On Formal Nites, How Dressed Up Do You Get?

ck93

I normally wear a tux that I rent through the cruiseline, even renting the shoes last January....I hate to pack jackets, shoes, etc.

I have worn Sport Coats with shirt & tie and also felt right at home. Probably what I will do for our upcoming Majesty trip as I just don't feel like paying the fees for a tux for one night.

I believe you will be in good company if you choose a suitcoat or a tux as you will see a goodly number of each and everyone still looks great.

Just no dress denim bibs....you will be out of place with that. Had to laugh as apparently Rancher Dave observed just such a sight on his recent cruise. :D

This is what we wore one of our formal nights. I usually wear a long gown, but you will see a variety. I tend to dress more for the captains gala formal night than the 2nd one. I have worn a knee length dress before too....similar to what you'd wear to a wedding.

194914089_May13Freedomofthesea2014.jpg.aee9af2525c9f23c3562080e0c5084fe.jpg

Its really uo to you - you need to be pretty grubby to really be out of place. Also, formality tends to increase witrh length of cruise.

Men: a few with jacket only, tie only, or neither. Then many with jacket and tie, suits. Some with tux - might go from 10% on a short cruise, to 30-40% on a 14 day.

Women: about equal numbers of pant suits, cocktail dresses, evening gowns.

Tuxedo. Wife convinced me to buy one about 4-5 years ago. Wear it maybe once a year at home, but we enjoy dressing up for a nice dinner and photos on a cruise. Nice to feel like James bond, lol. May in the future consider moving down to a suit.

My wife and I enjoy getting dressed up for formal nights. We both have to wear professional attire at work in our respective courts, so upping the ante on formal nights is fun for us. I bring a tux and my wife brings formal dresses (not the bridesmaid type ;)) That is just us though. We don't mind how other people dress, as it is their vacation too.

Formal wear on formal nights works for us and we enjoy it. One of my favorite cruise moments is being out on the deck, dressed in a tux, next to my beautiful wife, enjoying the reflections of the moon on the water together. For me, life doesn't get much better than that.

Eric

If we are cruising for a week or longer, we always dress up for both formal nights...fancy dress for me, either a tix or black suit for DH...the works.

However, on short cruises of 3 or 4 days, we never dress up. For a weekend cruise, we usually just carry on our loggage, and eat at the Windjammer on formal night. Not worth carrying all of the bulkier clothes on a weekend trip.

We do the Jacket, slacks and tie. Dress or dress pants with really nice top. Never feel odd or uncomfortable. :)

We don't own tuxes or gowns and I can't see spending the money to only wear them maybe once a year. [plus this saves $ for another cruise. :D]

My favorite topic :D

DH always wears a tuxedo and changes up the accessories. I always wear a gown. If there are 3 or more formal nights like on our last cruise, I wore a formal pants suit one night- beaded and all! It was New years Eve. Having said that, you will be fine in a dark suit and cocktail dress as well.

pomperaugrr; we also like 'upping the ante', not to mention it is fun to have a growing collection of formal wear for more cruises!

Tuxedo for me and gorgeous dress for her! Believe me you feel great. Saw loads of people not making ANY effort on the 12 nighter out of Bayonne in Feb and yes I know its your cruise and you will dress how you like etc etc, but they are the ones who look out of place. Dress up, get your photo taken and enjoy it, after all, when else can you wear a tux?????

My favorite topic :D

DH always wears a tuxedo and changes up the accessories. I always wear a gown. If there are 3 or more formal nights like on our last cruise, I wore a formal pants suit one night- beaded and all! It was New years Eve. Having said that, you will be fine in a dark suit and cocktail dress as well.

pomperaugrr; we also like 'upping the ante', not to mention it is fun to have a growing collection of formal wear for more cruises!

I'm also happy that I can still fit into the tux I got married in over ten years ago. ;) I bring a vest and tie combo for one formal night and traditional cumberbund and bow tie for the other. It works for us. We enjoy the formal photos too. The one we took this past January was special for us, since it was the first formal portrait we have as a family with our recently adopted daughters. They loved getting all dressed up for formal night.

Eric

Like other have posted, it really depends on the length of the cruise for me. I love getting all dressed up in my Tux for formal nights on a longer cruise, but for the 3 or 4 nighters, a nice pair of pants, dress shirt and a tie is just fine.

I'm also happy that I can still fit into the tux I got married in over ten years ago. ;) I bring a vest and tie combo for one formal night and traditional cumberbund and bow tie for the other. It works for us. We enjoy the formal photos too. The one we took this past January was special for us, since it was the first formal portrait we have as a family with our recently adopted daughters. They loved getting all dressed up for formal night.

Eric

OH!!!! That is SO exciting!! Okay, so just how many of those portraits did you purchase?? hehe! You cant get better than that for a Special occasion, Congrats!

DH does the same with the vest one night/ cumberbund the other, there were alot of formal nights on our last cruise, IT WAS GREAT and we love to ALL match! :eek: :D Talk about planning lol

DH wears dark suit with dress shirt and tie (although he grumbles a lot about it!).. I wear long skirt or evening pants with sparkly or other very dressy top, strappy high heels, evening bag, etc..

I bought a black suit that I wear, and my wife normally wears an evening gown or cocktail type dress.

We bought our son (15) a black suit as well, and our daughter (11) just wore skirts with fancy tops.

On our next cruise, I thnk my son and I will just rent tuxedos since my son is now 18 and has definitely outgrown the suit he had, and I think the suit I purchased must have shrunk (ahem, cough, cough).:eek:

DH wears dark suit or tux. I usually wear long dress or silk pants suit. However, this cruise I will bring my "ball gown" just because I don't have to worry about airline luggage weight; we'll be driving to the pier!

DS (6 years old) will wear dress shirt and pants with tie.

When I cruised with my husband he always wore a dark suit & tie & I would wear a long gown or skirt & dressy top. Now that I cruise with family/friends dressing up doesn't have quite the same attraction. Uusally a dressy pantsuit or something similar..for my upcoming cruise we are skipping the dining room & going to Portofino on formal night...

Archived