Carnival Elation vs Royal Caribbean Monarch

Buying a short cruise as a present for my folks 50th anniv. 5 Night Carnival Elation or 4 night RCCL Monarch. Averages out to be about the same price per day. Elation- San Diego, Ensenada, Cabo San Lucas, San Diego. Monarch, LA, San Diego, Catalina, Ensenada, LA. They are 70 years old and have never cruised. Plan to book for May 5th or 15th. Giving to them as present on March 22 need to book soon HELP!!!!!!!! Debbie

I realize you are doing this as a surprise, but find a way to prepare your parents for the fact that both ships, because of the short cruise duration, tend to be "Party" ships with a younger crowd. The ships are old, but well maintained, and Monarch has the smallest cabins in RCL fleet - about 170 sq ft, I recall. Both ships have lots of boosters - Elation is here in San Diego every week; she docked just after us yesterday when we returned on Oosterdam. You are to be commended for giving them such a nice present, but find a way to prepare them for what they may find. Hey, there are plenty of 70year olds who party along with the young 'uns!!:)

Buying a short cruise as a present for my folks 50th anniv. 5 Night Carnival Elation or 4 night RCCL Monarch. Averages out to be about the same price per day. Elation- San Diego, Ensenada, Cabo San Lucas, San Diego. Monarch, LA, San Diego, Catalina, Ensenada, LA. They are 70 years old and have never cruised. Plan to book for May 5th or 15th. Giving to them as present on March 22 need to book soon HELP!!!!!!!! Debbie

I'm sure that you'll get a different opinion on the Carnival boards, but I would say that you can't go wrong with Royal Caribbean. There is something for everyone to do, young and old alike. We loved our cruise on RCCL (in our 30's with a 3 year old) and so did my grandmother, who was 85. I haven't sailed with Carnival, but my IMPRESSION is that they are more geared toward the young party crowd. I could be very wrong, but that is at least my impression.

Book a Superior OV on deck 9 if you can afford it, to give them some extra space, without having to go to deck 10 with the JS.;) I was in one last May, and they are small, but adequate. At least they have a safe, whereas those on decks below don't.

Other than that, deck 8 or deck 4 OV would be your best bet.

Book a Superior OV on deck 9 if you can afford it, to give them some extra space, without having to go to deck 10 with the JS.;) I was in one last May, and they are small, but adequate. At least they have a safe, whereas those on decks below don't.

Other than that, deck 8 or deck 4 OV would be your best bet.

I am a RCCL fan all the way. Just wanted to check as I know nothing about this class of ship. On the RCCL site they say the view is obstructed on the superior OV. We are planning on getting an OV (none available on deck 8) they have 2 on deck 7 available and lots on deck 6 and 1 on deck 5 mid ship. Help!!! Debbie

I am a RCCL fan all the way. Just wanted to check as I know nothing about this class of ship. On the RCCL site they say the view is obstructed on the superior OV. We are planning on getting an OV (none available on deck 8) they have 2 on deck 7 available and lots on deck 6 and 1 on deck 5 mid ship. Help!!! Debbie

Deck 7 OV have to have their curtains closed all the time, as the Promenade deck is right outside the windows. So, that defeats the purpose of having a window!

Deck 6 is underneathe the jogging track, and people do notice the pounding.

The cabins on deck 9 really aren't that obstructed - they have lifeboats directly beneathe them (deck 8), but you can still see straight out, so no problem.;)

The ships are old, but well maintained, and Monarch has the smallest cabins in RCL fleet - about 170 sq ft, I recall.

170 sq. ft. would be a good-sized cabin! Monarch's insides are 119 sq. ft., and oceanviews are 122 sq. ft.

The Monarch is a great ship! As others have said, the crew are wonderful. What I liked about the 4 nighter is it had the look and feel of a regular week's cruise, and it's got a lot of the amenities packed into the smaller ship. The public areas are nice, and we enjoyed the dining room and Windjammer a lot. Cabins are smaller than normal.

It's a good value.

Are they in Washington, too? Book this: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/booking/getCabinList.do;jsessionid=0000JbFpSEpEynk2zs4_9AbYRFp:12hbioe0u?cabincls=O&cabinType=SO&catCode=I&packageCode=MN04J004&shipCode=MN&sailDate=1080519&priceProgramCode=RESC01&hasAir=N

or this: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/booking/getCabinList.do;jsessionid=0000gW_Gmjlh3gGWH_nhyBuUUV_:12hbiodf7?cabincls=O&cabinType=SO&catCode=I&packageCode=MN04J004&shipCode=MN&sailDate=1080505&priceProgramCode=RES1B01X&hasAir=N

Of course almost everyone on the RCCL board will tell you they prefer the RCCL ship. I haven't been on the Elation, but I have been on other older Carnival ships (Mardis Gras, Paradise) as well as the newer ones (Miracle, Pride). I love the Monarch as you can see by my cruise history and upcoming cruises, but if I were booking anything less than a Junior Suite I would go with Carnival. The cabins are bigger. That's all there is to it...and I LOVE the Monarch. I think the shorter cruises get a bum party ship reputation because of the weekend cruises. I have taken my 83 year-old father on cruises during the week on both cruise lines and we never found it uncomfortable, especially the dates that you are interested in sailing. Now if you were looking at mid June when high school and college kids graduate, that might be a different story. Either one would be a great deal. Maybe you should do some sleuthing to find which ports they might be more interested in and let that help to make your decision.

Links didn't work. My folks live in SW Washington on the coast about 50 miles from the Oregon border. They are both 70 and very active. They don't drink. But neither do we and we still have lots of fun. I have heard that Carnival short cruises are more party boats. Debbie

Deck 7 OV have to have their curtains closed all the time, as the Promenade deck is right outside the windows. So, that defeats the purpose of having a window!

Deck 6 is underneathe the jogging track, and people do notice the pounding.

The cabins on deck 9 really aren't that obstructed - they have lifeboats directly beneathe them (deck 8), but you can still see straight out, so no problem.;)

Here is deck 7 on the sovereign class...

The lower row of windows is Deck 7, the upper is Deck 8.

2004548788_Deck7OV.jpg.85d2adc6a7543e0478d4558c1dc9e3c2.jpg

I just got back from the Monarch of the Seas this past week. We did the EXACT cruise you're looking at. I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!! Ages were wide spread. Staff was fantastic, and most importantly, there was definately something for every age to do all the time!

Personal suggestion when you book.... stay away from the 2nd and 3rd floors. For some reason, both our cabins smelled a little funny. Also the very front of the ship will have anchors drawn on Catalina Island at 7 am so you may want to book further back on the ship.

Overall I'm VERY satisified with Royal Caribbean and this cruise in general!!!!!

Here is deck 7 on the sovereign class...

The lower row of windows is Deck 7, the upper is Deck 8.

No way would I book on deck 7!

I think your best bets would be to book on deck 4, 8, or 9 (providing you don't want a JS or above on deck 10). I would personally only go for deck 9 or up, but then I like a bit more space. Deck 8 cabins are obstructed, though there are a few that have minimum obstruction, and are the better deal of the OV's. I would much rather be on deck 8 than deck 2, and the OV's are cheaper on deck 8, too.

Deck 5 is fine on the Monarch. thats the same level as the shops and one of the lounges so just make sure you're not too close for music and speakers sake. On the other hand, the only thing you need to worry about below you are dining rooms and the general area (not too noisy at all) so I would say thats a good idea!

Archived