Minor Child denied boarding on Summit. Because of not having fathers permission.

Amlee

Here is a link to a sample form. I tried to enter link, but site blocked it. Basically it's just I authorize travel for my child and the travel info - flight, ship and dates signed and notarized.

I have traveled many times with my daughter (her dad died) and I carry her passport, birth certificate and her dad's death certificate, but have never been asked for anything.

I am so sorry that this happened to the parent but I know better. I am a single parent and always carry my son's birth certificate, passpost, my divorce decree, our custody agreement and a notorized letter from his father.

If the child in question had a valid passport- then it probably wouldn't have been an issue- because both parents have to sign for a passport if the child is under 13.

However- even with my son's passport I travel with the accompanying documents to be on the safe side. I have a different last name from my son and even in airports they will ask his name, date of birth and if I am his mother.

This happened to my friend a couple years ago when she took her teenage son on a cruise. She's a single mom and the dad has no visitation rights and also pays no child support. She STILL had to find him to get permission. She was ticked. Thankfully she knew where his parents lived and was able to reach him thru them.

tYou are not alone. There are a great many parents who have missing ex's or even hostile ones, where it's impossible to get in contact with let alone get a notarized letter from.

What I would do in your situation would be to spend a couple hundred dollars and get the courts to grant me full and complete custody of my son including the right to travel with him anywhere. Then I would carry that court order with me.

It's a small price and hassle to pay in order to save thousands of dollars if you were to get refused at the port or airport.

Just because you haven't been stopped before doesn't mean you won't.

I am so sorry that this happened to the parent but I know better. I am a single parent and always carry my son's birth certificate, passpost, my divorce decree, our custody agreement and a notorized letter from his father.

If the child in question had a valid passport- then it probably wouldn't have been an issue- because both parents have to sign for a passport if the child is under 13.

However- even with my son's passport I travel with the accompanying documents to be on the safe side. I have a different last name from my son and even in airports they will ask his name, date of birth and if I am his mother.

These comments are scaring me!!!

I just recently applied for my 14yr old daughter's passport, and was given a hard time by the man taking the application because her "father" was not present. When I explained to him that she did not have a father, he seemed very confused, and then got very defensive... like I was lying to him.

He asked me if she was adopted... I said no, I gave birth to her... he then said, well then, she HAS to have a father. I sarcastically asked, have you ever heard of sperm donors?

I gave him her birth certificate, that ONLY lists me as the parent... no father... he said that was not good enough, and told me I would need a LEGAL document from the court stating I was the only parent. Uh, isn't a birth certificate a legal document?

I finally left, and went home and called the passport office. They politely gave me an address of another place I could submit my daughter's application. They said he was totally out of line since LEGALLY there is no father.

Anyway, I am now wondering if I am going to have a hard time when we travel? This is our first trip out of the US.

dkjretired,

Thank you for the document wording. I will have this document notorized. I have traveled out of the country alone with DD many times but would certainly not want to take ANY chances. Thanks to everyone for the heads up.

You are wise to travel with those documents but again, a passport is not permission to travel and both parents signatures when getting a passport is not considered permission to go on a particular trip. That is a common mistake that many make.

Not true. A passport is not indication that the other parent consents to this trip.

As far as the comment that I was not asked for the consent therefore you will not have a problem is as meaningless as saying because you did 100 mph down the interstate, you can do it all the time and get away with it.

The requirement is clear.

Get the affidavit. Don't take any chances.

a notarized letter from the parents of Johns niece when we took her a few years ago.

We were asked for the letter, but not the consent form, but we had it just in case...she was also 17 at the time. We all have different last names.

We called X and asked them what to do prior to the cruise and they were very helpful.

I think the problem is most people just assume certain things without researching the legalities of them.

Dave:eek:

a notarized letter from the parents of Johns niece when we took her a few years ago.

We were asked for the letter, but not the consent form, but we had it just in case...she was also 17 at the time. We all have different last names.

We called X and asked them what to do prior to the cruise and they were very helpful.

I think the problem is most people just assume certain things without researching the legalities of them.

Dave:eek:

I agree Dave and I think another thing they happens is everyone is just happy to go on vacation and doesn't think of these things. Whenever I see these threads I think of an older Sally Field movie which I can't think of the name of in which she is married to a man from Iran and goes there for a visit with their child and the father won't let the child go back to the US. Not that this will happen but it is the reason for rules..

Whenever I see these threads I think of an older Sally Field movie which I can't think of the name of in which she is married to a man from Iran and goes there for a visit with their child and the father won't let the child go back to the US.

"Not Without My Daughter". Scary scenario.

Just to give you all a little update. I have not seen this family onboard at all. I have seen one of the couples with them, but not the family with the 17 year old or the grandparents.

At check in yesterday I did hear the step father very loudly say THAT IS HER ID! So I'm not sure what ID she had. I'll keep my eyes open for them.

In my profession I have heard of several situations where a father or mother has threatened to take the baby back home to Italy, Romania, etc, (you fill in the country of your choice) "and you'll never see him again!" A parent who is angry with the other parent will often use the child to get back at the other parent. Sad but true.

Over 90% of child abductions are by family members or friends of the family, someone who knows the child and the child knows. Even a teenager might not understand the ramifications of leaving the country with one of their parents if that parent has abduction in mind.

I am surprised at how reluctant people are to comply with regulations that aim to help stop such a horrendous crime.

I agree that the danger of kidnapping by a parent is very scary, but come on this girl is 17, and clearly with a large extended family. Also she was a past passenger, It's too bad that the authorities didn't practice some common sense instead of taking the 'zero tolerance" route. I can't imagine what a single mom does if she can't track down the dad, It seems that there need to be some new regulations to keep up with changing families. And op, please let us know if they make it on the ship!

Just to give you all a little update. I have not seen this family onboard at all. I have seen one of the couples with them, but not the family with the 17 year old or the grandparents.

At check in yesterday I did hear the step father very loudly say THAT IS HER ID! So I'm not sure what ID she had. I'll keep my eyes open for them.

Amlee:

I realize you are on board and I don't mean to dispute what you are saying however if you heard the step father saying "that is her ID" makes me wonder if this is not just a case of not having the proper ID as opposed to not having both parents permission.

I glad this issue is being explored because many people are not aware of the requirements for traveling with children under 18 years old.

Because we go to Mexico quite often, and I kept my maiden name when I married, I always travel with my daughter's birth certificate, although she has had a passport since she was 3 years old. About 5 years ago, we missed a flight to Puerto Vallarta because the Continental Airlines agent insisted that my husband and I had to have a copy of our marriage certificate as well.

Now we travel with copies of our daughter's birth certificate, a copy of our marriage certificate, and when I travel without my husband, a notarized letter showing his consent for our daughter to leave the country. No-one has asked to see anything over the years. Then last month at Newark, on our way to San Juan, I was asked for all 3 items.

Amlee:

I realize you are on board and I don't mean to dispute what you are saying however if you heard the step father saying "that is her ID" makes me wonder if this is not just a case of not having the proper ID as opposed to not having both parents permission.

Nope, finally ran into the Grandparents this afternoon. They didn't have a sign form from the father. Lucky for them the mother and father were on good terms and he was able to fax something in giving his permission. Not sure how it all went down, but that was what I was told, by the grandmother.

My parents and I are sailing next Jan with 3 minors who are not ours(grandkids/Nieces and Nephew). My nephew is out of the picture. He hasn't seen or heard from his mother in over a year. She has no rights to visit, nor does she pay child support. My parents (who he lives with) and my brother have joint custody of him. She plans to double check with the lawyers tomorrow, as to what we have to do to take him out of the country. He has a passport already. But we don't want to run into any troubles like this bunch did.

I glad this issue is being explored because many people are not aware of the requirements for traveling with children under 18 years old.

Because we go to Mexico quite often, and I kept my maiden name when I married, I always travel with my daughter's birth certificate, although she has had a passport since she was 3 years old. About 5 years ago, we missed a flight to Puerto Vallarta because the Continental Airlines agent insisted that my husband and I had to have a copy of our marriage certificate as well.

Now we travel with copies of our daughter's birth certificate, a copy of our marriage certificate, and when I travel without my husband, a notarized letter showing his consent for our daughter to leave the country. No-one has asked to see anything over the years. Then last month at Newark, on our way to San Juan, I was asked for all 3 items.

Good advice, I remember from reading the various threads over the years that Mexico is the toughest especially on stays over 24 hours...

MAN! That is a total bummer.

We were at the airport once, and there was a family going to Mexico for Christmas vacation. They denied boarding to the 16/17 year old girl for the same reason.

So in 2003, when we took our kids from different marriages on a cruise, we had all the papers in hand. We were never questioned, but I felt much better knowing that I had those papers from the "B" team.

Having worked in the airline industry for many years I have seen so many sad situations at Immigration as families leave for their vacation.

Mostly custody is the main reason these situations occur.

One experience I remember so well is a family of newly wedded husband and wife, his son and daughter and her daughter proceeded through immigration to depart on their overseas vacation. As soon as the childs passport is entered in the computer system, wam; a pop up shows the father has put a stop to the child leaving the country. At that point there is absolutely nothing that can be done. He can do this, even though sadly quite often that party doesn't advise the other that he has put this block on his child.

Sadly so many times I have been the one to walk away holding the hand of a most distressed child as the rest of the family walk away from them to proceed on their vacation. It's a catch 22 because the child can't travel and the rest of the family can't cancel at that point either.

In some cases a parent allows a child to depart on vacation with an ex partner only to find that it is the last time they ever see their child again.

Any situations like these are always terribly sad, and sadly the children are always in the middle.

Jillybean

These comments are scaring me!!!

I just recently applied for my 14yr old daughter's passport, and was given a hard time by the man taking the application because her "father" was not present. When I explained to him that she did not have a father, he seemed very confused, and then got very defensive... like I was lying to him.

He asked me if she was adopted... I said no, I gave birth to her... he then said, well then, she HAS to have a father. I sarcastically asked, have you ever heard of sperm donors?

I gave him her birth certificate, that ONLY lists me as the parent... no father... he said that was not good enough, and told me I would need a LEGAL document from the court stating I was the only parent. Uh, isn't a birth certificate a legal document?

I finally left, and went home and called the passport office. They politely gave me an address of another place I could submit my daughter's application. They said he was totally out of line since LEGALLY there is no father.

Anyway, I am now wondering if I am going to have a hard time when we travel? This is our first trip out of the US.

This is the point I was trying to make. I also know a number of single women who have adopted. So, besides a passport they need some other court order stating they have full custody and are the only parent?

Nope, finally ran into the Grandparents this afternoon. They didn't have a sign form from the father. Lucky for them the mother and father were on good terms and he was able to fax something in giving his permission. Not sure how it all went down, but that was what I was told, by the grandmother.

My parents and I are sailing next Jan with 3 minors who are not ours(grandkids/Nieces and Nephew). My nephew is out of the picture. He hasn't seen or heard from his mother in over a year. She has no rights to visit, nor does she pay child support. My parents (who he lives with) and my brother have joint custody of him. She plans to double check with the lawyers tomorrow, as to what we have to do to take him out of the country. He has a passport already. But we don't want to run into any troubles like this bunch did.

Thank you for the update! :) So glad the girl was able to go on the cruise. :D

This is the point I was trying to make. I also know a number of single women who have adopted. So, besides a passport they need some other court order stating they have full custody and are the only parent?

If a single woman adopts a child, there would be no father listed on the birth certificate.

When I had my son, they would not allow me to put the father's name on the birth certificate because we were not married. So, his original BC has no father listed. Later on, I had his father's name added to the BC. So, whenever I took him to Mexico, I took the original BC without his father's name.

Judy

I did not adopt my daughter... I gave birth to her... so there cannot possibly be any other document stating that I have full custody... that man was crazy.

I do not know anything about adopted situations...

If a single woman adopts a child, there would be no father listed on the birth certificate.

When I had my son, they would not allow me to put the father's name on the birth certificate because we were not married. So, his original BC has no father listed. Later on, I had his father's name added to the BC. So, whenever I took him to Mexico, I took the original BC without his father's name.

Smart thinking, Judy... but I would think you could have gotten in some big trouble if they found out that birth certificate was not valid (I am assuming that when a change is made, it invalidates the prior).

This is EXACTLY why I am the only parent on my daughter's birth certificate... her father WANTED to be on it, but we were not married, and I really did not see much of a future with him, so "I" decided not to put him on it to eliminate any future situations such as these.

The hospitals WILL allow a father's name to be listed on the birth certificate even if the parents are not married as long as the father signs an affidavit stating that he is indeed the father of said child (at least in Texas).

Now days things are so different. When I had my son (34 years ago), if you weren't married, you weren't allowed to put the father's name on the birth certificate. It had to be done later after paternity was established by the court. They wouldn't even register a child in the county if the parents were not married, only with the state. So, he cannot get a new birth certificate at the county clerk, he has to get it from the state.

I knew nobody would question the birth certificate I took. If there was no father listed they weren't going to ask questions. At least back then they didn't, now they probably would. But, yes it was invalid.

Judy

Archived