Macchu Piccu with Cruise-???

teacherman

Does anyone have experience with doing a trip to Macchu Picchu in conjunction with a cruise? (not Galapagos). If so, how did it go (luggage, altitude sickness, worth the cost, etc). It also seems that all of the "mainline" cruises do this during what is mentioned as the "rainy season" for MP. Is this a good way to do it, or would it be better to just spend time doing Peru and MP by itself? Also, if you have done it, is it better to do it before the cruise or after? Any advice/info is welcome. Thank you.

We went to Machu Picchu & Cusco as part of an OAT tour to Peru & Bolivia. We had three nights in Cusco and one in Machu Picchu. We loved it. We were in Machu Picchu around the first of May and the weather was great.

We have done Manchu Picchu twice in conjunction with two cruises. The first time, we did it as an excursion from the ship in the middle of a cruise. We flew from Lima to Cusco, two nights in Cusco, back to Lima and drove down the coast to meet the ship in Pisco.(2002)

The second time, we did it pre-cruise. Two nights in Lima (the first one is "short" as a lot of flights from US arrive in Lima at midnight), one night in Manchu Picchu (Sanctuary Lodge just outside the ruins), two nights in Cusco, then boarding the ship in Lima. (2008)

We enjoyed both trips. If you have the time, the pre-cruise trip was much nicer but more expensive.

Altitude - since we live in Denver, we have never had much problem with the altitude. Although walking in Cusco, you can certainly feel the 11,000+ feet! Manchu Picchu is lower, 9000 feet, but that is still higher than a lot of folks live. The second time we went to Manchu Picchu first and I think that helped a lot of our fellow guests.

Lugguage - First time - we just took an small overnight for each of us from the ship.

Luggage - second time - We had to restrict luggage size from Lima to Cusco because of the train trip involved so we left our "ship" luggage in Lima. The tour company took care of getting it from the hotel to the ship and everything was in our cabin when we arrived.

Whichever way you do it, don't miss Manchu Picchu...or Cusco..both incredible sites.

If I can answer any more questions, just ask.

I travel to Chile and Peru four times per year for business. I also go to Cusco most of those trips. Have been to MP too many times to count. Have done MP before a cruise and after a cruise. I have been there during the November/March time frame (cruise season) quite a few times. You will have no problems-it may rain, but usually goes away in a day.

I would go before the cruise-this CAN be a strenuous trip-you can veg out on the cruise. But that is just my personal preference-I ALWAYS do land sightseeing before a cruise no matter where in the world.

Easy to book everything yourself. MUCH cheaper. Dec. 2006-Infinity lost the port pod and had to reduce sailing speed. About 200 EXTRA people (other than the VERY expensive X shore excursion) got off the ship in Lima, as they realized they were only an hour from MP and could see something they might not otherwise see. I helped as much as I could, pointing people to the train, hotels and restaurants. Quite a few have emailed and stated how much they enjoyed their trip-which was VERY unexpected. Those on the ship excursion paid in excess of $1800.00pp. Most who left the ship in Lima paid about $800 for the same trip, including change fees to change their return airline tickets from Santiago to Lima.

AMS (altitude sickness) is a VERY real possibility if you live in a "normal" altitude. I have gotten AMS-not pretty, not fun and can really ruin your trip. Once you have it, you are much more susceptible to it. So when I arrive Cusco, I run (well, fast walk anyway) to the back of the airport parking lot. There are little stalls there and I get a couple of cups of coca tea and a bag of coca leaves. By drinking the tea every couple of hours for the first couple of days and chewing the leaves if I feel AMS coming on, I have been able to stave off another AMS attack.

You can leave excess luggage at the Lima airport. $3.00 per day per piece.

I personally recommend 4 days. First day, fly to Cusco and really veg out. Very slow walking if you are not used to the altitude, NOT climbing on and off tour buses. Day 2-either day tour to the Sacred Valley and Pisac market or if you want to overnight IN MP, the 6:00AM train. You absolutely MUST take the zig-zag out of Cusco-the trip "over the hill" is too Americanized. Day 3, either the day trip to MP OR if you are already in MP, maybe an early return to the Sacred Valley for sightseeing. Day 4-fly out of Cusco.

The earlier the flights into and out of Cusco, the better chance you have of making your flights. The fog/atmospheric conditions sometimes prevents arriving/leaving Cusco and you end up back in Lima or in Cusco for the night-plan your time wisely. Enjoy Cusco/MP. One of my two favorite places in the world.

• 2 weeks later...
I travel to Chile and Peru four times per year for business. I also go to Cusco most of those trips. Have been to MP too many times to count. Have done MP before a cruise and after a cruise. I have been there during the November/March time frame (cruise season) quite a few times. You will have no problems-it may rain, but usually goes away in a day.

I would go before the cruise-this CAN be a strenuous trip-you can veg out on the cruise. But that is just my personal preference-I ALWAYS do land sightseeing before a cruise no matter where in the world.

Easy to book everything yourself. MUCH cheaper. Dec. 2006-Infinity lost the port pod and had to reduce sailing speed. About 200 EXTRA people (other than the VERY expensive X shore excursion) got off the ship in Lima, as they realized they were only an hour from MP and could see something they might not otherwise see. I helped as much as I could, pointing people to the train, hotels and restaurants. Quite a few have emailed and stated how much they enjoyed their trip-which was VERY unexpected. Those on the ship excursion paid in excess of $1800.00pp. Most who left the ship in Lima paid about $800 for the same trip, including change fees to change their return airline tickets from Santiago to Lima.

AMS (altitude sickness) is a VERY real possibility if you live in a "normal" altitude. I have gotten AMS-not pretty, not fun and can really ruin your trip. Once you have it, you are much more susceptible to it. So when I arrive Cusco, I run (well, fast walk anyway) to the back of the airport parking lot. There are little stalls there and I get a couple of cups of coca tea and a bag of coca leaves. By drinking the tea every couple of hours for the first couple of days and chewing the leaves if I feel AMS coming on, I have been able to stave off another AMS attack.

You can leave excess luggage at the Lima airport. $3.00 per day per piece.

I personally recommend 4 days. First day, fly to Cusco and really veg out. Very slow walking if you are not used to the altitude, NOT climbing on and off tour buses. Day 2-either day tour to the Sacred Valley and Pisac market or if you want to overnight IN MP, the 6:00AM train. You absolutely MUST take the zig-zag out of Cusco-the trip "over the hill" is too Americanized. Day 3, either the day trip to MP OR if you are already in MP, maybe an early return to the Sacred Valley for sightseeing. Day 4-fly out of Cusco.

The earlier the flights into and out of Cusco, the better chance you have of making your flights. The fog/atmospheric conditions sometimes prevents arriving/leaving Cusco and you end up back in Lima or in Cusco for the night-plan your time wisely. Enjoy Cusco/MP. One of my two favorite places in the world.

Hello greatam........ We are John,Laura and our four year daughter Gaby,from Seattle,Wa. We are booked on the March 30 2009 Star Princess,18 day sailing, Santiago to San Francisco,we had first thought about a pre cruise stay in Santiago,now we are looking at a pre cruise Manchu Picchu tour,looked on line did not find much, we have turned it over to our T.A for some numbers,we are not fans of Princess's Adventures Ashore way over priced,Can you please share your thoughts with us on booking this as a pre cruise tour, tour group, web site ect. Thanks

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

Hello greatam........ We are John,Laura and our four year daughter Gaby,from Seattle,Wa. We are booked on the March 30 2009 Star Princess,18 day sailing, Santiago to San Francisco,we had first thought about a pre cruise stay in Santiago,now we are looking at a pre cruise Manchu Picchu tour,looked on line did not find much, we have turned it over to our T.A for some numbers,we are not fans of Princess's Adventures Ashore way over priced,Can you please share your thoughts with us on booking this as a pre cruise tour, tour group, web site ect. Thanks

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

1. Plane tickets from SEA to Lima, Peru. Check to find out if you can book SEA/SCL (Santiago) with a stop off in Lima. Planes from the US generally arrive in Lima LATE (like around midnight). Planes to Cusco start flying about 6:00AM. You can stay in the airport OR go to a hotel and spend a day in Lima BEFORE you go to Cusco. There really is NOT enough time between a late arriving US flight and the early Cusco flights to get to a hotel and return to the airport the same day. You want to be on a flight to Cusco BEFORE 9:00AM. Anything after 9:00 is MORE likely to have to weather delays. Weather can get VERY tricky in Cusco for landing a plane. The earlier the flight, the better chance you have of getting to Cusco in one day.

2. SEPARATE ticket from Lima to Cusco and return. Don't muck up your USA reservation trying to add in Cusco-it usually jacks the price up a lot. Just buy a separate ticket-EASILY booked on the LAN website.

3. As I stated in the previous post, altitude sickness is a REAL possibility, so PLEASE take it VERY easy for a day or two.

4. One thing that I REALLY like to do-book my own train tickets to Machu Pichu and go to the train ticket office to get them. VERY Peruvian. Lots of people sitting around-don't know what they are doing. But the place is always packed and they sure don't seem to be selling THAT many tickets. You want the Vistadome train. $71.00pp each way-1/2 price for kids. Don't bother with the Hiram Bingham train unless you have loads of extra money. The HB train leaves from Poroy (over the hill from Cusco-you are bussed there). You MISS one of the BEST parts of train ride-the zig zag out of Cusco. It is really fun going in reverse in a train. It is necessary to do this about 4 times, as the hill leaving Cusco is VERY steep and the train needs to get up a head of steam to make it over.

Here is the Peru-Rail link

http://www.orient-express.com/web/tp...r_a2a_home.jsp

5. Hotels, hotels. A lot depends on what your comfort level is and how much you want to spend.

My FAVORITE hotel has a view to die for. However, it is 105 steps up the hill from the street to my favorite room. But if climbing steps is not a hassle for you and you are not looking for FANCY, check out Casa de Campo.

http://www.hotelcasadecampo.com/

When you look at the picture, the room I ALWAYS request is the one at the left with all the glass. In that glass room is a fireplace. Very peaceful sitting there with the lights out, fire burning, looking out over Cusco.

If steps aren't your thing-here is a list of hotels. This agency is REALLY good for booking. They also have train tickets and tours to MP, but I don't think you need either one-you really CAN do this yourself.

http://www.peru-hotels.com/cuzco.htm

I have stayed at the Torre Dorada, Casa Andina Plaza, Libradator (too Americanized for my tastes), Sonesta Posada, and the Monasterio (which is a BIG splurge money wise). Of those, the Casa Andina and Sonesta are Peruvian owned and operated and are very nice. IF you get cold, MAKE sure your hotel has central heat. Torre Dorada and Casa de Campo DO NOT. It has only been in the last year that Cusco has gotten natural gas. It was VERY expensive to heat with electricity. So you had to RENT a little heater-like those radiator things they sell at WalMart. NOT the best way to stay warm, ESPECIALLY if you have ANY symptoms of AMS.

6. First day-arrive Cusco-take my advice about the coca tea. RELAX and go slow unless you are used to the altitude (11,000 feet). Maybe dinner at Norton's Rat Tavern on the South side of the Plaza de Armas. Good old fashioned USA hamburgers (they also have lots of other things). Run by an old time hippied biker who ended up in Cusco years ago. Nice little balcony to watch all the going's on in the Plaza. Pick up your train tickets.

http://www.nortonrats.com/index.html

Second day (no overnight in MP)

Tour to Pisac, Chincheros and ruins in the Sacred Valley

The BEST tour, IMHO, is sold out of the travel agency/tour office UPSTAIRS on the North side of Plaza de Armas, towards the end of the block EAST of the Inka Grill. Tour should be about $20-25.00 WITHOUT lunch ($12.00 for a VERY good buffet in Urubamba). There will be LOTS of kids trying to sell you tours. Buy from a reputable agency. And while you are buying your tour tickets, buy a GOOD guidebook for MP (if you haven't already bought one)

Third day-Up VERY early-train leaves at 6:00AM. You DO NOT need a tour guide unless you just want one. I find it MUCH easier to just wander around, guide book in hand and EXPLORE things I want to see, NOT what the tour guid wants you to see. The resident llamas live in the middle of the ruins-I find it VERY peaceful to just sit and watch them. The tours don't allow you the time. And if you REALLY see something you would like more info about, just stand at the back of one of many tours and listen.

Fourth Day-Return to Lima.

Hotels in Cusco are VERY good about arranging taxis everywhere. They are cheap. BE CAREFUL just hailing a cab off the street. There are a lot of coked up "gypsy" drivers who INSIST you go to THEIR hotel/THEIR tour. Best to allow your hotel to arrange transport to/from train station, etc. etc.

I'm sure I left some things out. But as you can see, this is a pretty well rounded trip. Hotels should run about $300.00 (for 2), train RT is $142.00pp, Sacred Valley tour-$25.00, plane fare RT from Lima-about $350.00pp.

So for WELL under $900.00pp (except plane fare from the US), everything included except shopping, you can have a VERY nice trip to MP.

Hope this answered some of the questions. Please feel free to ask questions.

Greatam, you made my day! MP has been on my top five list for well over 15 years. Stuff happens....I'm hoping to go next year. I'm bookmarking this page but maybe I can email you with a few questions? You can email me at "story DOT n AT gmail DOT com". Thanks.

Greatam,

great advice, as usual. Only one question - isn't February the very rainy season in MP? Would you recommend going at a different time? (OK - two questions)

Thanks,

M

It is "rainier". However, I have been there every month from November-March (my normal business season in South America). March is a little less rainy, as is November. But not enough that I can tell a huge difference (or maybe I am just lucky). December has a lot of fog, as the seasons change, so flying into Cusco presents more of a problem during early December. The temperature is pretty steady year round in Cusco (hence-no heat and no AC for the residents). Cusco has average rainfall of about 36 inches. That is less than quite a bit of the USA-Midwest and East Coast specifically.

Weather is weather-allow an extra day or two if you are really concerned. 80% of my trips have had bright, sunny days. Cool at night, not hot in the daytime (but the sun is merciless). Makes it feel a lot hotter than it really is. Enjoy!!!

Greatam, you made my day! MP has been on my top five list for well over 15 years. Stuff happens....I'm hoping to go next year. I'm bookmarking this page but maybe I can email you with a few questions? You can email me at "story DOT n AT gmail DOT com". Thanks.

Here's my email--greatam at earthlink dot net.

greatam.......Thank you for your reply,lots of good information,we are really going to plan things out and take a look at this,our hesitation would be for our four year old daughter,she is learning to be quite the little traveler for her age,the altitude would be a big concern,what are your thoughts if any.

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

greatam.......Thank you for your reply,lots of good information,we are really going to plan things out and take a look at this,our hesitation would be for our four year old daughter,she is learning to be quite the little traveler for her age,the altitude would be a big concern,what are your thoughts if any.

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

Actually, your daughter will probably handle the altitude better than adults do, IF you can keep her from running around too much on the first day. If you are really worried about the altitude, you can fly in to Cusco and IMMEDIATELY go to the Sacred Valley (taxi will cost about $30.00). It is about 2500 feet lower there. You would miss the zig zag out of Cusco on the train if you went to MP from the Sacred Valley. But you may have an easier time with the altitude. Enjoy!!!!

• 1 year later...
So, the three day two night shore excursion including flight from Lima, etc. is about $1,800? We are planning on HAL in 2011.

The ship excursions are just about double the price per person as doing it on your own. And the chance of getting AMS (altitude sickness) is much greater on these short, quickie tours. Leave Lima, day 1. Arrive Cusco and then they send you to a hotel to "acclimate" for a couple of hours. Unless you are a marathon runner, a high altitude climber or live above 5000 feet (Denver, some places in Idaho, Montana, CA, AZ and the mountains of Oregon/Washington), the chances of a "normal" person acclimating in a couple of hours are slim and none. After your "acclimation period", the cruise ship tours load everyone on a bus and take them out to see the sights of Cusco. LOTS of climbing if you really want to explore the ruins. A VERY good way to get AMS-not acclimated, climbing in the ruins and rushing around trying to see everything in a day.

Day 2-take the train to MP and return.

Day 3-fly back to Lima to rejoin the ship.

IMHO, you are FAR better off taking a few days before or after your cruise and plan your own trip. If you REALLY want to do it in the middle of your cruise, then plan it yourself, fly from Lima and rejoin the ship in Guyaquil, Salaverry (Trujillo), Costa Rica or Panama depending on the routing of your cruise. Good luck and enjoy!!!

PS-I am curious-how does the HAL ship go from Florida to the West coast of South America and only do a "partial" transit of the Canal. The "partial" transit was posted on two or three cruise websites when I was looking to see what schedule you had. Someone should proofread better or rewrite the brochure!!!

So, the three day two night shore excursion including flight from Lima, etc. is about $1,800? We are planning on HAL in 2011.

We did the MP trip after our cruise on the NCL Sun in November 2009. Fly into Cusco from Santiago on a Monday, took it easy that day. Spent Tuesday sightseeing in and around Cusco, Wed. train to MP, returning that evening. Flew out of Cusco on Thursday

If we had it to do over, would have spend a few more days in Cusco. There is a lot to see on side trips. Then would have taken the train in morning to MP, stay overnight in town and take train back next afternoon.

The people we talked to who did the trip off the ship felt very rushed, plus a lot more expensive than doing it on your own. It was really very easy to arrange the trip doing it ourselves.

The cruise we were interested in is a round trip Ft. lauderdale. It does a full transit of the canal, twice. So, going before or after is out of the question for this itinerary. We like it because we don't have to fly at all.

My friends has asthma, and that is really my big concern as I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize her health.

The cruise we were interested in is a round trip Ft. lauderdale. It does a full transit of the canal, twice. So, going before or after is out of the question for this itinerary. We like it because we don't have to fly at all.

My friends has asthma, and that is really my big concern as I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize her health.

Ship arrives May 1 in Lima. So get off the ship and follow this itineray: STAY in Lima the first day-you will really need to be on a plane to Cusco BEFORE 10AM-there is a 50% chance you cannot make it to Cusco if you fly after 10AM-weather conditions are very changeable at the Cusco airport when it starts warming up every day-fog and clouds.

May 2-fly to Cusco early-do VERY little.

May 3-either take an overnight trip to MP (May 3-4) or take the day trip to MP .

IF you take the day trip to MP, you can take the trip to the Sacred Valley and Pisac market on May 4 (they are only open on Tuesday/Thursdays/some Sundays).

If it was my trip, I would spend May 2 and 3rd in Cusco, resting/relaxing/seeing the sights and exploring. May 4, I would take a day trip to the Sacred Valley/Pisac market. May 5, I would go to MP for the day. May 6, I would fly from Cusco to Lima to Guayaquil, Ecuador (TACA flight leaves about 7AM, arrives Guayaquil about 1PM-plenty of time to reboard the ship).

Sure, you miss a couple of days of your cruise. BUT you don't have near as much chance of having an AMS episode (especially with your friend with asthma) AND you really get to experience the area. PLUS you have already been down the West coast of South America. You REALLY haven't missed much other than Manta Ecuador (not much to see-it is VERY close to Guayaquil and the SAME stuff is offered)

Does anyone have experience with doing a trip to Macchu Picchu in conjunction with a cruise? (not Galapagos). If so, how did it go (luggage, altitude sickness, worth the cost, etc). It also seems that all of the "mainline" cruises do this during what is mentioned as the "rainy season" for MP. Is this a good way to do it, or would it be better to just spend time doing Peru and MP by itself? Also, if you have done it, is it better to do it before the cruise or after? Any advice/info is welcome. Thank you.

Hey Don, We are off Sunday for the antarctic and then will end up in Valpariso for the ships post tour to Machu Picchu..sounds like it will be a fast trip..will try to remember to email u with details when we get back..

We are also concerned with our luggage, ( yea all the same4 pieces) but I can't get any answers from the powers..

Hey Don, We are off Sunday for the antarctic and then will end up in Valpariso for the ships post tour to Machu Picchu..sounds like it will be a fast trip..will try to remember to email u with details when we get back..

We are also concerned with our luggage, ( yea all the same4 pieces) but I can't get any answers from the powers..

I assume you have been reading the posts about MP. Not sure when you will be able to get there. Maybe check with your travel provider.

I assume you have been reading the posts about MP. Not sure when you will be able to get there. Maybe check with your travel provider.

called Princess and the lady thought I was crasy, she knew nothing of any problems in Machu picchu:confused:.. see today that Machu picchu will prob be closed for 7 weeks..Princess prob will not tell anyone the tour is cancelled untill the day we are to go.. thats not good for us.

We have been to all the ports before and we booked specifically for the post tour. So if it will be cancelled we need to know now. We leave for Argentina tomorrow for the antarctic cruise.

Don't count on this, but today's Cusco's newspaper had a line about MAYBE starting some helicopter service for tourists to MP. There has always been a lot of opposition to that for environmental reasons, but the loss of income will be so great that there might be some temporary service down the line. It will also be very limited because of capacity - a few passengers vs a train load.

By the way, the helicopters used by the Peruvian army to evacuate tourists could carry 20 passengers. The ones loaned by the US Embassy could carry only 5. A few commercial helicopters were also used, but they were too on the small side. That was the main reason why it took three days to evacuate 2000+ persons.

Again, there is no damage to the ruins or Sanctuary lodge. Also no damage to tourists sites in and around Cusco.

called Princess and the lady thought I was crasy, she knew nothing of any problems in Machu picchu:confused:.. see today that Machu picchu will prob be closed for 7 weeks..Princess prob will not tell anyone the tour is cancelled untill the day we are to go.. thats not good for us.

We have been to all the ports before and we booked specifically for the post tour. So if it will be cancelled we need to know now. We leave for Argentina tomorrow for the antarctic cruise.

The chances of getting to MP within the next 2 weeks will be slim. I am currently in Cusco-landed about 5 hours ago. There is little destruction right in town. Evidently, "over the hill" going down towards the Urubamba river, there are places of complete destruction. I may see some of that tomorrow on my way to Pisac. The rail is open and running to Puno, so that is definitely an option for a trip.

I saw a lot of washed out areas high in the hills (we drove up through San Blas so I could get an overview). The road is open to Pisac from Cusco. The road is temporarily closed to other than locals from Pisac to Ollay which lies directly along the Urubamba river (and pretty well parallels the train tracks).

According to my driver/friend/translator/purchasing agent who I have known for 7 years, there is a p**** contest going on between the Peruvian government and Orient Express, who owns the MP portion of the rail line. The government wants OE to put up quite a bit of the repair money or get governments OTHER than Peru involved to help fund the repairs. But OE says they just own and manage the train, NOT the tracks, so it should be up to Peru Rail/Peruvian government to repair it. VERY typical Peruvian.

Solana (my driver) states that companies/the government have been picking up everyone who wants to work at 6AM to make repairs. There is VERY LITTLE heavy equipment in the area, so most of the repair work will be done by hand. This is the way all major repairs are done in the area-by hand. The Peruvians work very hard at manual labor and are faster sometimes than we Americans with all our dozers/trac hoes/back hoes (plus government intervention, inspections, meeting after meeting and structural engineers). I actually witnessed a road washout around Sacsayhuaman on the way to Pisac in 2006 about 8AM. When I returned from Pisac about 4PM, all fixed. I was totally amazed.

I will be out and about tomorrow (today is acclimation day-drinking coca tea and laying around my hotel). I sure wouldn't count on getting to MP within the next 10 days-2 weeks. MAYBE if it doesn't rain much anymore, they will be able to get the tracks fixed beyond "the end of the road". Then you will get a bus trip from Cusco past Ollay to board the train.

Archived