Waiting to board Volendam

RustaRoo

Here I am in Ft. Lauderdale - with half of my luggage! Apparently the other half is in Chicago (where I transferred flights). They think they'll get it to the ship prior to sailing though. But lesson learned....I normally do not put ship tags on my luggage until I get to Fort Lauderdale and am transferring to the ship, hence this bag does not have the HAL tag on it. I hope that doesn't lead to any kind of an added delay:( On the good side, it's a beautiful sunny day and I'm away from old man winter! But I have no casual wear, beach wear, sandals, shoes, or toiletries. Lots of 'dress up' clothes though :p :p I got a few basic toiletries from the hotel at midnight last night when I got here but I'd like to purchase a few things this morning. I have no idea if anything is open in this burg on a Sunday. Wish me luck!

Richard, I sure hope that your luggage arrives before you sail. I will be keeping fingers crossed for you. Enjoy your cruise, and may you enjoy sunny skies and calm seas. Thanks also for posting.

According to the on-line tracking system for United, my bag is 'supposed' to be delivered to the pier between 6-10 am this morning. Doubting that, I phoned the 1-800 number and got the same info. Soooooo - perhaps all will be well. Here's hopin'!

But I did go buy some deodorant so at least my fellow passengers will think I smell good. Luckily I had a pair of shorts in the one bag I did receive, so I'm dressed for the weather at least.

I just checked in with the HAL rep in the hotel lobby and the bus is coming at 12:30. Many guests for the Westerdam and the Volendam are at this hotel - the Renaissance Plantation. This is a beautiful hotel, quite near the pier, big beautiful rooms and superb service. I stayed here once previously and can highly recommend it. The only problem was noise through the adjoining door when my neighbours decided to get up VERY early and laugh uproariously and talk very loudly. Sheesh, for someone not getting any sleep because of his lost luggage, it didn't help to be awakened like that. Oh well, 4 hours sleep is better than none:D

If I get a chance to give an update later, I will. Thanks for the well wishes!

Richard,

Hello my friend!!!!! Good luck getting your luggage to the ship. My fingers are crossed for you. I am always so afraid the same thing will happen to me when I fly. My thoughts are with you. Please keep us posted on the outcome. Bon Voyage!!!!! Looking forward to sailing w3ith you on the "Good Nuts Cruise" next January. Adele:p

Thanks, Adele! My hope is fading fast. I went on-line to United bag tracking and they have Pier 26 (Westerdam) instead of Pier 19 (Volendam). Yikes. this necessitated yet another call to their 1-800 number. So they called delivery guys. They said they've made NO deliveries from United this morning to the pier. So they called Ft. Lauderdale airport baggage area and didn't get an answer - big surprise. If you could hear my heart beating right now you'd swear I was going to have a heart attack. Anyway, customer service at United say they're putting in an 'urgent' request to track this particular bag given that it's less than 7 hours until sail away. I have to check out of my room in a few minutes (losing access to computer), sooooo......... nothing to report until I get into my room and have a Wang Wang in my hand!

Rusta, I just got home today fromt he Voley. Enjoy!! They have a great staff and the cruise is just terrific. Please tell my Katie (Little Dynamo) hello for me. Tell her to be sure to get on the Oosterdam April 19th. Have a wonderful cruise.

Richard,

I've still got fingers crossed for you. Get onboard and get that drink in hand. There is still time for them to deliver luggage. If you have a chance, please check in later and let us know how you are doing. I sure wish that we were going with you.

Oh, Richard! I am soooooooooo sorry. I hope the luggage shows up before the ship leaves! Your story makes me that much more determined to carry-on as much as I can when we cruise next fall (Auckland-Sydney). Best of luck!

Robin

Oh NO, Richard! How could United do this to you??? Didn't they even give you a 'convenience' kit when you filed the missing luggage report? When we had to overnight in Atlanta recently, Delta gave us each one. I'd packed my carry-on for such an event (thankfully), so we had clean clothes, but no deodorant. I'm sure our fellow passengers the next a.m. appreciated we had used the ones found in the convenience kit. :rolleyes:

I sure hope the bags appear before sail-away - or shortly thereafter. Have a GREAT time anyway and please keep us informed.

15 minutes to boat drill BOTH of my bags arrived in my cabin. I shrieked with joy:D and am soooooooo happy. Actually I was on the hotel/pier transfer bus when my cell phone rang and United told me they didn't bother delivering to anyone else but Holland America and HAL would guarantee it got to me! They came through big time as it is sail away in a matter of moments! Can anyone say happy dance of joy! And my, but this cocktail is absolutely the best. I've been waiting all day to celebrate this. So folks, here I am on board the lovely Volendam, I've got that special 'secret' cabin at the stern! and LOVE it. I may continue my saga now that I started it but am a neophyte from posting from the ship and hope that this post works. Thanks EVERYONE for your messages of concern and hopefulness - it didn't ease my angst any but at least I knew you'd be empathetic - thanks big time!

Cheers as we sail away!!!!!

Safe aboard, luggage and wang wang in hand. All is right with the world! Enjoy MY favorite cabin. Had I known you'd be there I would have left a message in the Good Book for you last April. Have a wonderful cruise.

Jane

I'm so happy to hear that your bag made it! Have an awesome cruise! I've been on this voyage and just loved it. :D

I always divide my casual clothes and formal between the 2 suitcases so I have some in each. This is a good reminder to keep that practice. I hope I won't have to deal with this issue.:)

Whassamatta, Richard. Weren't prepared to go "all tux---all the time!" Can't say as I blame ya.

Glad you got all your "stuff" and can now relax and enjoy.

Have a great time. :D

Archived