Alaska seas in June

valbob55

We are planning to take a criuse from Seattle to Alaska in June. Can anyone tell me how the seas will be. My DW has a tendency to get sea sick. Would going out of Vancouver be better. Thanks:confused:

We are planning to take a criuse from Seattle to Alaska in June. Can anyone tell me how the seas will be. My DW has a tendency to get sea sick. Would going out of Vancouver be better. Thanks:confused:

There is no way to tell, it is the ocean and I have seen bad weather in late July with rough seas. I would think for the most part in June from Seattle it would be OK. But who knows. :)

I don't think going out of Vancouver would be better, as they go further north.

You are pretty much always (no matter the time of year) going to have some rough going the night of sailing and the first full sea day, until you get through Queen Charlotte Sound and into the Inside Passage, with the reverse being true on the trip back. How rough remains to be seen.

i used to work in alaska on the fishing boats,and i would say most of your weather should be good in june,but might run into a shower or 2,but nothing bad,so relax you will have a great cruise i assure you:);)

You might be slightly better going out Vancouver but I don’t think you will get an Inside Passage cruise on a Princess Ship out of Vancouver. While there are always variables, by June you should be ok with your worst seas being as you cross Queen Charlotte Sound and Dixon Entrance, however both of these crossings are only a few hours. Plus with the size of today’s ships and advent of stabilizers there is not a lot of motion. You would likely be better off choosing a cabin that is lower and more midships on the ship as there is less motion there.

You might be slightly better going out Vancouver but I don’t think you will get an Inside Passage cruise on a Princess Ship out of Vancouver. While there are always variables, by June you should be ok with your worst seas being as you cross Queen Charlotte Sound and Dixon Entrance, however both of these crossings are only a few hours. Plus with the size of today’s ships and advent of stabilizers there is not a lot of motion. You would likely be better off choosing a cabin that is lower and more midships on the ship as there is less motion there.

Last year, we did an Inside Passage cruise out of Vancouver on Princess. It ended in Whittier. It was wonderful and I highly recommend it.

My DH and I went out of Vancouver on an RCI ship a few years ago in mid June. The seas were high the first a.m. going into open water before heading into the Inside Passage later in the day. I am very, very prone to seasickness, but had no ill effects since I took a bonine (non-generic) the night before and the morning of. I think it was the combination of the pills 12 hours apart which really helped and I never got sick the whole vacation. It was a really terrific trip, especially Hubbard Glacier. We are probably returning with our 5 year old next summer, we loved it so much.

We have cruised out of Seattle to Alaska twice in May and the seas were not rough. Rough seas are more dependant on the weather than the month.

I have cruised Alaska 5x in May and June. If you are prone to sea sickness, bring medicine.

Most of the time it has been calm but on one cruise, it was the roughest cruise I have ever been on (and this was on the last day going to Vancouver). The week had been beautiful so I had no idea why it was so rough. Moral of the story - be prepared!

I don’t think you will get an Inside Passage cruise on a Princess Ship out of Vancouver.

You will only get an inside passage trip out of Vancouver on Princess, or any other line (HAL, RCL). This is a wonderful trip....like a rowboat on a farm pond. If you are doing a one-way (north or south), your one day of difficulty may be when you cross the Gulf of Alaska. It got me pretty good last August. :( But I know what to do...either take the Bonine or go to bed. There isn't anything to see in the Gulf until you approach Prince William Sound.

Once you enter Prince William Sound, you are once again in protected waters, and thing settle down again.

Otoh, cruises out of Seattle bypass a large part of the inside passage and spend lots more time on the open ocean.

You will only get an inside passage trip out of Vancouver on Princess, or any other line (HAL, RCL).

Princess does not offer an Inside Passage cruise out of Vancouver. An Inside Passage Cruise goes up the on the inside of Vancouver Island and the Queen Charlotte Islands and is only exposed to open water as the ship crosses Queen Charlotte Sound and Dixon Entrance. The ship either turns around at Skagway or at Glacier Bay, a few hours north of Skagway and then returns to Vancouver via the same routing so the ship is hardly ever exposed to open water. What Princess offers out of Vancouver uses this routing but carries on to Whittier and there is a large exposure to open water in the Gulf of Alaska.

Out of Seattle Princess sails up the west side of Vancouver Island then ducks in behind the Queen Charlottes and returns via the same routing after it reaches Skagway. You exposure is pretty great to the open Pacific as you cruise up the west side of Vancouver Island.

In summary Princess does not offer a true Inside Passage Cruise out of Vancouver or Seattle, however a number of the other lines do and on a true Inside Passage Cruise your exposure to open water is quite minimal and therefore relatively calm. I have cruised the Inside Passage more than 20 times on vessels as small as 45 ft and as large as 90,000 tons.

Archived