Looking for Info on Cape Liberty

cascargirl

We're looking at a cruise leaving on Feb 22 2009, and were curious about hotels in the area. Anything anyone can recommend? Are most hotels in Jersey close to the port?

I live near Cape Liberty and I can tell you that there is so much to do! If you really want to make a vacation out of it, arrive a few days early and visit NYC! You can get from midtown to Bayonne in about 15 min. (not during rush hour). A great hotel I'd reccomend in the city is the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers...if you dont want to stay in NYC post back...I know a couple names of some great hotels in Bayonne:)

We're looking at a cruise leaving on Feb 22 2009, and were curious about hotels in the area. Anything anyone can recommend? Are most hotels in Jersey close to the port?

Totally unrelated.........but are you thinking of Explorer of the seas? That is the ship we booked for that date.

I am not sure but isn't there a hotel at the Newark Airport? Someone might know, I believe it isn't too far from Port either.

Totally unrelated.........but are you thinking of Explorer of the seas? That is the ship we booked for that date.

I am not sure but isn't there a hotel at the Newark Airport? Someone might know, I believe it isn't too far from Port either.

I believe the hotel you're referring to at the Newark Airport would be the Newark Airport International Marriot hotel. It's about a 20 minute drive or so to the port and it's definitley a fine place to stay.

It sure is. We're looking at the 12 day, which is substantially longer than any that we have been on before. We've got the reservation on hold and just finalizing answers to these questions first. :)

Some of them offer the cruise & stay packages, you just have to call and find out which ones. I know for sure the Best Western offers it. :)

Do you remember how much it was and for how many nights of parking the car there? do they have rates from 7-14 nights parking?

The Newark 'Airport' hotels are close to Bayonne, tho' Elizabeth, NJ is also an option and cab fare from there is similar to the airport hotels...:)

Jersey City is handier for NYC, but cab fare is high to and from the hotel to the pier, and from the airport!... :p Jersey City was my first choice.. Most hotels in Jersey City DO NOT offer FREE airport shuttles..

If you are not going into NYC, any hotel in Elizabeth or AT the EWR airport are OK, tho' few (at the moment) are offering pier shuttles... :(

I'm sure this will change as cruising from Bayonne turns into 'big business'... Best Western at EWR, which currently offers shuttles both ways, as well as FREE parking, has been deemed a 'DUMP' by most...

Do you remember how much it was and for how many nights of parking the car there? do they have rates from 7-14 nights parking?

Here is the webpage for the Stay & Cruise package:

http://www.bwnewark.com/specials.html

My aunt & uncle stayed there last October before our Explorer cruise, and she said it wasn't great but wasn't horrible either. Basically that it was suitable for a night's sleep, and breakfast before the cruise. And leaving their car there for the duration was very convenient also. Ours was a 9-night cruise. HTH :)

Here is the webpage for the Stay & Cruise package:

http://www.bwnewark.com/specials.html

My aunt & uncle stayed there last October before our Explorer cruise, and she said it wasn't great but wasn't horrible either. Basically that it was suitable for a night's sleep, and breakfast before the cruise. And leaving their car there for the duration was very convenient also. Ours was a 9-night cruise. HTH :)

Christie,

We will be driving to pier since we live close by. Could you tell me how much parking will be for us? (12night) Wondering if it is pricey if there are other parking services available near by? Last year we parked in NYC for a 12 nighter and it was $180 for a monthly pass.

Christie,

We will be driving to pier since we live close by. Could you tell me how much parking will be for us? (12night) Wondering if it is pricey if there are other parking services available near by? Last year we parked in NYC for a 12 nighter and it was $180 for a monthly pass.

Hi Sheils!

Like Zachsmom said, it's $15 per day. Here is their website for any further details:

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/

I have not heard of any parking areas close by at all. I think the next best thing, since you live close by, is even if you could find someone & pay them to drop you off & pick you up, it could be cheaper than to drive yourself and park! Even if you paid them $100, it would be $80 less than leaving your car there. I would do it if I lived closer! :) lol

• 3 months later...

Kornerkick, we return to Bayonne port on Oct. 30, 2008, and will have all day before our flights out of Newark at about 6 pm. Now allowing for getting to the airport by about 4 pm, what is there to see and do in and around Jersey City or Newark for 7 or 8 hours? There are 5 of us, 2 are not up to a lot of walking.

Thanks!

Beth

One of the CC members has put up a web site for Bayonne. When I find it I will post it if she doesn't do that before me.

Parking is $16.00 at Cape Liberty.

Park & Fly(cruise) - Best Western has gotten poor reviews. There are other suggestions on the web site, so be patient. I've stayed at the Sheraton Newark airport and would highly recommend it. However, you would have to pay for a cab to and from Cape Liberty. This is one of the closest hotels to the port.

Just remember that Newark is a tough city. You should be picky when you are selecting a hotel that is off the airport property.

What to do post cruise that is not much walking? I might consider renting a car that will hold all of you and your luggage from Enterprise in Bayonne - I think they will bring the car to the pier. Then drive to the Liberty State park in Jersey City (1 turnpike exit) and take the boat to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. Arrange to drop off the car at the airport. In order to do this comfortably, I would try to self-disembark if I could.

[FONT=Century Gothic]I was trying to find a cheaper way out of paying $180 for parking at the port. Don't get me wrong I am in no way a cheapskate but always looking for the best bang for my buck. $180 isn't unreasonable, just thinking I could extend vacation by a day for the same price....;) [/font]

I was quoted from Best Western $155 for 1 nights stay and 10 days parking (+ tax) and shuttle service to pier ........since we will need parking for 13 days it is $11 per day extra plus tax......which works out to be about the same for parking for the week if we leave the day of the cruise.

I called the Marriott (preferred stay)....they wanted $219 for stay and park but shuttle to pier was an additional charge. She didn't know how much because they subcontracted to a transportation company.

Didn't know if anyone had any other suggestions?

[FONT=Century Gothic]I was trying to find a cheaper way out of paying $180 for parking at the port. Don't get me wrong I am in no way a cheapskate but always looking for the best bang for my buck. $180 isn't unreasonable, just thinking I could extend vacation by a day for the same price....;) [/font]

I was quoted from Best Western $155 for 1 nights stay and 10 days parking (+ tax) and shuttle service to pier ........since we will need parking for 13 days it is $11 per day extra plus tax......which works out to be about the same for parking for the week if we leave the day of the cruise.

I called the Marriott (preferred stay)....they wanted $219 for stay and park but shuttle to pier was an additional charge. She didn't know how much because they subcontracted to a transportation company.

Didn't know if anyone had any other suggestions?

The Best Western is the WORST hotel in the neighborhood. Even my over the road truck drivers have refused to stay there-the knocks on the door at midnight are NOT room service and the guys in the street are not the valet parking service.

HI!! You can click on the link below for my blog...

sheila, your font color is really hard to read......what marriot property??

cab fare from the EWR/Elizabeth area hotels is about 40-50 bucks......(sometimes the hotel calls a cab and a car service shows up.....) with the higher cost of gas, some cab fares may be higher.....

HTH....feel free to email me if you want....

megtravels at yahoo dot com --just put CC or something in the subject.

the Best Western is the WORST....i agree with greatam....if she can't get her truck drivers to sleep there....i believe she once said they would rather sleep in the truck!

Sheils65 -

Are you coming from Westfield MA? That's only about 3 hours from Bayonne and an easy 3 hours early on a Sunday morning. I can't see coming down the day before unless there is a winter weather event in which case you can book a Newark airport hotel last minute and still get a good price.

If you want to extend your trip, why not plan to drive into NY on the Friday you return, pay to park, spend the day, and drive home that evening?

For us there were huge advantages to parking at the pier. I dropped off my elderly mom with all her stuff (walker, oxygen, oxygen concentrator,etc) and got her an attendant and a wheel chair. The parking was right there - paid my money and walked back to the tent area. Total time - 1 hour including a 1/2 hour wait because they weren't yet boarding. On the way back once our color was called it was 1/2 hour to get off the ship, find our luggage, and get everything wheeled directly to the car.

:D Yes, I agree that it is hassle free to park at the pier. We did that in NY last year and it was a breeze.

I think that maybe this time we will have someone bring us back and forth. They have relatives in NJ so that will give them a chance to visit.

It is still a long ways out so I am just going over all the possibilities in my head. :rolleyes:

Just back off the Explorer myself within the last 2 weeks. It was with megr's help here that steered me to Elizabeth. I'd read reviews on Best Western which sounded like not a place I'd want to stay travelling with two 17 y/o girls. There are 4 motels in the area (Courtyard Marriott, Extended Stay, Country Inn and Suites and Residence Inn) all in the same close vicinity. I chose Country Inn and Suites. I had read multiple conflicting reviews (including that it was in a very unsafe area) so here's my two cents for what its worth. We flew from DC to Newark and called for motel pickup so had no car to worry about.

They have a fly and cruise package and I know they'll call a cab for you (they did us) and then I believe I heard them say they give you a voucher to get a cab for your return back so may be an option there.

Now for specifics - Unsafe - not in any way I could tell. I'm not sure what constitutes unsafe in people's minds but I never felt one bit unsafe and I was travelling with two 17 y/o nieces who were not my children which meant I was looking for something safer than if I were only looking for myself. I saw multiple security personnel outside patrolling and especially the gated area where your cars stay if you are leaving them for longer periods.

The motel itself was clean and I had read complaints about the front desk staff being rude. When we arrived there were male desk clerks who I found to be very helpful and friendly. When we checked back in after our cruise to stay another night on that end, there was an all female staff who I wouldn't say were unfriendly just not as accommodating or as friendly as the week before. The room was about like what one would find in a Holiday Inn and I was pleased overall with it. The free breakfast was mostly cereals, toast, bagels, waffles, coffee and juice which was fine for what we needed. ALmost on the same grounds there is a Ruby Tuesday and a diner which we ate both nights.

Oh and one other thing - there is a large mall across the street. They have a shuttle if you can't or don't wish to walk that will drop you off and you can call and they'll pick you up when you are ready. We walked both ways, no problem.

I live near Cape Liberty and I can tell you that there is so much to do! If you really want to make a vacation out of it, arrive a few days early and visit NYC! You can get from midtown to Bayonne in about 15 min. (not during rush hour). A great hotel I'd reccomend in the city is the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers...if you dont want to stay in NYC post back...I know a couple names of some great hotels in Bayonne:)

You wrote You can get from midtown to Bayonne in about 15 min. (not during rush hour). Is that by mass transit? If so, how?

We are in NY upstate. The last time we cruised out of NY, we were on NCL so went out of NY. We just took the bus, and because it was a nice day walked from the Port Authority to the docks. It beat the hassle of driving in the city and was actually cheaper than parking + gasoline would have been.

Can we do this for the port in Bayonne? I just do not like driving in NY. (I realize it's not city driving and did drive to the Newark airport last year for a flight to a cruise embarking from Copenhagen, but we would prefer not to drive.)

BTW, we are considering the Explorer of the Seas.

ontheweb - look at Meg's web site - Click here for my Cape Liberty Info blog:http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com/

You can get near the port by public transportation, but at some point you will have to take a cab onto the pier. 15 minutes to Bayonne is not realistic unless you start at the Holland Tunnel in a car.

If you are coming in by bus, then look at the bus schedule to Bayonne. You would go to 30 something street in Bayonne and call a cab.

You could also take the 8th Avenue subway to the World Trade Center. From there you would take Path. At Exchange Place (one stop) you can change to the Hudson Bergen Light Rail and go to 30 something street in Bayonne and call a cab. You can also go to Journal Square in Jersey City and call a cab. These routes would probably involve toting your luggage up or down stairs at some point. WTC will be a luggage friendly station. However, I'm sure some stairs would be required to get into the 8th avenue subway and to change to the light rail.

I've heard that RC might have a shuttle service from the light rail to the port, but I've not seen anyone post a confirmation of that.

If the Bayonne bus schedule works, then that could be a viable alternative to get you close to the port for less dollars. Perhaps kornerkick2 can comment on cabs in Bayonne and if you can prearrange something.

From a dollar standpoint the problem is that as soon as you go from NY to NJ in a cab, all bets are off. It is not a regulated fare, so they will charge top $$$.

Archived