Entertainment on Cunard

exlondoner

Jane,

I think it depends on who the comedian is. Twice on QE2 we have had British comics on board who in our opinion did not go down too well. One in particular seemed to be hell bent on insulting our american cousins to the point that made us feel most uncomfortable.

It would certainly not be a number one priority for us again.

Jackie:)

Despite having had a number of voyages, I have always missed the show on the nights when there has been a comedian. Do they tell good jokes? Can anyone remember any? Are they worth staying up for or rather limp and feeble?

Jane

As I recall Jane, they were rather flaccid. Definitely not worth the wait.

Sir Martin

And the guy they had on in January was fantastic!

Despite having had a number of voyages, I have always missed the show on the nights when there has been a comedian. Do they tell good jokes? Can anyone remember any? Are they worth staying up for or rather limp and feeble?

Jane

Haven't heard any cracker-jack comedians, but did recently see a

ventriloquist who was a very cunning linguist, or his "friend" was, I should say. His aural tricks were quite expert. I particularly liked the bit when they fought and tried to get away from each other:

Man: "Get away from me, you dummy!"

Doll: "I would, if you took your hand out of my backside!"

Haven't heard any cracker-jack comedians, but did recently see a

ventriloquist who was a very cunning linguist, or his "friend" was, I should say. His aural tricks were quite expert. I particularly liked the bit when they fought and tried to get away from each other:

I hardly think the entertainment is anything to write home about, any comedian i happen to have seen has been very old hat, and the jokes even older (as if l can speak)

SeamatesNYC l did used to do magic a long time ago, never ventured into the field of being a ventriloquist, but the thought of aural tricks is something to be considered,as for cracker-jack comedians, l really dont think we should go down that slippery road....

Cheers

Myles

l used to do magic a long time ago, never ventured into the field of being a ventriloquist, but the thought of aural tricks is something to be considered,as for cracker-jack comedians, l really dont think we should go down that slippery road....

Cheers

Myles

Oh, I am sure you have a few tricks up your sleeve still, I imagine! Speaking of cracker jack, on a recent voyage, we saw a Cirque Du Soleil style act in which one member was suspended mid-air from the rigging at the top of the theatre. The rest of the cast stood in a circle pulling and twirling these ropes, thus allowing the suspended dancer to engage in all sorts of gyrations and airborne tricks, that left the audience gasping for breathe. Quite a spectacular, satisfying performance in the end.

The rest of the cast stood in a circle pulling and twirling these ropes,

At the risk of going off topic, and forgive me.. but that sounds a bit like Morris dancing, something the English take a delight in doing?

I never could understand all the excitement over a pole.

The closest l get to that is the dance classes onboard QE2, and even that leaves me hot and bothered afterwards..anyway back to the Entertainment on Cunard..... Its reminds me sometimes of a fairy tale...

GRIMM:eek:

At the risk of going off topic, and forgive me.. but that sounds a bit like Morris dancing, something the English take a delight in doing?

I never could understand all the excitement over a pole.

The closest l get to that is the dance classes onboard QE2, and even that leaves me hot and bothered afterwards..anyway back to the Entertainment on Cunard..... Its reminds me sometimes of a fairy tale...

GRIMM:eek:

Forgive me if I meander off topic, but I am not partial to those establishments where dancing is around a pole. But that reminds me of a performance aboard a Cunarder (that's a ship, ya know?) where I saw a rabbit pull a lady out of a hat, er, uhmm, well, yes, time for bed - I'll get me coat!

in my last life (pre-kids) i was a professional opera singer. It is well known in the music world that cruise ship entertainers were either on their way up (24 year olds trying to pay bills) on their way down (64 year olds trying to make it to retirement) or, if you are a lucky passenger, an active professional who is getting a free vacation for his family and a bit of spending money.

I just had this discussion with a Broadway actress friend of mine and how these ship jobs are nice respites, but hardly a career move.

So, all in all, I would hope the shows and performers to be pleasant. you might luck out and stumble upon someone really good, but for the most part it will be rank and file musicians.

Worth missing time at the commodore club? hmmm. If you are embarking from NYC come a day early and catch a show there. Then spend your time on board doing something unique to the QM2.

(trying not to be) Jaded musician!

Paul

If you are embarking from NYC come a day early and catch a show there. Then spend your time on board doing something unique to the QM2.

(trying not to be) Jaded musician!

Paul

Could not agree with you more. If you desire professional, quality, song, dance, comedy, etc., do not seek it onboard. They are good, sometimes great, but nothing can compare to the Great White Way or the West End or the opera/symphony/dance performance capitals of the world. Nice diversions en voyage for an hour, perhaps, but I guess it all depends on where you are coming from, literally and figuratively. That said, I recently have seen some top notch artists on voyages from NYC (on another line which shall remain nameless here...)

I have been to the show on QV WC and several acts did the same jokes or tricks. 2 of the comedians were on the same leg of the world cruise. This is poor planning by whoever books the acts.

I have been on Cunard where the comedians, both British & American, used fresh material that was clean & extemely funny, unfortunately not on this cruise, yet! :(

Well, this trick was so expert and accomplished. I tried to get a snap but only ended up with a pic of my shoes. Next time, I will be prepared for such quick dexterity, I hope.

I have loads of pictures of my shoes. (Taken after a few pints, of course ... ) I'll send some to you. :D

I have been on Cunard where the comedians, both British & American, used fresh material that was clean & extemely funny, unfortunately not on this cruise, yet! :(

That's what's usually good about that sort of entertainment. Material that's clean, and is funny for everyone.

(But nothin wrong with a few bawdy jokes, or tunes ... that's what the GL is for :D ;) )

I have loads of pictures of my shoes. (Taken after a few pints, of course ... ) I'll send some to you. :D

(At the risk of irrelevance)

Please do, and while you're at it, send money (ba DUM dum)! No, seriously folks, these digital cameras, they really do take the daring out of photography. I liked it better when you had to trust that some pimply-faced teen would not report you to the police or worse when you dropped your canister off for development.;) These days, it's just connect, upload and off to the races!:D No suspense or mystery.

Happy photographing!

Archived