All Things Freedom of the Seas!

I've seen questions and comments about this so I thought I'd post for anyone interested.... Just got off the FOS eastern itinerary and we did NOT need to wear our life vests at the muster drill.

yep, me too. I just returned yesterday. Not only that you don't have to wear the life vests...you don't even need to bring them to the muster drill.

Also, the new system for seeing the ice show is far inferior to the old system. It used to be that you got tickets and then went to the show, but now it really is a pain, where it is first come first served. I did not meet a single person on the ship who preferred the new method.

Also, strange experience about the seat saving by the pools.

Thursday of this past week was a sea day and of course tons of seats were being "saved" in the usual manner. I observed someone complain to a woman (Gina from Peru) who is in the deck patrol in the solarium section about not being able to find a seat and there were a lot of seats just empty, being reserved with towels and books and such. Gina shrugged her shoulders and said there was nothing that she could do.

The next morning (also a sea day) I heard an announcement by the pools around 7:30 am that said that seat saving is not permitted and will be enforced. A couple hours later, I observed the same woman (Gina) writing down times and placing them on a sticker on the backs of vacant chairs. Then about 30-45 minutes later she returned and removed all the stuff from the chairs that had the stickers on them.

Strange that RCL decides to start enforcing this policy on the last day of the cruise.

Also, while I watched some of my fellow guests get angry with the way that this policy was being enforced, I left a note for my wife who was taking a nap next to me on a chair and I wrote "went to the cabin at 9:45. Be back in a few" When I returned it was 7 minutes later and several strangers told me that Gina had attempted to remove my towel and stuff, but they prevented her from doing so.

Also, this past week the cruise director announced that the singers/dancers were changing after our sailing. Who knows how much of a change will take place, but he said this was the last time that this group would be together on the freedom.

Also, I noted that one of the performances was the same as what I saw on the freedom 2 years ago. The others were different, but one of the "Vegas-style" performances was the same. Maybe a change in the performers is a good thing if it results in a change in the show.

Thanks for the update, Snorkelman.

When we were on the Jewel, one of us had to "stand guard" over our chairs, if one went into the water or the hot tub. I don't think it was anyone on staff who moved things, but a fellow passenger. It seemed odd, but someone was feeling very strong about chair hogs.

Edited by Lynne95

Also, strange experience about the seat saving by the pools.

Thursday of this past week was a sea day and of course tons of seats were being "saved" in the usual manner. I observed someone complain to a woman (Gina from Peru) who is in the deck patrol in the solarium section about not being able to find a seat and there were a lot of seats just empty, being reserved with towels and books and such. Gina shrugged her shoulders and said there was nothing that she could do.

The next morning (also a sea day) I heard an announcement by the pools around 7:30 am that said that seat saving is not permitted and will be enforced. A couple hours later, I observed the same woman (Gina) writing down times and placing them on a sticker on the backs of vacant chairs. Then about 30-45 minutes later she returned and removed all the stuff from the chairs that had the stickers on them.

Strange that RCL decides to start enforcing this policy on the last day of the cruise.

Also, while I watched some of my fellow guests get angry with the way that this policy was being enforced, I left a note for my wife who was taking a nap next to me on a chair and I wrote "went to the cabin at 9:45. Be back in a few" When I returned it was 7 minutes later and several strangers told me that Gina had attempted to remove my towel and stuff, but they prevented her from doing so.

Just got back from the FOS East Carb & took matters into my own hands on the 2nd sea day.

Watch a towel get a nice suntan for 1+ hr.

Told my gf I don't think any1 is sitting there & made a move.

A couple came & woke me up & used some invectives towards me about moving their stuff & taking their lounger.

Told them - the towel sat there for 60+ minutes getting a suntan without the company of a book or sunblock (btw items I also saw getting some sun on their own @ other loungers).

No other personal belonging sat on said lounger.

They stormed off mad. Oh well - either limit your away time to ~30-45 minutes or take turns watching your stuff.

There are ways to handle your personal real estate.

As for the chair hogs - woke up @ 7am & walked by to see them set up their towels & no other items & walk off to do breakfast or whatever.

Next cruise, stuff goes missing if RCL doesn't enforce it.

Sorry, I thought I was on a different thread. You are correct, the Mariner and Freedom are different classes. Nonetheless, I believe the Freedom class is just a lengthen version of the Voyager class with a hot tub added to each side (boy am I going to get flamed for that). I believe the width of each ship is the same.

Yes FOS didn't seem any bigger practically for me vs. EOS that I rode on back in '01.

Flowrider & 2 Solarium hot tubs is all I noticed.

I have to agree with my fellow cruisers on Aug. 23rd sailing. I was really disgusted in the way RCCL was not enforcing the rules.

My biggest gripe is the dining room. If you print that no shorts are allowed in the dining room after 6 PM, then enforce it! I saw more people in shorts and I mean short shorts and flip flops than I have ever seen. On a formal night, ties and jackets are required, so why are they letting people in wearing jeans and tee shirts.

As for the ice show, I can't say which I prefer as I didn't get to guest relations soon enough last time to get tickets and I had to stand in line, same as this time.

To the chair saving hogs, I watched towels get a tan for over 2 hours while I sat on the hard pool deck in the solarium. I spoke to a deck patrol person who shrugged his shoulders and said to me, "maybe they went for lunch".

Ok, i'm a rule follower, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I enjoyed my July cruise on Explorer much better, the food was better and for the most part, they followed the rules. However, part of the problem i'm sure were the reasons I was on each ship which has nothing to do with RCCL.

That being said, there is still nothing better than a vacation at sea!

Cheryl

I have to agree with my fellow cruisers on Aug. 23rd sailing. I was really disgusted in the way RCCL was not enforcing the rules.

My biggest gripe is the dining room. If you print that no shorts are allowed in the dining room after 6 PM, then enforce it! I saw more people in shorts and I mean short shorts and flip flops than I have ever seen. On a formal night, ties and jackets are required, so why are they letting people in wearing jeans and tee shirts.

Cheryl - I was in MTD dining on deck 5 of the 8/23 FOS & for the most part only noticed a couple of ppl in shorts or jeans & tee shirts.

The latter happened to sit next to me.

& of all places, a person strolled through Chops with a cigarette on his ear in ripped jeans & tee. These types of examples make all the argument about how RCL is better than CCL moot.

That being said - I also was too surprised that the rules weren't enforced in the dining areas.

However, for the better part 99.9% of ppl dressed for the occasion on all nights.

As for the ice show, I can't say which I prefer as I didn't get to guest relations soon enough last time to get tickets and I had to stand in line, same as this time.

There were no tickets needed for the ice show on this trip.

To the chair saving hogs, I watched towels get a tan for over 2 hours while I sat on the hard pool deck in the solarium. I spoke to a deck patrol person who shrugged his shoulders and said to me, "maybe they went for lunch".

Ok, i'm a rule follower, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Well there are plenty of ways to toss personal possessions overboard nearby if the rules aren't enforced.

Beautiful sea air comes through those wide open solarium deck windows ;)

Edited by OV8

"There were no tickets needed for the ice show on this trip."

Sorry OV8, I meant last month's trip on the Explorer as opposed to this month's trip on the Freedom.

I was at the 6 PM seating and was surrounded by people who weren't dressed "properly" for dinner.

Cheryl

In all honesty, I think RCCL is partially to blame for the lack of "dress code" in the dining rooms.

My husband and I generally like to be minimalists when it comes to packing and have chosen to not partake in the dining room for our last five cruises.

Each time we go to the dining room on boarding to let the Maitre'D know that we would not be utilizing our dining room table.

On several occasions we were told, "Don't worry about it, just come in with what you brought to wear."

We never have. We opted to have a casual cruise and therefore went to casual dining options.

We are signed up for MTD this upcoming cruise and will take a couple of nice outfits along in case we decide to take advantage of it, but none of them will be formal night.

I agree that formal should be formal wear. Is a nice shirt and tie with dress pants acceptable. I'm a 270 lb bodybuilder and seeing me in my sport coat is kinda funny. Whats even funnier is trying to get it on and off. I'll wear it but if their is an emergency i might not be able to move. If your going Oct 4th try not to laugh at me.

See ya the 4th

I agree that formal should be formal wear. Is a nice shirt and tie with dress pants acceptable. I'm a 270 lb bodybuilder and seeing me in my sport coat is kinda funny. Whats even funnier is trying to get it on and off. I'll wear it but if their is an emergency i might not be able to move. If your going Oct 4th try not to laugh at me.

See ya the 4th

RCCL says formal night is suit and tie, but as i've said, they don't uphold the rules.

Have fun!

Hi all,

I too am just back from the 8/23/09 sailing of the Freedom. We stood in line for over an hour for the chance to see the 2nd showing of the ice show. We tried to see the 1st showing and all the seats were taken so we got in line more than an hour before the 2nd showing so we wouldn't miss out. On the Mariner and the Voyager we had the "ticket method" and never even had to wait in line at all and we MUCH prefer that method and think they should go back to that. The show by the way was VERY good! In fact we saw almost all the shows and what we saw was really good. We LOVED the Magician show with Drew Thomas and hope he does really well in America's got talent. We also thought the comedians of the "two guys" were really funny.

I agree with those who were unhappy with the lack of dress code and "chair hogs". I waited patiently for a chair in the solarium and finally got one and then some guy comes along and leaves a book on the chair beside me and I never did see him come back and I was probably there a couple of hours. That just isn't fair! I saw some people in shorts going into the dining room and then had to listen to DH gripe because I made him change out of his. They don't have to really dress up on casual nights, even a Hawaain shirt and dockers is fine, much better than shorts and a t-shirt.

Overall we really loved the Freedom. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a really relaxing cruise, enjoyed our aft balcony every night, watching the lightening shows way off in the distance and gazing at the stars till we fell asleep. The bedding on this ship is awesome. We found it very comfortable and easy to fall asleep (the rocking of the ship certainly helps).

Does anyone know if they sell beach umbrellas on the ship to take with you on your excursions?

no

I didn't see any, but most beaches had a vendor to rent beach umbrellas.

^^^^ This. Why in the world would you want to lug around a cumbersome $40 umbrella when you can rent one for about $10?

If your going Oct 4th try not to laugh at me.

Don't worry, everyone will be laughing at me instead. Picture someone the size of a jumbo sumo wrestler with a buzz cut and in a sports coat and slacks. It's as comical looking as you can imagine.

This will be my first time on a cruise, going this Sunday 9/6 on FOS Eastern. What is the compass and map thing everybody keeps talking about? If possible, I would like one too for Eastern Caribbean.:D Hope that tropical storm falls apart, not looking good:eek: illusions217@yahoo.com Thanks!

Illusions, the compass is the daily paper that states everything that will be happening on the ship that day. It gives an hour by hour listing of what events are taking place, where, etc. I threw mine out at the end of each day, but i'm sure someone will email them to you. Post any questions and we'll try to answer them!

Cheryl

I was on the same sailing. As much as some may not want to admit it, I think formal night is dying a slow death. Cruisers are voting with their actions that they simply are not into getting dressed up on a vacation. There were many people in shorts and such, even on "The-Nights-Formerly-Known-As-Formal-Nights." I can't really say that it bothered me too much though.

I was a little surprised at the guy in jeans and sneakers in Chops however.

I'm preparing for my first cruise so I probably shouldn't even comment, but sometimes I just can't help myself. I understand the moaning about the chair hogs. It directly effects you. It takes away from the enjoyment of being poolside in the sun. Completely valid. What I can't understand is why people get so twisted up over what others are wearing in the dining room? Your meal still tastes the same, the service is the same...what difference does it make if the couple at the next table aren't wearing dresses and jackets?? It has no effect on you...no impact what so ever. In case you {no one in particular, just those that bitch} haden't noticed, society as a whole has gotten a lot less formal. I say as long as everyone is dressed, as in clothed, and not flinging food in the dining room, live and let live and don't sweat the small stuff.

Don't worry, everyone will be laughing at me instead. Picture someone the size of a jumbo sumo wrestler with a buzz cut and in a sports coat and slacks. It's as comical looking as you can imagine. "Thanks for taking the pressure off me. I hope I'm able to get my arms up to my mouth in order to eat"