On Formal Nites, How Dressed Up Do You Get?

ck93

I love getting dressed up, so I take full advantage of formal nights. For our upcoming cruise, I'm wearing a floor length gown for the 1st night and a beautiful beaded cocktail length dress the 2nd. DF (DH by then!) will either bring his dark suit or perhaps keep the rented tux for the wedding an extra week.

Just curious to what I may see on formal nites!:D

If you would like to see pictures along with the suggestions given here, there is a long thread in the Cruise Fashions & Beauty forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=627140

There are probably some other threads with pictures too. I love looking at pictures, it gets me excited to get all fancy when we go! :)

Just curious to what I may see on formal nites!:D

Full length formal gown for me, with all the appropriate accessories. My son always wears a black suit and tie, but the next cruise he will wear a tux. One of the reasons we enjoy cruising is the formal dining. :)

I always wear a full length gown or fancy cocktail dress on formal nights, my DH a suit or tux. For the other nights, I wear a "date" dress--not formal, but something my DH enjoys seeing me in.

We have very little opportunity to get dressed up, and so take full advantage. I have a great department store locally, where I can always find a great deal on something---recently paid $17 for a cocktail dress my DH loves. Can't beat that!

My DH bought a very nice tux when we started cruising every year; he wears it with either a pleated tux shirt/bow tie, white dress shirt/ gold/black tie or black dress shirt and black tie. I wear formal gowns.

Kathy:)

My wife and I enjoy dressing up pretty much every night. Formal nights I wear either a dress uniform or my tux, and she wears formal gowns. We stay in formal wear for the whole evening as well, we don't change out as soon as dinner is done.

Here we were just last week in the new avatar picture above. Then below, EBQ had just given me an off-white dinner jacket at Christmas. So, with 2 formal nights, that's 2 outfits each. The third picture below is her on Majesty last summer. Although both our jobs require us to dress up several days a week, we love the cruise ship formal nights.

2368747500039822749S200x200Q85.jpg 2424337760039822749S200x200Q85.jpg 2025854050039822749S200x200Q85.jpg

My wife and I enjoy dressing up pretty much every night. Formal nights I wear either a dress uniform or my tux, and she wears formal gowns. We stay in formal wear for the whole evening as well, we don't change out as soon as dinner is done.

Pretty much the same here too only I've been able to do it on the cheap which is even more fun.

For our second cruise my aunt had given me a pretty party dress with a really foofy bottom. She had gotten it on the clearance rack for $10 somewhere because there was a huge rip in it on the seam which I was able to repair easily. For our next cruise I found a beautiful gown at a thrift store so I wore than. For our upcoming cruise I have a gown that I wore to a formal party with my dad last year so I'll wear that this year. The only time I didn't really dress up for formal night was our first cruise which was our honeymoon. We were very young and very broke and I didn't even think of dressing up. I wore a very plain red dress that I used to wear to work and black pumps and that was fine. For the second formal night of our last cruise I just wore a pair of nice dress pants and a dressy top and that was fine too.

Formal night is actually harder for my DH as he's got to lug heavy shoes and jackets and things so I always leave it up to him whether he wants to do formal night.

I work at home so most days I don't even get dressed or shower until lunchtime and I'm almost always in jeans when I do get dressed. So for me it's kind of nice to dress up on formal night and swish around in my gown and get all the pictures taken. It's the closest thing I'll ever get to attending the Academy Awards so I have fun with it and like to stay dressed up all night as well.

Before I retired had to wear a suit or sport coat with tie all the time. Now that I am retired only wear a suit and tie to funerals and weddings. However my wife and I do like to dress on the formal nites aboard ship. So it is tux for me and evening gown for her. Kinda nice to be elegant once in awhile.

We do the Jacket, slacks and tie. Dress or dress pants with really nice top. Never feel odd or uncomfortable. :)

We don't own tuxes or gowns and I can't see spending the money to only wear them maybe once a year. [plus this saves $ for another cruise. :D]

Good thinking.

I did buy a tux on ebay (former rental) for about $60 when you toll up all the extras. I've probably added another $25 to the total over the last couple of years. Bought it for my sons' weddings and they do so work now.;)

Wife got two beautiful, almost new (they looked new) formal gowns at a local Salvation Army Store for a total of $26. We keep checking back for more as we found these quite by accident while looking for kids toys, but we don't go there enough to trip on a deal like this again. But, I'm sure they keep showing up when we don't go.:rolleyes:

So, we go formal and dressed to the tails. It feels so special. Of course we're out of them and dancing before the night is over with.:D

Here's a picture of our group on a formal night on Mariner last June.

friends

Most men wear suits, and you'll see some wearing a tux. Some women wear gowns (our daughter and her friend wore their prom dresses), most wear nice dresses. My husband and I don't wear tux/gown, but we never felt out of place.

We always dress up on formal night. I own my tux and cruising is about the only place we go where I can wear it. Not many places or occasions out here in West Texas (in a town of 1900) for formal wear. :D I wear my tux and change accesories if it's a longer cruise. Ma wears beautiful dresses! :D

Now, we did do a cruise on Enchantment a few years ago and ate in the Windjammer every evening and had a wonderful cruise! It can work both ways.

Archived