Delta Airlines to begin $25 charge for 2nd checked bag

LuvTheGoodLife

Charging $25 for an additional checked luggage.
http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webisapi.dll/,/?St=76,E=0000000000015217217,K=357,Sxi=12,Case=obj(634)

Domestic Flights

Note: Flights to and from Puerto Rico follow the domestic baggage allowance.

Free Baggage Allowance

• You may bring two bags per person free of charge.
  • Each bag must NOT exceed 62 inches (157.48 Centimeters) in overall dimensions
    (length + width + height) and can NOT exceed 50 pounds (22.73 kilos).

Excess, Overweight, or Oversized Baggage

• Excess, overweight, or oversized baggage may be checked on a load
    availability basis per the guidelines below:

• Excess bags will be accepted for a fee of $50 per bag.

Overweight Bags:
    &nbsp51 - 70 pounds (31.82 kilos): $20 per bag
    &nbsp71 - 99 pounds (45 kilos): $50 per bag
    &nbspBags over 99 pounds are NOT accepted.

Oversized bags:
    &nbsp63 - 80 inches (203.2 Centimeters): $50 per bag
    &nbspBags over 80 inches are NOT accepted.

• Boxes are accepted on domestic flights including flights to/from Puerto Rico

Checking in Your Bags

• All baggage must be checked at the airport at least 30 minutes prior to flight
    departure
  • Baggage will NOT be accepted for check in more than four hours prior to a
    flight's scheduled departure time; please check ticket counter hours.
  • Please check information specific to items such as sporting equipment, firearms,
    musical instruments, etc. for guidelines on transporting them on JetBlue flights.

FYI-Delta is including International Flights in their decision to charge for the 2nd bag......

Thanks, I thought this would be the decision. Just have to learn to pack smarter...less is more...yeah right:rolleyes: . Another reason not to do formal night.

Jan

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruzegirl viewpost.gif

FYI-Delta is including International Flights in their decision to charge for the 2nd bag......

Thanks, I thought this would be the decision. Just have to learn to pack smarter...less is more...yeah right:rolleyes: . Another reason not to do formal night.

Jan

Where did you see or hear about this news? The last I heard, International flights were not participating in the second baggage charge. :confused:

Delta/International second bag charge seems to be in dispute. When the first press release was made, ALL second bags were subject to the fee, EXCEPT Elite Delta FF, first and business class pax, unaccompanied minors and military.

There has been info from Delta employees that international second bags WILL NOT be charged. But there has been NO definitive Delta announcement.

If you read the Contract of Carriage, again there are conflicts. Domestic C of C SPECIFICALLY states the second bag will incur the charge after May 1, 2008. International C of C states a MAXIMUM of 2 bags/1 carry-on + personal item. No allowance for third bag, even if you are willing to pay, which is unusual. But it also states that luggage can be limited "in Delta's sole discretion".

There truly is NO conclusive answer. My advice-plan on paying for the second bag, UNTIL Delta makes a FIRM decision about international luggage.

Thanks a lot. Yea, I told them to plan on paying, because they definetly need to check two bags in June. But for our cruise from Florida in October, I have a rolling duffel, and I plan to use that so I can have one bag.

Well, look at it this way: Are those souvenirs going to cost you as much as $25 in total? Maybe a bit more than that? Will it hurt that much to add $25 to the total cost of getting them?

If the second bag is only so that you can bring souvenirs home, see if you can get a bag that you can fold away into your first bag on the way out. That way, you'd only have to pay $25 once.

On Sunday out of New York to Charlotte (1.5p.m flight) a [assenger was stopped because her bag was too big to fit into the overhead bin, and she was very belligerent. I was suprised she was not refused passage.

I will pay the $25 and try to smile, in October I have had to fly First class in order to get the flight I wanted but will be Economy on the flight back, so assume I will be allowed 2 bags on the flight out and pay the charge on the flight back.

I love to travel but it is no longer fun, todays report in the local paper shows just how bad the industry treats its passengers. They can do this because we have such poor rail communications and because people lack the time to drive the road. When will they realise that quoting one price and treating people decently on board (pillows, meals, etc) is better for their public image than nickle and diming people to death with all these "add on"

Same applies to cruise lines , no I do not want all the wine I can drink where

ever and whenever, but charging for ice cream, or juice at lunch or telling someone they cannot have a pot of tea only a tea bag in a cup is not the way to impress clients.

Archived