Need a crash course on VOS!!

We are not new to cruising or Galveston, but new to RCCL. We have done one on Carnival, two on Celebrity and one on Princess. DH has a bee up his butt and wants to maybe do Voyager on 3/30, but I'd rather do the 4/6 sailing because of the ports.

I need a crash course on RCCL must-know info and any special info for VOS. There is me (43), DH (52) and DS who is almost 7.

So everyone spill your knowledge! I want food info - special dishes you love or what to avoid. Ice cream info for DH & DS.

The fruit soups and the flourless chocolate cake.

For your DH and DS - tell them to make at least one trip to the public men's room on deck 13. I haven't seen it in person - only in pictures. It should be a unique experience. You might be able to find pictures if you "Google" it.

(Edit - I think it's deck 13. Can anyone confirm?)

you want a voyager class ship, or radiance class is ok too, your family will be very happy, and coffee and doghnuts are on deck 5,you are billed up-frony on excursions,opposit of princess,have a great trip;)

For your DH and DS - tell them to make at least one trip to the public men's room on deck 13. I haven't seen it in person - only in pictures. It should be a unique experience. You might be able to find pictures if you "Google" it.

Deck 11 Near Windjammer and the florist. I have to check out the honey stung chicken, I missed it. My wife took this picture at 2am the last night.

guess.jpg

We just came off the VOS on March 2. On decks 2 and 3 you can't get here from there. If you are fore and need to get aft, you need to go to deck 4 or 5 and cross the ship. The ice rink and conference center block the center of the ship. We had an ocean view cabin on deck 2 and got used to going up and across to go down fairly quickly.

The snacks at the Promenade Cafe are delicious. Little sandwiches, wonderful cookies (my favorite was the peanut butter ones) and pizza. They are open all day and well into the night.

The shows on the Promenade are fun. Catch them if you can. They might be a little to late in the evening for your DS.

Don't miss getting the tickets for the ice show. It doesn't cost extra, but you do need a ticket. I loved it!

We are somewhat "seasoned" cruisers and I have to say that the production numbers with the ship's singers and dancers were the best we've ever seen. The shows were great with the exception of the comedian on Tuesday night. I would have slept through his performance, but he kept making noises that kept me awake ;)

The food was wonderful. We ate breakfast in the dining room twice and lunch once, but I really prefer Windjammer for those meals. We did go to Johnny Rocket's once for lunch and it was yummy. I suggest going as early as possible as there is a big line on sea days. The onion rings are really good.

If you can find the site (I couldn't) make your spa reservation online before hand. The first sea day was all booked up at 1 PM the day we sailed. The gal there told me that people book their spa appointments online. I've been doing my "wine and dine" package on line for several years, but I've never found a spa booking site.

If you are going to Roatan, you might all enjoy Gumbalimba Park. My DH is s sucker for animals and had a great time with monkeys and parrots sitting on his shoulder. We also paid extra when we were through with the "tour" to do the canopy tour (zip line). Even though we are old folks (66 and 61) we had a blast swinging through the trees.

We are booked on VOS on November 1 for a 7 day Mediterranean cruise and can't wait to get back on her, even though our preference is for the Rhapsody (we are in love with her) and the Radiance class ships which, to us, are almost perfect in size.

There is an indoor hot tub in the spa that a lot pf people don't know about. The gym is really nice, too. If you don't want to be bothered signing in and out for your beach towels, you can get them right off the shelf in the locker room at the spa.

My granddaughters have been cruising since they were in diapers and they rate the Adventure Ocean as the next best to the Disney Cruise kid's program.

Have a wonderful trip. I think you will enjoy RCI.

Deck 11 on the port side

They have a specialty restaurant called Portifinos. If you want to eat there make your reservations early. We sailed on B2B cruises so we got to see all of the ports she sails to. We loved the Roatan and Progresso cruise the most. We have already been to Grand Cayman several times, and hubby hates Jamaica so we will be sailing to Roatan etc if we go out of Galveston again.

In Cozumel we took the ATV tour, through the ship, and had a blast. Be prepared to get muddy.;) Book it early as it fills up.

Post your specific questions and you will get some great answers.

Get your ice tickets early.

Don't forget Cafe Promanade, it is free. Johnny Rockets does cost you money to eat there. Their sundae is wonderful!!!!

If you can find the site (I couldn't) make your spa reservation online before hand. The first sea day was all booked up at 1 PM the day we sailed. The gal there told me that people book their spa appointments online. I've been doing my "wine and dine" package on line for several years, but I've never found a spa booking site.

There is not a website to book spa reservations online. What probably happened is the concierge contacted people in suites and prebooked their reservations for them. Then all the people that boarded the ship first went to the spa first to book up their spa appointments. It's been pretty common on all the ships I've sailed that the spa books up extremely fast for the first sea day and/or first formal night.

3,000 people but never felt crowded except during the parades on the Prominade, then the crowds add to the occasion.

Food: Dramatic improve over other recnt RCI cruises.

DO NOT miss the Ice Show!

Deck 11 Mens Room! Have a guy get the all clear, then visit for yourself!!!!

Production Shows: Best Singing voices ever heard on a cruise ship!

Ship is easy to get around, not like someof the other Mega-Ships (like Princess) where there are a ton of dead ends. Think deck 5 as the main thoroughfare.

Service levels: Improved over other recent RCI cruises.

Bon Voyage!!!!!!!!!

PS DO NOT MISS QUEST Nope, don't ask, won't tell, but DO NOT MISS.

Okay, you guys have been really helpful, but my lovable but dorky husband just figured out (duh) that either cruise would be in the first 10 days of the month and being the CFO of the small company, he can't be gone.... He can pass the CPA exam but didn't have this figured out???? I still love him, but am a little miffed at the same time. I still very much want to go on VOS - my dorkiness is that I want to ice skate on a ship..... I don't guess it's going to be this year though. I will probably have to wait until spring 2009. I'm still going to collect all the info I can in case he does this again and I can be ready, so keep all the info coming!

Archived