Books on the Canal

QuitMyDayJob

I know there are several really good threads on here that talk about the best book or books on the building of the Panama Canal, but the search function is down and I'm hoping those of you out there wouldn't mind letting me know what they are. (How's that for a run-on sentence!)

Thanks in advance.

Jane

I am reading "The Path Between the Seas" now and I am enjoying it thoroughly! It is amazing where the idea for the canal came from!!

If you read the book, when you get to the point who and when the author describes FIRST mentioned a Panama Canal, you will come close to dropping the book, just like I did!!

Becareful Boiler Cruiser, that's a heavy book:D. Another book I would like to toss out for consideration is "Panama Fever" by Mathew Parker. I have not read it yet, only quickly thumbed through it. A friend of mine just bought it at Barnes & Noble here in Florida. It is a fairly new book on the Canal, looks like it is fairly detailed.

• 4 weeks later...
Also the one that I have is a good overview of all ports and the canal,Its called "Panama Canal by cruise ship". I'm carry it on the ship for my upcoming cruise in a week!!

I agree, if it's the same book by Ann Vipond. She has done books on caribbean Alaska and Hawaii. I have them all and have used them. I love the fact that all the pages are high gloss and there excellent value for the money.

I just picked up her panama book for our 2010 cruise. It will make for good reading on Jan cruise.

• 2 months later...
Becareful Boiler Cruiser, that's a heavy book:D. Another book I would like to toss out for consideration is "Panama Fever" by Mathew Parker. I have not read it yet, only quickly thumbed through it. A friend of mine just bought it at Barnes & Noble here in Florida. It is a fairly new book on the Canal, looks like it is fairly detailed.

I've only just become aware of the new book (published in 2007) when Civil Engineering magazine recently published a review; they gave it a favorable review. I've always considered Path Between The Seas to be the definitive work on the planning, politics and construction of the canal, but will certainly want to take a look at Panama Fever before my next Canal trip - none planned at the moment, but would like to try the Pacific-to-Atlantic transit, my previous two having been from the Atlantic side.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to chime in, I finished "Path Between the Seas". What a great book! I thought I might find it difficult to plow through alot of technical details, but I found it totally fascinating. After the first 50 pages or so, I knew more about the Panama Canal than I've ever known in my entire life. So glad I read it.

I'm now reading "Panama Fever" and I just ordered a DVD from the History channel about the Panama canal. When I go through the canal in December, I want to be well informed; I think it will make it even more interesting. Thanks for all the tips!

Jane

• 1 month later...

Yes I'm in for the Ann Vipond book, even if some of the comments come over a little funny for my Brit tastes, but it covers a lot of ground as an introductory read. Certainly a good place to start and it seems reasonably well carried in the US as I saw it in several B&N shops on a recent visit over there.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - for those who have an interest in the Panama Canal and live in Florida, there is an excellent museum devoted to the Panama Canal in Seminole, part of the St. Pete/Tampa area. I was fortunate to visit it about a month ago and found it fascinating. This museum has a special emphasis on the Zonians, those who were born or spent time in the canal zone when it was under US control.

There are many books on the Panama Canal - this link from the Panama Canal Museum shows some of them: http://www.panamacanalmuseum.org/store/catalog/index.php?cPath=24_27

Also worth your time is a 60-minute film featuring David McCullough called A Man, A Plan, A Canal, Panama http://www.amazon.com/NOVA-Man-Plan-Canal-Panama/dp/B0002F6AJ8

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread idea and great responses.

I will check out the library for The Path Between the Seas and probably purchase the Panama Canal by Cruise Ship. The series of xxxx by Cruise Ship are great and very useful during the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just purchased, and received today, a near perfect copy of the book "The Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough for $1.99 on Amazon.com. Total was less than six dollars with shipping. :)

We cruise the Panama Canal in November 2009!!!

I received the hard cover today. Its a beautiful book. I ordered the hard cover as a birthday gift for my husband, but I would think they are both the same.

I got the "Panama by cruise ship" for me:D

I also put "panama canal" in the search on my net flix account and a few documentary's came up so I look forward to those also. Thank you everyone for the recommendations.

:D

I have been listening to the audio version of the book on my iPod while doing my morning "get into shape for the cruise" walk. It's a great account of all the details that preceeded and during the construction of the canal. I might try to round up a used copy of the book to keep on hand for reference and any photos and maps that might be of help in understanding the story.

I am on Chapter four of THE PATH BEWEEN THE SEAS. It is full of facts and figures and makes reference to people and places I don't recognize.

I usually read fiction, but I am finding this fascinating--even though I know I am not absorbing all of it!

There are two maps in the book, but I also find myself frequently referring to my atlas.

I am sure I will have a deeper appreciation of the canal as we travel through it.

Gale

I ended up buying a used copy of the book at Amazon for $1 and the shipping brought it up to $4.00. Not bad for a $34 book! This was to supplement the audiobook that I purchased and listened to and it was the right thing to do. There is a lot more information including the maps and photos that make the history more meaningful.

The story of the making of the Canal is truly amazing.

• 2 months later...

Archived