Knitting on cruise?

jocelysue

I suspect there isn't going to be much time to knit on our med cruise- but I always try to knit in a public area when I can and see who comes along- one of these days I'll book one of the knitting cruises I see advertised- Channel Islands, etc. I hoping to see some Greek knitters- they maintain tension by wrapping yarn across the back of their necks, I've been told. I suspect we have a whole new thread here! Sandy

Well that gave me an idea. Why not start a new thread for knitters? Perhaps this isn't the right board. If it's not, the powers that be will suggest another one. But here goes. Are there many knitters among you? Do you take some of your knitting along on the cruise? If so, what level, easy knitting, intermediate projects or really adventurous ones? Do you knit in public places or restrain yourself to your stateroom? What is your favourite place to knit: Crow's Nest, on Deck, one of the lounges.....?

when in port do you do as Madeleine Albright is said to do and seek out local yarn shops? Do you but yarn for future projects?Do you look for other knitters to share patterns and techniques with?

I must admit to buying yarn in Brazil and in the Falklands last year but haven't gotten around to starting using it yet. Has any of you taken a knitters' cruise? If so, what's your opinion? If not, would you like to?

I can think of hundredsof other questions but let's see how this thread works.:)

For a few years, we were taking short 3/4 day cruises out of Los Angeles that would stop in Catalina Island. The first time, walking around, I found a yarn store. I found a pattern I wanted to try crocheting. So I bought the book, yarn and a hook. Well the next trip, I ran out of yarn. So back I went to that store. It got to be a frequent thing that I'd always visit that store every time I was on the island. The past few years, I've been cruising to Mexico. Not any yarn stores I've found there. :D

I do tend to knit or crochet (I do both and neither very well) more so in my cabin than in the public areas but mainly because everything seems to spread itself out and I manage to lose less if I confine my space! That being said, I'm still trying to decide on a small project to bring on this coming sailing...

Love to knit. Before airline regulations got strict, my knitting went everywhere with me. Then I got out of the habit of bringing it with me. I will have to start bringing it again now that regulations have settled a bit. Used to bring it everywhere - hospital waiting rooms, doctor offices, planes, cars, you name it. My latest project is a sweater with a hood made out of purple alpaca. Love to find knitting stores in my travels! We need a a knitters cruise, for sure!

Are there many knitters among you? Do you take some of your knitting along on the cruise? If so, what level, easy knitting, intermediate projects or really adventurous ones? Do you knit in public places or restrain yourself to your stateroom? What is your favourite place to knit: Crow's Nest, on Deck, one of the lounges.....?

when in port do you do as Madeleine Albright is said to do and seek out local yarn shops? Do you but yarn for future projects?Do you look for other knitters to share patterns and techniques with?

Your question made me think back and laugh. My first cruise (to Alaska) I brought so much yarn and projects with me. I thought, wow, so much time, I can get so much knitting done. I think I did one inch on a pair of socks and that was it. Now, I usually take one pair socks (simple pattern) with me and if I want to knit, I can.

I do look for yarn shops when I travel. I usually research them before I leave home so I don't miss any.

Oh, and when I knit, I knit in public - I don't stay in my cabin to knit. But, I travel solo, so I'd hate to be by myself in my room knitting. I live alone so I get enough alone time.

My knitting is always with me. I save the more complicated patterns for home and I never take anything too big. Socks done with the Magic Loop. You can find me in the Crow's nest (when there is nothing I care to do) working away happily.

On my last cruise, I could have made some good money with all the orders I could have taken for socks.

My knitting is always with me. I save the more complicated patterns for home and I never take anything too big. Socks done with the Magic Loop. You can find me in the Crow's nest (when there is nothing I care to do) working away happily.

On my last cruise, I could have made some good money with all the orders I could have taken for socks.

Now that's an idea.:cool: Take orders for socks & froufrou scarves. For high end sweaters. Pick up money for next cruise;)

I take my knitting with me on a cruise. I am one of those folks who takes a cruise to do nothing but relax and knitting is one of the most relaxing things I do. Normally I take whatever I am working on at the time, but for my upcoming cruise on the Oosterdam, I am going to take something less bulky. I am making a full length poncho style pullover out of wool and it is too big and the material too hot for the Mexican Riveria. I also have a lace shawl in the works, but that requires laying out the pattern paperwork and lots of counting. After answering the "what are you making" question 20 times, I lose count. Just last night I was looking at my pattern books for a smaller, less detailed project.

As for where do I knit, it is usually too windy out on deck. I like to find a lounge where I can spread my stuff out and watch the water go by. Since this is my first HAL cruise, I don't know where that is yet, but on RCCL, it was the Viking Crown lounge.

I always make friends thru my knitting. On one cruise, I ended up making friends with three other ladies who knit or did other handiwork. We met several times to work on our projects and chat.

I like the idea of a knitter's cruise. I have looked at a couple of them on-line, but they were either at a bad time for me or were sold out.

So what is everyone else making?

I always have a knitting project or 2 or 5 where ever I go. I work on socks, shawls, sweaters, pillows, whatever strikes my fancy and what type of room I have available.

Of course I allow room for yarn for the return trip too. Saddest knitting day - in the Aran Islands and only had room for purchased yarn for one sweater.

Wooden needles are great for airline trips. I try to use circular for most projects, even flat because I don't have to worry about losing a needle and I don't keep hitting my neighbor in the nose with my elbow or needle on the airplane.

I like to knit in the crows nest also, great view and a table to put my items down next to me.

Hint: I like to use cone yarn for my shawls and I use a wine gift box they are round or hexaganol with a lid and handle, perfect to hold the cone of yarn so it doesn't tip over, roll away or get dirty.

If you can't bring all your knitting books with you due to space, use your digitial camera to take pictures of the pages. Now you can print up your pages in the computer labs, of course you have to pay for the print time, but it is easier than bringing a huge lot of books. Or just print out the pages yourself at home.

Carol

http://carolcp2.home.att.net/knitting.htm

I haven't been knitting long (about 4 years) but on my first cruise I carried yarn and needles with me and made a scarf on the plane on the way to Seattle and gave it to my hostess there. Then I knitted another on the cruise. On my second cruise - again to Alaska - I discovered that it was a knitting cruise. There were knitters everywhere, many of them wearing their creations. I will probably carry some project with me on my next cruise but I don't have high expectations of finishing anything. I find that I am often too busy to knit. When I do knit, I knit in one of the public areas and often strike up a conversation with other people who are curious about what I am doing. I usually see a few other knitters on cruises.

I usually try to find local knit shops when I travel. I am looking forward to revisiting shops in Ketchikan and Skagway this cruise. I have also found shops in Seattle, Canada, and Bermuda.

Hi:

I always bring a knitting project whenever and wherever I travel. I knit all over the ship...in my cabin, in lounges, on deck. Sometimes I get alot done and other times just an inch or so, depending on ports and how many sea days. On my recent trip through the Panama Canal I got an amazing amount done on a sweater I am knitting for my grandson. Our 3 day sea day at the end of the cruise turned into 4 days when we had to miss a port in Mexico due to westerly winds and an unsafe harbor so I was able to knit, knit, knit!

A knitting cruise sounds interesting, I'll have to look into those.

Regards,

Arlene

I use to do a LOT of business travel and would take my knitting with me everywhere. I use to get a lot of attention from flight attendants and other passengers. I am not sure if it was because I was a male or if they just weren't use to seeing people knit on airlines.

Someone mentioned about relaxed airline regulations. Do they once again allow you to knit on airplanes?

Allen

Wow that's great! I think I have time to get a project selected and materials.

Hmm, now what to knit? I have knit jackets, skirts (out of linen too), and various sweaters. I haven't knit socks or mittens - just not my thing. I did spin up some quiviat for a scarf once. I wouldn't knit a scarf out of anything else. I just wish I could bring my spinning wheel on the ship. Hmmm, I wonder if my wife would wear a knit bikini!! (just kidding)

I find that knitting with cotton, silk, or linen is all I can stand in warm climates. Wool (of any nature) is just too warm to knit.

Any suggestions?

I do not knit, but I sew (actually I make most of my cruise clothes) I have taken a mini-sewing machine with me. I have also sat on a dam ship and finished what I am working on. I sew while waiting for my plane as well as on the plane. I sew in Doctors offices or anywhere else I might have to sit and wait for a while. And I have bought fabric in most of the ports I have visited. There is a GREAT fabric store in St. Thomas!!!

Don't knit but do crosstitch. Have taken it on several cruises and never ever picked it up. There always seems to be something else to do.

I'm another one who doesn't knit but I do tons of counted cross stitch. So far I've never brought any on a cruise, but it would sure be nice to have along for all those sea days on a world cruise (LOL)

Of course by the time we're able to do a world cruise I doubt if my eyes would still be able to take the strain. :D

On our 35 day Voyage of the Vikings on the Maasdam we had a group that met every day (If you wanted to) to Knit or do Needle Work. Someone had it put in the daily program that we would meet. When we got together one of the CD took a vote and set up a time for us to meet every day. We usually met in the Explores Lounge - but since they printed it daily and if that lounge was in use we were put somewhere else. So--if you are on a long cruise-- talk to the CD and see if they will set something up for you. Penny

I haven't been knitting long (about 4 years) but on my first cruise I carried yarn and needles with me and made a scarf on the plane on the way to Seattle and gave it to my hostess there. Then I knitted another on the cruise. On my second cruise - again to Alaska - I discovered that it was a knitting cruise. There were knitters everywhere, many of them wearing their creations. I will probably carry some project with me on my next cruise but I don't have high expectations of finishing anything. I find that I am often too busy to knit. When I do knit, I knit in one of the public areas and often strike up a conversation with other people who are curious about what I am doing. I usually see a few other knitters on cruises.

I usually try to find local knit shops when I travel. I am looking forward to revisiting shops in Ketchikan and Skagway this cruise. I have also found shops in Seattle, Canada, and Bermuda.

Judy: Where is the knitting shop you like in Seattle? Is it downtown? How about the one in ketchikan - do you have the name and location? Have you found any in Juneau? I would like to look these up on my upcoming AK cruise. Thanks for any info you might have! :)

I understand that there are a group of ladies who book World Cruises on HAL every year - They rarely step off the ship in port, but spend their days in the Explorer's Lounge knitting scarves, mittens, socks, etc. for the children of an orphanage at one of the later ports that the ladies decide upon.

HAL supplies the wool, the ladies supply the labor, and when the ship arrives at the pre-determined port, the ship staff bring the children from the orphanage aboard to receive their woolen gifts and enjoy ice creams with the ladies.

Judy: Where is the knitting shop you like in Seattle? Is it downtown? How about the one in ketchikan - do you have the name and location? Have you found any in Juneau? I would like to look these up on my upcoming AK cruise. Thanks for any info you might have! :)

I went to several in the Seattle area. One was in Kent. I was with a friend who owned a knit shop in North Carolina and we went to every knit shop anywhere near where we were staying in Kent but I can't remember the names of any of them. The shop in Ketchikan was upstairs in a very nice mall area on the waterfront. It had some beautiful yarns. I didn't buy anything because at that time I was just beginning and only knit scarves. I also went to a shop in Skagway. It was on one of the side streets about 2 blocks from the water but was easy to find. I don't know about a shop in Juneau. We didn't have time to do much looking or shopping there since our day was full with excursions. I plan to look up the shops in Ketchikan and Skagway in June.

What a fun thread! I always carry some knitting with me when we travel- we were on a Baltic cruise over 9/11 and I couldn't bring my knitting on the plane coming home- it was all so freaky and a bit scary at the airport and they wouldn't let me have the most calming thing! That was a very difficult trip for many reasons, and on many different levels, needless to say. I also seek out yarn stores when we travel- and have met some interesting people along the way. I usually knit in a lounge or on deck, hubby in tow with a book. I think it can be a great conversation starter. I'm already thinking about what to bring on the med cruise- it has to be interesting enough to keep me engaged, but not require a lot of extra tools or too much yarn. I also knit at baseball games- some teams are now sponsoring Pitch and Stitch nights now.

OOPS!:o :eek:

When I started the thread, I fully intended to include needle arts such as crocheting, cross- stitching, quilting, petit pointing, sewing, etc. Since this is intended to be a fun thread,:cool: let's be as inclusive as we can.

Archived