The perfect excursion bag?

Nora4sure

I bought this bag for my upcoming Med cruise and really like it. It isn't the most fashionable, but it will serve its purpose and the price was right. I bought it in black. I was going to bring my Vera Bradley bag, but I thought it may be too easy to cut the cloth straps. I also looked at the PacSafe purse and considered buying one of those.

http://www.ebags.com/ebags/piazza_day_bag/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=94553

I looked at the same bag JinxyB - but I needed something a bit larger. I'll have two boys with me and I know I'm gonna be carrying all sorts of maps and things...so I needed the room. The Pacsafe looks good, but I'm going to be holding my things close...I always do. ;)

I have a bag from Timbuk2, the Metro Messenger, that I bought for my trip to Italy last year. It was perfect. Wide enough strap to be slash-resistant, big flap with the buckle. I could put my wallet, camera, some water, sunglass case in it easily. The strap was wide enough that I could also strap my camera on it if I was going to do some serious snapping. They have a wide variety of bag sizes and colors/patterns to choose from: http://www.timbuk2.com. You can also design your own bag on the website.

Also, my friend bought a Keen Bright Light bag. For the person who asked about one with a foldover magnetic closure, this one would be for you! It has a wide strap, too. AND, it has a "kitchen light"!! There is a light that comes on in the bag when you open it. A really cool idea. That bag was a little too big for me - I'm a medium bag person.

They do. Matter of fact, I got a fossil one like the white bag only it's yellow. I tried to find a picture of the messenger looking bag but couldn't find it on their website. I got this one because I will also be carrying my beach bag and didn't think I needed anything too big and I figured with all the colors in it, it should match anything I wear. This will be big enough to carry my money, shades case, contact solution. This bag is actually just for port because I don't plan on using it on the ship itself. Hey, I just went and compared my bag to the size of the white bag. The white bag is 9 1/2 L X 11 H X 2 1/4 D and my bag is 10 X 2.5 X 11.5. I know it doesn't look big but it's a decent size and extremely sturdy.

Thank you!

If you'll have family (kids) with you, don't bring too big of a bag, or you will end up being the "pack mule" for the whole family! (Did that once at Disney--never again!) Now, the rule is, if you can't carry it all day, then don't bring it! Mom's not carrying anything except HER stuff!!!!!!

Even preschool children can begin to learn how to carry thier own "stuff". There are cute kiddie-size backpacks that are quite convenient for them. I started mine early on (of course I had to follow-up closely at first, but rather than pick up the bag for them I would just remind them to get their bag). Once they were kindergartners, they were "old pros' at carrying thier own "stuff'"and enjoyed the autonomy. Everyone was responssible for his her carry-on bag (Of course DH and I kept their travel docuements, etc in ours until they were older.)

I have a small leather crossbody bag that use for traveling.

For most excursions though (Beach, sightseeing, or shopping) I still like the old standby canvas tote with outside pocket (For bottled water) and and inside zipper pocket (for card, money, etc). and straps long enough that DH or I can carry it as a shoulder bag. I can put the crossbody body purse inside it if I wish (For beach excusions I do not bring the purse) and it can also carry small purchases, guidebooks, etc.

I like it for it's versatility - I usually carry it on and off, but if not, it folds easilly into the suitcase.

Hi, I found a new bag at TJ MAXX made by LeSportsac.

I bet quite a few of you have seen this brand. The one I got

was reduced to 24.00:)

It is a coffee colored bag that will work great for me.

It is about 9 inches north/south and 12 inches east/west with a good

size deep center pocket (zips across the top) has a zipper pocket

outside...(front AND back). It is a good nylon/poly material with

an adjustable strap and it works wonderfully cross body and is

very lightweight. Big enough for a paperback and all my other

essentials for the flight:)

For any of you interested, Dillards carries this brand.

Here is a link to their website and they have some fun and funky

patterns too:D

Some of the bags are more than I normally pay so that

is why I look at the discount stores.

But it will give you a great idea of what they sell!

http://www.lesportsac.com/

Then I must be the pickiest woman in the world. A small excursion bag is one thing, but a handbag/tote for Europe is another. I have had a dickens of a time trying to find one. I finally ordered this one from eBags...but as picky as I am...I have no faith that I will like it. :rolleyes:

http://www.ebags.com/ebags/kalya_town_square/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=57682

If you are still looking, we found a great one yesterday. http://www.rei.com/product/735779

It is great for Europe -- durible and slashproof so you don't have to worry about someone cutting it on a crowded subway. Also, has great pockets. Fits just what you need for a day (book, waterbottle, camera, map) and fairly lightweight. Best of all, it is very "unisex", so can trade off carrying it all day :)

You might also check out this:

http://www.rei.com/product/735777

Similar to the one you got, but with the security features. I decided it was a bit too big, but if you want to be able to carry a family's worth of stuff, it is a great size.

Good luck!!

Not OT because it's pertains to excurison bags, but where do you gals put your beach towels when out on excursions.

I want to hit the beach at Cozumel after a little shopping. Need a place to store my towel or do you gals not take a towel ????

Help!

If you are still looking, we found a great one yesterday. http://www.rei.com/product/735779

It is great for Europe -- durible and slashproof so you don't have to worry about someone cutting it on a crowded subway. Also, has great pockets. Fits just what you need for a day (book, waterbottle, camera, map) and fairly lightweight. Best of all, it is very "unisex", so can trade off carrying it all day :)

You might also check out this:

http://www.rei.com/product/735777

Similar to the one you got, but with the security features. I decided it was a bit too big, but if you want to be able to carry a family's worth of stuff, it is a great size.

Good luck!!

Wow, I forgot about this bag. I was reading about it when I first starting bag hunting. I may have to get this. Hmmm, decisions, decisions!

Not OT because it's pertains to excurison bags, but where do you gals put your beach towels when out on excursions.

I want to hit the beach at Cozumel after a little shopping. Need a place to store my towel or do you gals not take a towel ????

Help!

Aside from the messenger bag, I'll actually have my beach bag. Some people use bookbags. The messenger bag will be more secure for carrying more personal items like cash and ship card. I have a big beach bag that I'll be carrying items like my beach towel, flipflops (unless I get aqua shoes), and souveniers.

Help!

Hi,:) not sure about other cruiselines, but Celebrity has a bag

in each stateroom and I normally use it for beachy type excursions.

Its large enough to hold a towel, change of clothes, sunscreen,

book, etc...etc.

Many folks bring a beach bag from home and use it for those

times too.

Oh, if I go to the beach I always bring a towel:)

Sass, I carry my beach towel in my DH's back back. I tried taking a beach bag...too much to carry around. I found that my little cross body sling is the best way to carry most of what I need. The man carries the rest. Unless of course I'm trvling wtih mom...then I'm carrying it!!!

Thanks ladies! Michael Kors has this CUTE beach bag that I ordered today. I'll be taking that and whichever little excursion bag I choose...having such a hard time choosing/finding the right bag. Gah!

Thanks for answering my question ladies!!! :D

My TA just gave me the nicest lightweight canvas Princess tote bag for my birthday, but I don't know where she got it (and, I thought it would be rude to ask). I could even put my laptop in it. I'm going to use it for my shore bag, as it will pack flat in my suitcase.

Archived