Changing from Anytime to Traditional dining

heartofamerica

I'm cruising on the Crown on 3/15, and I didn't notice until just the other day that we are down for anytime dining. My daughter actually prefers the traditional dining, and my TA said at this late date, I can't get it changed - just check with maitre d' when we embark...doe traditional dining usually fill up, or do you think we'll be able to get switched?

Talk to the Maitr'D when you board, and you will be waitlisted for the traditional dining. Personally, I like the traditional b/c you don't have to wait around in the lobby with a ton of other people. I don't even like being on time for traditional b/c of the crowd that assembles there.

You can make a standing reservation in one of the anytime dining rooms. We always found the one aft to be less crowded. Harder to get to but worth the effort. We never had a wait. We enjoyed eating with a different group each night. We ate with Europeans and South Americans if we ate late. Eating early our dinner companions were mostly Americans. We were lucky. We enjoyed them all.

to one of the above-posters -- we've been on 7 Princess cruises

and have never seen an "aft" anytime dining room.:confused:

The aft dining room has always been the traditional.

All the anytime dining rooms have always been located in

the lobby areas

I'm cruising on the Crown on 3/15, and I didn't notice until just the other day that we are down for anytime dining. My daughter actually prefers the traditional dining, and my TA said at this late date, I can't get it changed - just check with maitre d' when we embark...doe traditional dining usually fill up, or do you think we'll be able to get switched?

Traditional books up very quickly. We booked our cruise 10 months

out and have received traditional for our next cruise; however,

we're thinking of relinquishing it for anytime.

There is only one traditional DR and two anytime DR's so the odds of

getting it depend on how far down the waitlist you are.

the lobby areas

We were on CB in 2006 and the aft dining room on deck 6 was one of the anytime venues that week.

the lobby areas

Then you haven't been on the Caribbean Princess because one of the anytime dining rooms is in the aft and you can only get to it by using the aft elevator or stairs and no other way.

Then you haven't been on the Caribbean Princess because one of the anytime dining rooms is in the aft and you can only get to it by using the aft elevator or stairs and no other way.

You are correct - but - good luck. Some folks think that since the anytime dining rooms are aft of the atrium - mthey are aft?>???

Ron

Traditional dining almost always fills up with a waitlist within weeks of bookings being opened -- sometimes over a year in advance. Your chances are slim that you will get traditional dining if you go to the Maitre D but you can always ask. I sure would.

It's true that you can make a reservation in Anytime for the same time and with the same waitstaff but only before 6PM and from 8PM on. But, be aware that even with a reservation, there could be waits. We had a standing reservation for the same table every night on the CB at 8PM and waits every single night: sometimes as little as 5 minutes but over 45 minutes a couple of times.

By all means check with the Matre D as soon as you get on board. You probably won't be seated in the Traditional Dining Room right away, but the first night they make hundreds of changes to the seating schedule to accommodate all the request for changes that they get. The earlier you get on their wait list on board, the better your chances of getting the seating you want.

This is very interesting. Does that mean one of the anytime dining rooms

on the Emerald is also aft? Does this mean that the traditional DR

is midship? Could anyone advise?

Thank you.

This is very interesting. Does that mean one of the anytime dining rooms

on the Emerald is also aft? Does this mean that the traditional DR

is midship? Could anyone advise?

Thank you.

From the Princess web site the aft dining room is the traditional Botticelli dining room

Sorry, the traditional dining room is aft on the Emerald and if you are alocated a table near the back the vibration is noticeable. We managed to move closer to the entrance and that was much better. Almost worth anytime to avoid! G.

We had a lovely table to the right of the entrance in the Traditional Dining Room but had to move to the Anytime Dining because of the noise & vibration from the motors and the nightclub. :(

We did enjoy the same table & staff at Anytime by reserving every night.

Dick & El

Based on our experience on the Star, I would suggest that you have your travel agent wait list you for the time you want in the "traditional" dining. We did that and when we first boarded I received a call from the Maitre D asking what time we wanted to dine. We were assigned a table in the anytime dining room and had the same table and wait staff each evening.

If you are wait listed and don't get that call speak to the MD before dinner the first night. Good Luck!

One thing to keep in mind is that noise and vibration can change, depending on the seas, whether the ship is leaving the dock, or the stabilizers are out (or not). So, you might have noise and vibration one night but not the next. I've been on quite a few cruises, including riverboat, where there was quite a bit of vibration and it never bothered me although it has bothered others. I care more about having a good waitstaff than whether I'm getting an unplanned massage.

On the Emerald, the Botticelli dining room, aft on deck 5, is the traditional dining room. Because of the placement of the kitchens, it is a trek to get there. We were there on the Transatlantic in Dec. 2007 and did not notice vibrations.

Emerald has gotten their act together with Anytime dining. In the Caribbean in Jan. 2008, we had no waiting problems, just walked in and got a shared table. On past cruises, the staff wanted to seat everyone at tables for two, but now they ask if you'll share when you come in.

We prefer a shared table, as you meet lots more people and never find yourself with someone you would rather not meet every day!

Enjoy your cruise.

Bill

Archived