there on the deck and a good pair of full size waterproof binoculars. There are advantages going with whale watching tour. Although it is not guaranteed, you will have better chance to spot whales with them. In addition, it offers different viewing experience by staring the whales at sea level vs looking down 50 ft from the cruiseship.

We went on a whale watch in Juneau last summer - mostly to see what all the fuss was about. We went with Alaskan Marine Adventures and had an enjoyable time, but the whales didn't seem anxious to greet us! We saw the same number of whales (2 or 3) on our PWS ferry crossing from Valdez to Whittier, as well as on our Kenai Fjords cruise. I never spotted the whales from our cruise ship - even when the naturalist or captain pointed them out, so I'm glad to have had 3 opportunities to see them on smaller boats.

We went with Harv & Marv last May. It's one of the two best cruise excursions that I've ever done. We saw at least 8 whales before we stopped counting -- including one that breeched right by our boat before anyone had their cameras ready!

We also saw a fair number of whales from the cruise ship, but there is no comparison between the views that you get from up 8 or 10 decks on the ship and the view that you get when you're right down at the water level.

Kruisekats experience was not normal. Whether it is worth it or not is something only you can answer. In our 10 or so trips we have always seen whales close up and last year in Juneau and ISP were our best trips ever with bubble feeding, breeches etc. If you go with Harv and Marv I'm sure you will enjoy it. Check out these photos if you want to see what you can see:

http://community.webshots.com/user/jq4653

For more information, do use the search feature. There was another very detailed post a couple weeks ago.

But- whale watch tours are a must- for closer extended viewing. Out of Juneau and Hoonah- you have close to 100% chance of seeing humpbacks- so excellent odds. :)

Many people have very unrealistic expectations of what they are going to see. Expect NOTHING MORE than blows, backs and tails. They spend most of their time in the water. It is a gift to see anything else.

I have been on over 100 whale watch tours since 1986, (usually 5-10/year)you have to have many many trips, to increase your chances of the various sightings. It's not going to happen in one. I yearly go out on multi day research trips- this is the way to go- IF it is such a priority for you.

I also have been greatly rewarded with sightings from cruiseships. Necessary is a good pair of WIDE ANGLE binoculars, proper attire, and time. :) You also need to be thrilled with a couple minutes of viewing compared to hours out looking!!

We went with Harv & Marv last May. It's one of the two best cruise excursions that I've ever done. We saw at least 8 whales before we stopped counting -- including one that breeched right by our boat before anyone had their cameras ready!

We also saw a fair number of whales from the cruise ship, but there is no comparison between the views that you get from up 8 or 10 decks on the ship and the view that you get when you're right down at the water level.

Hi, I notice you were on the Pearl last May...We will be on her this may & too going on a Harv & marv Whale tour. When in May did you go? We are going on May10th...Just wondering if going early in month, we will still see lots of whales? How was the weather also? Thanks:)

Hi, I notice you were on the Pearl last May...We will be on her this may & too going on a Harv & marv Whale tour. When in May did you go? We are going on May10th...Just wondering if going early in month, we will still see lots of whales? How was the weather also? Thanks:)

I was on the first sailing of the Pearl, mid May. You have excellent potential for humpbacks migrating your first sea day. It's necessary to be out on deck. Be forewarned, the Pearl has the crappiest front deck space of several ships I've been on. Terrible full tall front plexiglass, and obstructed side viewing due to navigational equiptment. In Glacier Bay, the superior viewing area is the open promanade deck, switching sides during the sailing. Port on the way in. But get up real early, and be on the upper crappy deck, since no one else will be there and enjoy it until it fills up.

Expect rough sailing at least one of your sea days.

We went w/ Harv and Marv (actually Pete) this past September, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I never saw any whales from the ship (and it wasn't for a lack of trying), but we saw several on the tour. I think it's well worth the money, and even our 6yo DS would do it again.

We sailed the week 3rd week in May -- so just a week after you. We lucked out with the weather. It rained coming and going in Seattle, rained quite hard in Ketchikan but not until our excursion was over, and we had great weather the rest of the time.

As Budget Queen mentioned, you should be fine for whales. You will probably get the opportunity to see more of them from the cruise ship than you would later in the summer as some of the late-comers are still migrating, but there should be plenty already at their "summer home" to make the whale watching with Harv & Marv worth while. We saw quite a few whales from the Pearl -- mainly from the promenade deck (deck 7). While you're sailing you won't normally have extended viewing times of the individual whales, but there were enough of them to keep us interested in seeing who could spot the next one.

Have a great time. We loved the Pearl and were hoping to do a return trip this May, but work issues won't allow it this year.

Archived