Still another carry on question

Coadysmom

I've searched for an answer to this question but can't find one so here goes. We'reconcerned with carry on luggage weight and size. The size is not so much of a problem but the weight restrictions are bothering me.

It's my understanding that carryon (qantas) is 15# and 45" maximum.

Who looks at or handles your carryon in Aukland NZ to determine if it's too heavy? In the U.S. the TSA are the ones who deal with your carry on luggage as they go through the xray machines and such. They could care less how much your carry on weighs.

How would Qantas know (unless it was a gate check) how much your carry on weighs? Are Qantas reps the ones who put your carry on through the xray equipment in New Zealand? We're not trying to get away with carrying 50# of stuff on the plane, but we are a little worried that our carry on may weigh over the 15# limit, carrying an extra change of clothing.

Hi there,

We flew from Auckland to Australia in February this year.

They weighed our carryons at check in. We had to to some re-organising at that stage.

Unluckily, we had our carryons re-weighed at the Passport/security check. They had officers pulling people out of the line. (I had repacked mine and was over weight again:eek: )

There was no re-check at the gate, but by that time I had learnt my lesson!

My advice would be to make sure you are within the 7kg limit!

Regards,

Steve.

Hi coady's Mum,

The reason why there are weight restrictions with carry ons is because the overhead lockers do have weight limits. If everyone disobeyed, they would not handle the load and that is dangerous in the event of turbulance. :eek:

If you get down the aero-bridge to the door of the a/c and the flight attendant thinks it is too heavy, it will be placed in the cargo compartment. Fortunately, if this happens it will be first off the plane as this small compartment is last loaded, and first unloaded. :)

You will need to take out anything that is required for the flight though.

I suggest you go the QF site and read their regs on size and weight restrictions.

Here is the link for their baggage info...

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/beforeYouTravel/baggageCarryOn

Hope it helps!

Mark.

I'm worried about our camera and assorted lenses. The combined weight (in a very lighweight camera bag) is over 20 lbs. And it goes under the seat not in the overhead. I know we could divide it, but then our change of clothes goes in the other carry on.....The camera bag is specifically designed for these lenses and the camera body

I'm worried about our camera and assorted lenses. The combined weight (in a very lighweight camera bag) is over 20 lbs. And it goes under the seat not in the overhead. I know we could divide it, but then our change of clothes goes in the other carry on.....The camera bag is specifically designed for these lenses and the camera body

Peg,

Your camera bag can be your personal bag like a purse. It's that way on ANZ. Just give them a call. Good luck.

Hi Coady's Mum

Whether your camera bag goes in the overhead or under the seat is I think somewhat irrelevant. Simply, airlines these days are increasingly enforcing the carry-on rules they have always had ... perhaps because too many people have ignored the weight restrictions.

I have been lucky never to have my (often overweight) carry-ons weighed at check-in, but I have seen it done to others quite a few times lately ... usually to people who already have overweight checked baggage, or those with bulky bags or who seem to be struggling to carry their carry-on.

Bottom line is that whenever you fly today, there is a possibility that bags will be checked so be prepared for it. Take your 20lb camera bag to the airport by all means (I would) but make sure the other carry-on weighs less than 10lb ... that way if you are challenged, it is a simple matter to switch over some of the contents (and not be forced to consign your camera gear to the hold).

Cheers

Bob

Just back from NZ cruise and we met an American lady, flying Qantas, who had her hand luggage removed from her as it was

1- --overweight 2- oversized. They put it with her other luggage in the hold and guess what ----- THEY LOST IT!! She had her most personal items in it as we all do and she was not happy at all. I did hear that she did get it returned to her later in the cruise.

We are each using a day pack as our carryon and will be within the size and weight requirements. I don't take a purse so assume I can carry a camera and my husband can carry a camera bag with two camera's and lens. Is there also a weight restriction on the other personal bag i.e. our cameras?

What would happen if a woman had a 15 lb day pack as carryon and a large purse weighing 20 lb. It just seems so confusing. I'm not planning to take a chance, but it seems like you could have a legal carry on and and oversized heavy purse.

She had her most personal items in it as we all do and she was not happy at all.
Well, why didn't she take them out before putting the less important things into the hold? It was really her own lookout for taking an overweight and oversized bag without any contingency plans if it all went wrong.

We are each using a day pack as our carryon and will be within the size and weight requirements. I don't take a purse so assume I can carry a camera and my husband can carry a camera bag with two camera's and lens. Is there also a weight restriction on the other personal bag i.e. our cameras?

What would happen if a woman had a 15 lb day pack as carryon and a large purse weighing 20 lb. It just seems so confusing. I'm not planning to take a chance, but it seems like you could have a legal carry on and and oversized heavy purse.

I bought a super large handbag just for that purpose!! I managed to fit my videocam, books, toiletries, sweets and purse (bill fold) inside it, leaving more room in my hand luggage. I always travel with a spare change of clothes in my hand luggage...just in case!!

My Hand luggage was weighed, but not my handbag.

I've searched for an answer to this question but can't find one so here goes. We'reconcerned with carry on luggage weight and size. The size is not so much of a problem but the weight restrictions are bothering me.

It's my understanding that carryon (qantas) is 15# and 45" maximum.

Who looks at or handles your carryon in Aukland NZ to determine if it's too heavy? In the U.S. the TSA are the ones who deal with your carry on luggage as they go through the xray machines and such. They could care less how much your carry on weighs.

How would Qantas know (unless it was a gate check) how much your carry on weighs? Are Qantas reps the ones who put your carry on through the xray equipment in New Zealand? We're not trying to get away with carrying 50# of stuff on the plane, but we are a little worried that our carry on may weigh over the 15# limit, carrying an extra change of clothing.

Well, they certainly do weigh the hand luggage in the U.S. too. My friend and I were travelling from LAX to NYC on Delta, and they had us put our carry-ons on the scale following the checked luggage, and that was in '06.

And I think it's only going to get worse, the airlines are getting stricter and stricter, now some are only allowing 1 checked bag instead of 2, and instead of 70 lbs for International flights, it's down to 50 lbs. Then if you have a connecting flight with a foreign carrier, they onlly allow 44 lbs for their domestic flights. And someone on this board posted that if you fly through Britain at all, the airports only 1 carry-on, not the airlines. Most others still allow 1 carry-on and your purse or camera.

Times have changed.

On our recent flight on Qantas from LAX to Sydney and return from Auckland, we had no problems @ all with our bags....even the carry-ons. My husband and I both had packed rolling Eddie Bauer carry -on's and I had a tote-bag which was acting as my purse, camera tote, goodie tote, tolietries tote and etc. It was never weighed...just scanned for prohibited items as usual.

Just smile and keep moving. You'll be just fine.

Pinkie

It's not confusing at all! Your carryon is supposed to weigh 15 lb (7Kg) or less. Your second, personal bag is supposed to be smaller (and therefore lighter) than your carryon. Over-large second bags can and should be removed from you and put in the hold. If you try to use a 20lb purse as your personal bag, in addition to a day pack, you are just trying to beat the system.

To answer your other question, yes you will probably be OK if you carry a camera and your DH carries a camera bag with a camera and accessories, unless it is obviously over-sized or overweight.

We returned from the Mercury March 2nd - a VERY LONG DAY. 42 hours. As we crossed the Internation Date Line.

We had to resubmit our luggage in LA due to a mix up with the Qantas boarding passes not going through to Toronto. It was due to the Qantas rep in the line-up to get the boarding passes issue 2 identical boarding passes for the same seats.

When we had to go through all that stuff in LA again, they found one of our suitcases too heavy so my husband took things out and stuffed it in his carry-on and that worked.

I have seen some Huge bags as carry-on on planes, some I would swear had another passenger in them. Maybe they were hockey bags but they would have fit an adult male.

In Auckland, New Zealand, I had to removed my lipsticks from my purse and put them in the suitcases as they do not allow lipstick as carry on luggage in NZ. They seem to be even fussier there than the US TSA people.

It sure is getting to be a hassle, this traveling. You have no option really unless you live in California and have months of time to cruise to Oz & NZ back and forth.

On our next cruise we are driving to Florida - from Toronto.

In Auckland, New Zealand, I had to removed my lipsticks from my purse and put them in the suitcases as they do not allow lipstick as carry on luggage in NZ. They seem to be even fussier there than the US TSA people.
Lipstick ought to be treated in the same way as any other "liquid" (more accurately "liquids, gels and aerosols").

It's not confusing at all! Your carryon is supposed to weigh 15 lb (7Kg) or less. Your second, personal bag is supposed to be smaller (and therefore lighter) than your carryon. Over-large second bags can and should be removed from you and put in the hold. If you try to use a 20lb purse as your personal bag, in addition to a day pack, you are just trying to beat the system.

To answer your other question, yes you will probably be OK if you carry a camera and your DH carries a camera bag with a camera and accessories, unless it is obviously over-sized or overweight.

Sound's like an opinion to me, not policy. :) :)

Sorry it is confusing, We leave in 3 weeks for Australia and I am still not sure what is allowed for carryon or checked luggage and with the way my better half pack's this is going to be real interesting.

2 50lb checked PP from BNA to Lax with 45lb carryon plus a personal. Then 2 70lb PP with 1 15lb carryon from LAX to Sydney and a personal but it better be smaller or lighter:eek: :eek:

Help!!!!!!!!

Sound's like an opinion to me, not policy.

Sorry it is confusing, We leave in 3 weeks for Australia and I am still not sure what is allowed for carryon or checked luggage and with the way my better half pack's this is going to be real interesting.

2 50lb checked PP from BNA to Lax with 45lb carryon plus a personal. Then 2 70lb PP with 1 15lb carryon from LAX to Sydney and a personal but it better be smaller or lighter

Help!!!!!!!!

No, it's policy.

Does this help? It's from the Air NZ web site, but the carryon restrictions are the same as QANTAS applies.

Cabin Baggage

null.gifnull.gifnull.gif

You are welcome to bring your belongings on board as carry on baggage, with maximum allowances and restrictions detailed below.

null.gif

In addition to your allowance, you may also carry on board personal items such as an overcoat, handbag, walking stick, camera or slimline laptop. As a safety precaution, all cabin baggage must be able to fit in the overhead lockers or under the seat in front of you.

Anything in excess of the dimensions and weight allowed as listed below will need to be repacked as part of your checked baggage allowance.

>

• Customers may take one piece of cabin baggage with a maximum weight of 7kg (15lbs) and maximum total dimensions (length + width + height) of 115cm (45") on jet services¹ or 105cm (41") on Air New Zealand Link services².

> International flights

• Pacific Economy Class customers may take one piece of cabin baggage with a maximum weight of 7kg (15lbs) and maximum total dimensions (length + width + height) of 115cm (45").
  • Business and Pacific Premium Economy Class and Star Alliance Gold customers (including Airpoints Gold and Gold Elite) are permitted two pieces with the same conditions as above.

Laptops

Laptops in a thin satchel are considered a personal item, however laptops in larger computer bags are counted as one piece of cabin baggage.

laptop_baggage_103x103.jpg

This thin laptop satchel is considered a personal item and is permitted in addition to your usual cabin baggage allowance

laptop_baggage1_103x103.jpg

This large laptop satchel is counted as 1 piece of cabin baggage allowance

This is opinion - I think it would make travelling around much easier for you if you could consider packing lighter. Do you have any internal flights in Australia? If so, your checked baggage allowance may also have to comply with the one bag, 20Kg (44 pounds) policy.

The following information is only if you are planning to travel internally within Australia.

Qantas will let you take your baggage, under international baggage allowance, free if you are transferring direct from an overseas to an internal flight (with relevant ticketing).

However, if you break your journey, then travel internally, with Qantas, you will only be entitled to the domestic baggage allowance, which is one suitcase (70 lbs) and one cabin baggage (15 lbs), plus small purse, etc. (economy).

The cost for an extra suitcase is a flat $20.

There are also dimension limits which you can check from the relevant airline's website.

Note, as airlines enforce hand luggage limits, it is not worth the hastle of having to repack at the airport.

Australians, who travel to Europe for up to a year, have always only been entitled to the abovementioned domestic baggage allowance, unless we travelled via the USA/Canada, so we've learnt to travel lightly. Of course, we wear all our heaviest clothes, boots, etc. Half the clothes, twice the money is the best advice I ever got!!

We are on Qantas International LAX to Cairns booked through Princess and then have two domestic flights Cairns/Brisbane and Brisbane/Sydney with breaks inbetween that were set up by an independent TA. Therefore we have two separate E-tickets. The domestic E-ticket says 1 bag allowance, but I have been told by both the independent TA and Qantas that the International flight from LAX allows us to have our two bag allowance on the domestic flights. We will just have to produce our International E-ticket in Cairns and Brisbane during check-in showing the original international flight from LAX.

As long as you have that advice from Qantas in writing, you will be fine, as you can show that to the check in clerk, with your international ticket, as they are the ones who enforce the baggage entitlements, at the local level.

We have travelled round the world this last 12 months from Australia- London-Rome- hong Kong- US- New Zealand and I can honestly say I am getting confused as different airports seem to be fussy about one particular thing. New Zealand was the first airport to insist I take out my lipstick from my bag. Liquid?? I didn't think so.

Whatever it is they say we must do, we have no option but to be well informed before hand, and do as they require or reap the consequences.

MMDown Under - Thanks - that is good advice. I will call again and ask if they can email me something. Better safe than sorry. If we can't have two bags we will manage. :mad:

Tyrkitty check out this page from the Qantas website. it clearly states you can have 2 checked bags on Australian domestic flights even though your trans Pacific flt with Qantas is on a different e ticket.

I would print this page and just keep it handy when checking in and produce it if needed.

Maurice

Archived