taking your passport off the ship

JoeTN

So, i got to thinking about something today, and I have to ask. One of the biggest reasons cited for having a passport is that if "something goes wrong" on an island, etc...

But I got to wondering...how many of you leave your passport in the safe of your ship? For those of you who take them on the port of calls, what do you do with them to keep them safe ? ;)

WE never take ours off the ship, but after reading these posts, I did make a copy of them to take this year. Actual passports will remain on the ship inside the safe. I will put the copies with our Seapass cards/money/cc in my little case i carry with me off the ship.

On our cruise last week on FOS we were required to have them to get back on the ship!! We didn't have a choice!!

Really? Wow, wonder why they did that. Normally, you just have to have your SeaPass and license. Did they make you show your passport to get off at each port also?

Not to get off, just to get back on.

One fellow cruiser who had his license & seapass was held for about 1/2 hour at our 1st port, San Juan (by the pier security, not by Royal Carribean). We passed right by him with our passports and we were taking night pics of the ship when they later let him through. Our 1st cruise so not sure if that was normal, maybe the issue was just him, but I didn't want to find out! :rolleyes:

We always leave our pp's in our safe, DH made a copy of our pp's, reduced them & then laminated them. The size is a little bigger than a credit card. We carry them in our wallet with us wherever we go.

Just off of Explorer on 2/24. The only place we didn't need to take a photo ID with us was Labadee since we were on RCCI leased land. But for the other ports (Dominican Republic, St. Thomas, and San Juan), they told us to take a photo ID with us. They suggested that we should use our passports if we had them. We did and it was no problem getting back on the ship once we showed both our seapass and passport.

Patty

That's odd, being that passports aren't even required as of yet.

I agree, what if you don't have a passport. Last cruise I was on was two years ago but what's the need of a passport when your seapass card has your picture on it? We are going in a couple of weeks and I would like to see if this is the norm.

Last year when we were on Explorer of the Seas, they required that we take our passports with us when we left the ship at every port, no exceptions no choice. Of course, they failed to tell us that, until we were all awaiting the tender at Belize, our first stop. It was craziness when everyone had to return to their room to get their passport, not a lot of happy campers. Although, they did mention it was in the Compass...well missed that little tidbit of information. In the future we will always have our passports with us when we leave the ship.

I have not brought it off the ship for my Caribbean or Alaska cruises, but plan to do so during my upcoming Europe cruise as the shore excursions are often far from port so greater chance of missing the ship; also the shore excursions are of the sightseeing variety rather than water sports/zip lining etc., so easier to bring along.

On both cruises we were on, our entire familiy had to surrender our passports on embarkation, and did not get them returned to us until the last day. That was mandatory. I thought that was really weird, but thats the way it was.

Obviously, at that time we didn't need them to get on and off the ship at ports.

Last year when we were on Explorer of the Seas, they required that we take our passports with us when we left the ship at every port, no exceptions no choice. Of course, they failed to tell us that, until we were all awaiting the tender at Belize, our first stop. It was craziness when everyone had to return to their room to get their passport, not a lot of happy campers. Although, they did mention it was in the Compass...well missed that little tidbit of information. In the future we will always have our passports with us when we leave the ship.

That's a little odd--I was in Belize last week and wasn't required to have my passport at all. Cozumel wanted to see a photo ID plus Seapass, so I showed my driver's license and was fine. No ID check at all in Belize, except for the Seapass before getting back onto the tender.

At the pier in Ft Lauderdale, I made a point to ask the person doing our paperwork if we should leave the passports in the safe or take them with us...and she said to definately leave them in the safe.

My passport stays in the safe from the time I get on board until my cruise ends. I would NEVER take my passport into port, too many bad things could happen, like I drop it in the water and a dolphin eats it. That's the kind of thing that happens to me, so no way, it stays in the safe, where it will be, uh...safe.

That's odd, being that passports aren't even required as of yet.

That's exactly what I was thinking..we may not even bring ours..just our birth cert. and drivers license..so how can they MAKE you show it???

HMMM...sounds a bit off to me..

That's exactly what I was thinking..we may not even bring ours..just our birth cert. and drivers license..so how can they MAKE you show it???

HMMM...sounds a bit off to me..

Why would you NOT bring your passport with you if you have one? What if something should happen and it turns out that you need it? I know it's not required to cruise but it is still the best and most accepted form of identification.

So many have said they leave their passport in the safe & take a copy of the passport off the ship. Do authorities accept the copy to reboard or does it have to be the original passport? I hate to take my passport in fear of losing it or someone stealing it. Sure can't take it in the water with you. A friend last year had her camera stolen from her beach bag while she was swimming, so if a passport was in the bag........who knows.

I do remember in Puerto Rico they wanted to see a passport to reboard, not just the seapass card. A woman & her 2 children were held up for over 2 hrs. because she left her passport on the ship. She finally did get to board.

Is a passport absolutely required for Caribbean cruises? Not by the US, at this time, FOR CRUISES. However, port security on the islands is handled by the respective country, which has its own requirements. A passport is always acceptable ID. Birth certificates and driver's license may not be. And the ship ID cards do not have your picture on them.

When would I require a passport? Should you become separated from the ship for some reason, such as an accident during a shore excursion or being arrested for something or just getting lost, it will be very difficult to fly anywhere. To fly back to the US from anywhere, you DO need a passport. There are processes that will assist US citizens stranded without a passport, but it will take time and effort. Keep in mind that on just about every cruise, someone gets left behind in a port.

Should I take it with me or leave it in the safe? If you leave it in the safe, how do you get it if you can't get back on board (i.e. you're in the hospital or jail)? Best to take the passport with you and leave the copy in the safe.

I might lose it or have it stolen. We've travelled in many countries, always taken our passports, and have never even had an attempt at theft. When I go swimming, I put the passport in a Ziploc bag (along with my money/credit card) and put that in a pocket in the swimsuit. Waterproof security pouches are also available to put passports and other items in and wear under your clothes or swimsuit.

My 2 cents worth, and I expect change!:D

Art

Last cruise I was on was two years ago but what's the need of a passport when your seapass card has your picture on it? We are going in a couple of weeks and I would like to see if this is the norm.

When we cruised last year our sea pass card did not have our picture on it.:confused:

We bring our passports with us anyway.

Denise

Archived