Considering HAL.....Are My Reasons Valid??

cruzeluver

OK HAL experts.....I humbly come to get your feedback.

My partner and I have sailed on three of the mass market lines (Carnival, NCL and RCCL). We have enjoyed all of our cruises, but want to step it up to the next level.

We prefer mid-size ships and would like a more refined experience (announcements for Bingo and such kept to a minimum, a more traditional atmosphere, do not need rockwalls, bowling alleys, ice skating etc.).

I am looking at the Veendam sailing from Tampa next January and from what I can tell it seems to fit the bill, but would look at other mid-size ships as well.

Cost is still a factor, and HAL seems to have the best rates of the "premium" lines.

So, is my thinking correct here, or am I way off base?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

They have the best rates because they are no longer a Premium line, their food is definitely not what it used to be, nor is their service. Their cabins are definitely very nice and their bedding is excellent but their service is no better and in some cases not a good as RCCL. I really cannot recommend HAL as I used to.

I think that I'd be LEARY about cruising on the Veendam. (VeenDOOM) ;)

There have been some pretty negative reviews .... just this week, in fact.

I can confidently vouch for the Volendam and the Amsterdam. They're lovely. (I get the feeling that HAL will hook you, kiddo!) :)

I've only been cruising on HAL for the past 6 years - Diana60 may have much more experience with HAL than I do and may be speaking of a decline from last century to this one.

For me, the service, food, and ship quality has actually improved slightly. My Volendam cruise in April was the best I've been on with HAL. The only other line I'd consider cruising on is Celebrity, but they have a punitive single supplement.

I cruised on the Veendam twice in 2002 and that is what led me to pick HAL as my line of choice. Having said that - the Veendam has had some mechanical problems off and on in the past 6 months. Pricing on the premium lines seems to vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise.

For me, the service, food, and ship quality has actually improved slightly. My Volendam cruise in April was the best I've been on with HAL. The only other line I'd consider cruising on is Celebrity, but they have a punitive single supplement.

I find that HAL has improved since my early cruises on the line in 80s. Sadly, I cannot say for any other line IMRE.

We much prefer them to the other mass market lines for ships, ambiance, food, service and demographic. Also, the ships are very well maintained and the cabins are terrific.:)

Thanks for all of the quick replies!

I was not aware that the Veendam was having issues (seems to be a trend with me, I always pick the ones notorious for breakdowns or just plain bad luck!).

Also looked at the Statendam. I need to cruise from Florida, off season to keep costs down, and that seemed my other best option.

Thanks again.

Thanks for all of the quick replies!

I was not aware that the Veendam was having issues (seems to be a trend with me, I always pick the ones notorious for breakdowns or just plain bad luck!).

Thanks again.

Here's some recent noise about the Veendam. Note that there are differing opinions, but personally, I won't book her. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=732065

I was on the Veendam 4 years back. At least at that time it was very nice. I have done 6 HAL cruises and like them better than the other lines I have cruised and we have tried most of the others. I have always liked the food on HAL and the service is just the best. I have always found if a HAL ship have a problem it is fixed . They stay on top of keeping the ships up much more then a lot of the other lines. Even back when we traveled on the Old Westerdam I felt it was kept up better than some other lines ships half it's age.

We've booked an AK cruise in July on the Ryndam. Concerned with the comments about Veendam and it's condition and the Ryndam is 2 years older. Should we be concerned with her condition?

I haven't heard any "horror stories" about the Ryndam, but apparently there were plumbing problems in '05:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=733852

I see that you're new to the forum. I suggest that you click on the REVIEWS link on the top of this page. Blue lettering on a gold background. That'll be a good place to start reading up on the ship. I know nothing about it. :o

My partner and I have sailed on three of the mass market lines (Carnival, NCL and RCCL). We have enjoyed all of our cruises, but want to step it up to the next level.

We prefer mid-size ships and would like a more refined experience (announcements for Bingo and such kept to a minimum, a more traditional atmosphere, do not need rockwalls, bowling alleys, ice skating etc.).

I am looking at the Veendam sailing from Tampa next January and from what I can tell it seems to fit the bill, but would look at other mid-size ships as well.

Cost is still a factor, and HAL seems to have the best rates of the "premium" lines.

Can't tell you anything about the Veendam, but sailed on the Westerdam and was immediately impressed by the ambiance, service, lack of crowding, cabins, etc. At around 82,000, even the Vista class ships are what I'd call "mid-sized" compared with what other lines are putting out there. I certainly think HAL is a step above. I've been cruising for a long, long time and have experienced most of the main line cruise lines. We are presently looking forward to a nice long transatlantic on the Zuiderdam. Then I'll have even more experience to base my opinion on.:cool:

In short, I think your thinking is absolutely right on.

Frankly, I'm surprised by the negative answers you have received. I've sailed all of the lines you mention as well as HAL. I've been cruising for more than 40years. In my opinion, HAL is, dollar for dollar, one of the best values in cruising today.

Of course there are sometimes when things don't go perfectly, but that's the case wherever one goes in life.

The Veendam had problems on two cruises last year with one propeller. She missed some ports of call because of being slower than she normally cruises. That was fixed and she has sailed perfectly since, so far as I know. She is a lovely ship with many loyal fans. She is one of the smaller of HAL mid sized ships.

Generally, HAL provides a good experience on beautifully kept mid sized ships with consistently excellent crew and staff. The ships are elegant, not garish. The dining rooms are quite beautiful and the food is, in my opinion, way above average for the larger cruise lines.

I've been at it for a long time and, in my opinion, you can book the Veendam and look forward to a wonderful cruise. As a bonus, if she is sailing out of Tampa on the cruise you have booked, you will find Tampa one of the easiest embarkation ports in the country.

I hope you go and have a wonderful time.

Please name the ship in any category, Premium or otherwise which has not had a problem at one time or another with engines, air conditioning, plumbing, service, food.....you name it.

Veendam is a lovely ship. Look for Heather from Florida's review of her 14 days aboard November 2007. She said it was fabulous service and she thought the cruise wonderful.

We have sailed Veendam many times and would do so without hesitation.

She's a terrific ship.

We sail Maasdam at least 2-3 (and more) times per year and she is Veendam's older sister by at least 2-3 years.

I still consider HAL a premium line. Not the top of the line like Crystal or Regency, but the top of any mass market lines out there.

I sailed in '99 on the "old" Noordam, I think she was only about 40,000 gross tons and we absolutely loved her. You could walk all the way around the ship on the teak wood promenade deck and still not be tuckered out. Fresh flowers were everywhere, even on an Alaskan cruise. On Glacier viewing day they had free split pea soup and hot chocolate on deck. We got a last minute bargain of $450 for the 7 day cruise, and in those days I didn't know enough to book a specific cabin. We ended up with an ocean view.

Then for our cruisetour in '07 I again looked to HAL, this time on the Zuiderdam, and insisted on a balcony cabin (I won't cruise without one now). While she is the largest class that HAL sails at 90,000 gross tons, and she was noticeably larger than the Noordam (like double the size) it was still just as lovely.

The beds are heavenly, the robes plush, the amenities in the bathrooms were wonderful, and the crew always had a smile and a hello, even if it wasn't your own staff.

I don't think you can go wrong with HAL!

My humble opinion and that is all it is: you are leaning in the right dircdtion and may find just what you want on HAL. Now that I have said that, to me, HAL is still not a true primium line, though it is called that.

don't get me wrong, when we can bring ourselves to give up freestyle dining and an energetic crew we consider only HAL, but it isn't all that much different. I am only saying this so you won't expect the ships to be very different from what you have already experienced. The biggest difference we found: food was better especially the lunch buffet and the dinner choises and the cabins are larger.

nita

Actually, the negative posts about the Veendam itself have only been by one poster, who I understand hasn't sailed on her. I have and had a great time.

LOL - I can't imagine posting an opinion about a ship I've never sailed on! In any event, I was booked on the Veendam sailing this week but HAL called to say they were overbooked. They refunded my cruise fare and put me on the 4/6 sailing. I could have taken the 14-day cruise leaving this weekend even though I'd only booked a 7-day. They also offered a couple of 10-day itinerary choices and a 13-day, but I didn't have any extra uncommitted vacation time so I had to stick with the 7-day. I have no doubt my Veendam cruise will be as wonderful as all my previous HAL cruises!

Sue/WDW1972

Veendam 4/06/08

Cruseluver,

Was asking the same questions as you several months ago. I started reading the HAL boards and talking with some friends who had sailed HAL.

My partner and myself were seeking the same type of cruise experience as you stated in your OP. We decided to book the Eurodam for this November and very happy with that decision. This will be our first cruise on HAL so I cant offer you any assurances but with talking to others I believe we will will not be disappointed in HAL. So far all my dealings with HAL have been very professional. So wish you the best in your decision but in re- reading your OP I think you will be impressed by HAL. It just seemed to fit what we were looking for in a cruise vacation.

Sincerely,

Dan and Miguel

It's impossible to project what will happen on any ship, any cruise line ten months into the future.

I sail with Carnival, RCL and NCL and come home to HAL.

I agree with what poster DFD1 said, HAL is the best value.

We did our first cruise with HAL last year on the Westerdam. We absolutely loved it! The ship was beautiful, the service the best we've ever had, and the food was comparable to most of the other cruiselines. We liked it so much, we're cruising the Westerdam again in 3 weeks.

We also love Celebrity, and I would say the two are very comparable. Celebrity's food used to be a notch above the other cruiselines, but I felt recently it has slipped a bit, but it's certainly good.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Westerdam. She sails out of Ft. Lauderdale. I'm surprised you haven't checked out that ship. We love the Aruba, Curacao, HMC itinerary.

Jo-Ann

They have the best rates because they are no longer a Premium line, their food is definitely not what it used to be, nor is their service. Their cabins are definitely very nice and their bedding is excellent but their service is no better and in some cases not a good as RCCL. I really cannot recommend HAL as I used to.

I honestly think it depends on the ship. Are you referring to the Vista class ships, or the others in the HAL fleet. I personally think service on the Vista class ships is nowhere near the level that it is on the smaller vessels. This is probably due to the sheer number of passengers onboard the Vistas, and the fact that they often sail over their stated capacity since they do shorter itineraries that are attractive to the family market; i.e., children traveling in third and fourth berths in their parents' stateroom.

As for food, I think that, for the money you pay, HAL is probably your best option. True, the food on anything other than a luxury line has probably gone downhill in the past few years. But, I still think it is better on HAL than on some lines.

True, I have not sailed many of those other lines, but I have sailed on some, and read hundreds of reviews on others. Seems just about everyone who has been cruising for any length of time, no matter what line they sail on, complains about the food onboard today.

I would still confidently recommend HAL to friends looking for a more "refined" cruising experience. I would not recommend it to families, though, since I think a lot of the other lines out there are far better suited for handling the special needs of children than HAL is.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Just got off the Ryndam a week ago. It is I believe a copy of the Veendam. It certainly seemed good value, and staff was friendly. We tend to go when induced by rates in the $75 per day per person area, not always possible however. (Inside cabin guarantee. We were on Lower Promenade Deck. We had a great time. Clientelle (sp) seems about 6 to 8 years older on average than Princess/Celebrity, but that was just fine with us. All decks, paint, varnish were constantly being cared for.

I'd rate food better on Celebrity (Mercury and Summit) and entertainment better on Princess(Grand, Diamond, Coral), but my wife and I are low key on the entertainment and thoroughly enjoyed a band that played 60's mellow music on this last cruise. We also really enjoyed Jim and Ann Curry, a John denver sound-alike.

Each cruise we try to find our niche of what we enjoy most, and go with that. We've never had a "bad" cruise.

Archived