Still okay to order more than one?

KroozNut

Is it still acceptable to order more than one appetizer, entree, etc., in the dining room any more? I realize and understand that it's not allowed in the supper club, but what about the dining room?

This used to be something we enjoyed doing when we couldn't make up our mind, wanted to try a couple of different things; or it was one of our favorites, and one just wasn't enough :) In fact, on past cruises, the waitstaff would even encourage this..

On our last cruise (Carnival Glory), when I asked for two different entrees one evening, our waiter told us no, that we could only order one. Needless to say this was a bit disappointing to us for the above reasons.

Is this now the norm, and has Carnival cut back on allowing this practice? I am curious to learn what other's recent experiences have been, and I'm hoping that ours was only an isolated experience..

Thanks!

Is it still acceptable to order more than one appetizer, entree, etc., in the dining room any more? I realize and understand that it's not allowed in the supper club, but what about the dining room?

This used to be something we enjoyed doing when we couldn't make up our mind, wanted to try a couple of different things; or it was one of our favorites, and one just wasn't enough :) In fact, on past cruises, the waitstaff would even encourage this..

On our last cruise (Carnival Glory), when I asked for two different entrees one evening, our waiter told us no, that we could only order one. Needless to say this was a bit disappointing to us for the above reasons.

Is this now the norm, and has Carnival cut back on allowing this practice? I am curious to learn what other's recent experiences have been, and I'm hoping that ours was only an isolated experience..

Thanks!

HUH...on my last cruise (also on the Glory) in September, our waiter was more than willing to bring us as much of whatever we wanted! :D

On our last cruise (Carnival Glory), when I asked for two different entrees one evening, our waiter told us no, that we could only order one.

Thanks!

On all of my cruises the waiter always ask if we want to order anything else, sounds to me like you got some lazy waiters. I would of asked to have that waiter replaced on the spot by the Maitre'D. Then a nice letter sent to Guest Relations about this guys problem.

Fred

On all of my cruises the waiter always ask if we want to order anything else, sounds to me like you got some lazy waiters. I would of asked to have that waiter replaced on the spot by the Maitre'D. Then a nice letter sent to Guest Relations about this guys problem.

Fred

Fred,

That's what I was thinking, that the guy was just lazy and didn't want to exert the extra effort.

I'm very relieved to know that it's not the norm though, and that we can expect to be able to do this on our upcoming Spirit cruise in November..

Thanks for clearing this up for me!

Just got off the Spirit and liked everything on the menu so much that I had a hard time deciding what to order. I didn't want to miss out on the Crab Cakes or the Escargot but also really wanted the Mushroom Soup and love having a Salad. Yikes, I thought, but it was no problem. They even deliver them in a manner so you are not embarassed if the others at the table are not interested in the starters.

I bet there wouldn't have been a problem with ordering two entrees as others mentioned we could have a second lobster dinner if we wanted. Glad it wasn't offered (might have been tempted) but nice to know that if you want, you can get a little extra of this or that if you are still hungry?????

We were on the Valor in May of 2007 and we ordered more than one entree if we couldn't make up our mind. We also doubled our order several times...2 lobster tails, double order of fruit or chocolate melting cake, etc.

We have 2 teenage boys and boy can they eat:eek: It was NEVER a problem...

Just got off the Spirit and liked everything on the menu so much that I had a hard time deciding what to order. I didn't want to miss out on the Crab Cakes or the Escargot but also really wanted the Mushroom Soup and love having a Salad. Yikes, I thought, but it was no problem. They even deliver them in a manner so you are not embarassed if the others at the table are not interested in the starters.

This is exactly what I remember it being like, and is great to know.. Apparently we just got a lazy waiter on our last Glory cruise.

Spirit, here we come!! :D

If you do run into the problem that the previous poster had with being denied when ordering something else, what would be the appropriate action to take? Who would you go to and question this?

Ask the Maitre D' to come over if you have any trouble at all with your wait staff. That's what they are there for.

We frequently order an entree as an appetizer (pasta) or to share as a side. I was told once that I could not order two entrees and I asked to see a supervisor immediately and the waiter did a 180. The norm is we order whatever strikes our fancy and it appears. Did have a situation one evening when my beef was not prepared as ordered. I wasn't going to complain but the Dining Captain stopped at the table and noticed that I wasn't eating my meal. I didn't mean to "nuke" the waiter but I simply said that it wasn't prepared as I had ordered it. BANG ! I had a replacement very quickly and the waiter later asked that if I ever had a problem...please let HIM know. Apparently the superior addressed the issue. Of the many meals I have eaten...I have had very few disappointments.

We had no problems on Triumph. The waiter was bringing out meals that people did not order. The people were debating over entrees, the waiter just brought out the other half way through.

The kids ordered meals from the childrens menu as appitizers, and steak for their meal. No problem. Our waitstaff was excellent.

I don't ask for double orders, but have seen people do it with out a problem. On our last family cruise during one of the formal nights. The waiters were giving away the lobsters... Pilling them on EVERYONE's plate even if you didn't order any... It was a funny sight. He came to my plate and I said no thank you.. And he looked at me like he was disappointed that I wouldn't take the lobster... But hay I was completely full...

I would agree if you get told no, go to the head waiter. Besides they probably stock enough food for two weeks anyways...

Thanks!

Ordering more than one is pretty standard. :D

I do not know why anyone would tell you that you can order only one. :confused:

Maybe there was a lobster shortage? :eek:

Sounds like you waiter had a attitude. I would not stand for it. As other say

you should have said something. I would be writting a letter to CCL asap and

let them know about it.

I always order 2 appetizers which one is the shrimp. The waiters by the 3rd day have one or 2 waiting from me when I arrive.

We usually order one main course each and an extra to share (like on lobster night ---each a lobster and then shared the duck) I am an appetizer junkie ---think I could live on them ---so I would order several and skip soup and salad ....our son is 6"5" and packs it away ---he orders alot of everything and on the last night ---our waiter brought him 2 steaks (he had actually only ordered one this time ) when our son asked the waiter ---the waiter smiled and said "I've watched you and I'm just saving myself a trip back to the kitchen !" :) We loved it ---and of course--he DID eat both steaks ....

Thanks!

Not sure when you were on the Glory...our last cruise was on the Miracle in December. On each and every cruise we have been able to order more than one. We don't do it often though. On lobster night our waiter brought an extra for my husband (without being asked), and another night the waiter said he hoped my husband would enjoy his entree, but suggested just in case he pick a second. The waiter said reviews on the first choice were mixed. Nice that they will do that. Can't remember what it was, but the first choice was very good.

Not sure why your Glory waiter wouldn't allow it.

Payd:)

Just got off the Ecstasy 5 weeks ago, and one of our tablemates (an anorexic looking female) ordered 2-3 entrees every night. Waiter had no problem bringing them to her. I usually ordered two entrees, and my waiter would ask if I wanted anything else. This was after I ordered, and when he brought me my second entree. He once went back to get my wife a second entree (late in the meal) when he saw that she didn't like the original that she had ordered.

Eric

Ordering more than one is pretty standard. :D

I do not know why anyone would tell you that you can order only one. :confused:

Maybe there was a lobster shortage? :eek:

It wasn't even lobster night.. it was just a random evening where two different things on the menu looked good to me, so I tried to order both, but no go.. :confused:

I have not had a problem ordering two entrees when I wanted to do so. I got off the Feb 24 sailing on the Liberty about a week ago, and the food was great, as was the service. I ordered the prime rib and the lobster on formal night, and enjoyed both - not a problem.

If you can remember your waiter's name, I would write a letter. If a waiter ever did that to me on a ship, I would probably ask to move to another table citing bad service (I would not contact a supervisor and force him to do it, as I prefer my meals without the special secret sauce). If for some reason I did not want to move tables (i.e., if I really liked the people I was sitting with), I would probably just go to the purser's desk and revoke his tip, and use the money to have a couple meals at the supper club. Telling the guest no to that sort of a request on a cruise ship is not acceptable.

Hope your cruise was otherwise great, and I hope that didn't ruin it for you.

It wasn't even lobster night.. it was just a random evening where two different things on the menu looked good to me, so I tried to order both, but no go.. :confused:

Wow...as above...never heard of that.

Archived