Delta Airlines to begin $25 charge for 2nd checked bag

LuvTheGoodLife

as of May 1, 2008.

"Delta Air Lines announced yesterday that it will follow United Airlines and US Airways in charging passengers $25 for a second checked bag starting May 1. The move comes as US carriers are scrambling to contend with rising fuel prices and a weak domestic economy (see story above) and looking for "revenue enhancement" measures to help offset escalating expenses.

So that makes 3 airlines doing this now including United and US Air.

I would also like to know if this is domestic or international since we are flying to Venice on Delta this year. (Hi Bill - glad to see you're back).

I guess I will have to pay for the 2nd bag (as I do NOT know how to pack light).

as of May 1, 2008.

"Delta Air Lines announced yesterday that it will follow United Airlines and US Airways in charging passengers $25 for a second checked bag starting May 1. The move comes as US carriers are scrambling to contend with rising fuel prices and a weak domestic economy (see story above) and looking for "revenue enhancement" measures to help offset escalating expenses.

So that makes 3 airlines doing this now including United and US Air.

Where did you see this announcement? I just checked the Delta website and it still lists 2 checked bags.

As someone who "cannot pack just one bag" I know I will have to pay the $25 charge, but I am curious about those over large stuffed "carryone" that we have all seen brought on board (ususlly by people who boast they can travel for XXX days with only a carryon"

On a flight in Sept, one passenger had a bag so big it filled the entire overhead bin, and then some, it took two of them to lift and push and stuff it in the bin. The crew said not a word to them,very unfair to the rest of the passengers who should have been able to use the bin also.

Sunday I have two checked bags (neither weigh more than 35 lbs because I do not want to lift a 50lbs bag ), a normal store -in -the bin bag for overnight and an under seat bag, for tickets, reading book, makeup, wash kit for freshening up during layover at hub etc.

I prefer to pay the $25 not because I like paying the air line (or cruise line) but because not only is $25 less expensive than DHS or UPS or White Star service but because I could not face the stress of knowing my bags are "heavens knows where" for a week or more before I cruise.

I would also like to know if this is domestic or international since we are flying to Venice on Delta this year. (Hi Bill - glad to see you're back).

I guess I will have to pay for the 2nd bag (as I do NOT know how to pack light).

Sailaway,

If they copy United and USAirways, then the $25 charge would be for domestic flights only. There would be no extra charge for international flights.

HTH!

As someone who "cannot pack just one bag" I know I will have to pay the $25 charge, but I am curious about those over large stuffed "carryone" that we have all seen brought on board (ususlly by people who boast they can travel for XXX days with only a carryon"

On a flight in Sept, one passenger had a bag so big it filled the entire overhead bin, and then some, it took two of them to lift and push and stuff it in the bin. The crew said not a word to them,very unfair to the rest of the passengers who should have been able to use the bin also.

Sunday I have two checked bags (neither weigh more than 35 lbs because I do not want to lift a 50lbs bag ), a normal store -in -the bin bag for overnight and an under seat bag, for tickets, reading book, makeup, wash kit for freshening up during layover at hub etc.

I prefer to pay the $25 not because I like paying the air line (or cruise line) but because not only is $25 less expensive than DHS or UPS or White Star service but because I could not face the stress of knowing my bags are "heavens knows where" for a week or more before I cruise.

Sadly, Oversized carry-on's are on every flight. This is one of those things that no one seems to enforce mainly because there isn't enough room below to store a bunch of carry-ons on a full flight.

If it fits through the x-ray machine, they let it on the plane.

I am shocked that delta and the other airlines haven't considered installing a pay toilet on the planes lol

Exactly....Fifty cents to enter please! lol.... But I also heard they were going to charge you to unclip your seat belt but wouldn't tell you until you were clipped in!!!! Just kidding but I swear it's going to get to that.

It just keeps amazing me. The gas prices, food prices, airfare prices..... Everything going up but yet my pay, isn't..... And Bush doesn't think we're in a recession... Give me a break......lol.

AA is going to start charging for a second piece of luggage. This will hurt my family family in the future as it is hard to travel for a cruise with just one bag each. We travel with one one suticase each, then a wardrobe bag and a smaller bag. In the future, we will each travel with one large suitcase, one maximum sized and one wardrobe bag.

I really hope that Delta doesn't try to stick the baggage charge to those who paid for tickets prior to the announcement. I don't even know if that is legal.

AA is going to start charging for a second piece of luggage. This will hurt my family family in the future as it is hard to travel for a cruise with just one bag each. We travel with one one suticase each, then a wardrobe bag and a smaller bag. In the future, we will each travel with one large suitcase, one maximum sized and one wardrobe bag.

I really hope that Delta doesn't try to stick the baggage charge to those who paid for tickets prior to the announcement. I don't even know if that is legal.

Lovely!!!!!!!!! Well I will have to add that extra fee into my airfare budget..... Ridiculous......:(

However, I did check the website. That is not posted there yet. Hopefully, it's mis-information.

AA will be charging extra for luggage soon. Here is a link to it in USAtoday:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/sky/2008/03/bag-fee.html

That leaves Continental as the only legacy carrier still not planning on charging for an extra piece of luggage.

Also, if you go Delta and look up luggage in the "Contract of Carriage", you'll see that a only 1 piece of checked luggage is allowed. Go to p. 32 of the contract.

I sent an email to Delta asking if everyone, including those who paid for their tickets before the announcement will have to pay the extra $25 per bag and they said "yes". I think this is wrong! When shopping for flights, I picked Delta instead of United because since Delta allowed two bags, flying with them would be cheaper. United was cheaper, but if I factored in the luggage fee, would have been a little bit more. For Delta to change terms in their contract of carriage is bait and switch.I'll contact someone at the FAA or FTC about this.

Here's part of the email response that I got:

" New charges may be applied to all passengers whose travel begins on or

after 05/01.

- New charges may be applied to all passengers who started travel before

05/01 also.

-These new fees are effective immediately and are applicable to all

passengers regardless of when the reservations were booked or ticketed."

Archived