Traveling with a Family of 5

Gecko7

All comes down to cost. You will save a few hundred if you all share 1 cabin.

How old are the kids?

The only ships that you can occupy 5 to a room are destiny, triumph, victory, Fantacy Class ships, Holiday, and Celebration.

Only 4 to a cabin on is allows on the other ships.

Best of luck. :)

Lucky for you, Carnival has the largest standard rooms. On the Ecstacy,

Standard Oceanview cabins are 190 square ft. and inside cabins are 185 square ft.

This cabin size is pretty standard on all Carnival ships.

Check out this thread for more insite to 5 in a cabin:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=723318

Our first cruise, we booked an OV with the kids across the hall in and inside room to cut on cost. The basic cabin is big enough for 4 and for the 5th they roll in a cot, I hear that they put it up so you can move around the cabin, but we have never done this, spent a couple of hundred more for the seperate rooms. You can also do two insides, which wud be less then the out/in.

I dont know if they allow 5 in the suites, but those rooms are bigger, but I think it wud be less to get two rooms then a suite. If you are going to put 5 in the room, I recommend an OV so that it wont feel so closed in and the window gives you a little more room/shelf.

I am looking to book a cruise for the family. Since we are a total of 5 how should be go? Two cabins or 1 larger cabin?

Thanks,

Gecko7:confused:

We travel with 5, but our kids are all older teens. We always get 2 cabins.

Kid are 14, 10 and 7. We are looking at the Ecstasy, which is a Fantasy class ship. What rooms are large enough?

Gecko7:)

Go with 2 next to each other or connecting - we've done it twice now with kids and plan to do it again in June - my kids are 15,12 and 11 and it has worked really well. That way you get some privacy and 2 bathrooms and more space.

Check out this thread for more insite to 5 in a cabin:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=723318

Venture

Great thread. It alomost matched my concern exactly. Does the Ecstasy have adjoining rooms? Knowing my daughters and DW, 5 in a cabin will not work for us.:D

Gecko7:confused:

Kid are 14, 10 and 7. We are looking at the Ecstasy, which is a Fantasy class ship. What rooms are large enough?

Ecstasy does allow 5 to a cabin, but unfortunately the cabins are smaller in the OV size than the newer ships like the Conquest which has 220 s.f. but dont allow 5 to a cabin.

I think 5 in the size cabin on Esctasy would be awfully "cozy" and Ecstasy donest have balconys, you would have to get a suite to get a larger cabin, cat 11 or 12.

We had 2 of us in a OV and thought that was tight enough, or maybe Im spoiled.

Go with 2 next to each other or connecting - we've done it twice now with kids and plan to do it again in June - my kids are 15,12 and 11 and it has worked really well. That way you get some privacy and 2 bathrooms and more space.

I could be wrong, but I think I read Ecstasy dont have connecting cabins.

tough decision if so.

5th cruise with the kids coming up, always 2 rooms, only once they were not connecting rooms. 2 bathrooms is the key in the morning and getting ready for dinner. Connecting rooms are the best as it gives you the room. he extra cost is just the difference between 1st, 2nd passenger fare and 3rd, 4th passenger fare which sometimes is not much at all.

It is fun living with the family of 5 in a world built for families of 4.

I'm with you! It means new vehicle - new kitchen table - waiting longer at restaurants for a larger table to open up, etc.

My kids are 13, 14, and 7 and we went with two side by side rooms - both interior, Panorama deck on the Liberty on May 31st. Truly - I think with even two kids on a cruise - we would consider doing the two room thing at their ages. We like a little privacy ;)

We're going on our first cruise, and following our usual policy of 2 hotel rooms when we travel, we are doing a suite (cat 12) and interior across the hall. the price difference between 5 in a room and 2 rooms wasn't worth the hassle of tripping over each other and sharing only 1 bathroom. Kids are 18, 15, and 8. We'll prob. have 8 yo in our suite on the sofa bed, but booked 3 in the interior room as a cost savings, and 2 in the suite. Plus it gives us somewhere to hang out when making our plans or whatever without crowding ourselves.

I'm with you! It means new vehicle - new kitchen table - waiting longer at restaurants for a larger table to open up, etc.
No kidding. We are going with friends (two other rooms), so we put one of the kids in their room. We have 9, 5 and 2. One of them will probably sleep with us. We really could manage having 5 in the cabin (esp at those ages), but likely the middle and first child will WANT to sleep in the other cabins. Fine by us. :D

If you are wondering how many can comfortable fit in a standard cabin, then check out this short video (see link below). I'm sure it will provide some valuable guidance ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psa9BZ3qgzg

We took our girls on the Triumph this past summer (Had an absolute BLAST!) and opted to do 2 cabins. Hubby and I had a balcony room and the girls were in the interior right across from us. Their ages at the time were 20, 17 and 12. The purser set us up with a key for their room, so we could access them at any time. This worked out wonderfully for us.

Archived