Did HAL change the dress code???

Roboat

In looking at the HAL website, I see that the dress code is less formal than I had thought.

My reading is that the minimum "HAL-approved" dress code, for men, is as follows:

Formal - jacket and tie

Informal - jacket (tie optional)

And, BTW, there is no mention of any restrictions on wearing shorts in the dining room for breakfast and lunch, but you're not supposed to wear them even in the Lido in the evening - though with my knees, I think I'll pass. :eek:

Here's the source:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/guests/category.do?category=packing&topic=dressCode

Is this a recent revision? I had thought that business suit or tux was the only "HAL-approved" dress for formal nights, and that informal nights still required a tie.

any lowering of the dress code is welcome to me. but my wife wondered about its genesis.

never having sailed HAL, i suspected that the typical (conservative) HAL patron had been dressing themselves within the boundaries given. even the men. :rolleyes: thus, a little loosening up was in order.

or maybe they were dressing too formally all the time. who knows.

Well, here's my observation from the Zaandam. Last night was a Formal Night, and the men required to have on at least a jacket and tie ... one fellow within my hearing was asked to leave and put on a jacket and tie because he had come to dinner in just slacks and a button-down sports shirt. Most men were in either a tuxedo or a dark business suit ... looking very formal. A few were in slacks, sports coat, white shirt and tie. The "suggested attire" is a tuxedo or a dark suit; the required minimum is, and has been since at least 1999, a jacket and tie.

Those are my observations from the Zaandam, last night. :)

never having sailed HAL, i suspected that the typical (conservative) HAL patron had been dressing themselves within the boundaries given. even the men. :rolleyes: thus, a little loosening up was in order.......

:confused: :confused: :confused: Why? If the typical HAL patron had been dressing themselves within the boundaries given, even the men, as you say, then WHY was a little loosening up in order? Apparently the vast majority were happy with the way things were, as there was no groundswell demanding a change.

Well, here's my observation from the Zaandam. Last night was a Formal Night, and the men required to have on at least a jacket and tie ... one fellow within my hearing was asked to leave and put on a jacket and tie because he had come to dinner in just slacks and a button-down sports shirt. Most men were in either a tuxedo or a dark business suit ... looking very formal. A few were in slacks, sports coat, white shirt and tie. The "suggested attire" is a tuxedo or a dark suit; the required minimum is, and has been since at least 1999, a jacket and tie.

Those are my observations from the Zaandam, last night. :)

Hey Thanks, revneal! I'm surpised that HAL is enforcing the rule, based on comments on the board. (Maybe because it's not a Caribbean cruise?) But I kind of like that they are. Not that I'm crazy about dressing up, but if I gotta do it, it's nice to see that everyone else must too. Actually, I really don't mind wearing a tie at all, and will probably wear a business suit on formal nights, since my brother will be in a tux. And I LOVE to see all the ladies decked out! Lotsa bling-bling! :D

Rev. Greg Neal says a coat and tie have been required since at least 1999. I have been sailing on HAL since November 1996 and suit coat and tie were the minimum required for men at that time and I am sure a long time before.

For the life of me, I do not understand while people would not want to dress up. I know a priest who does Chaplaincies and on formal nights he dresses in a nice white shirt with french cuffs and the black rabbie and suit coat. It is the ONLY time other than 4th degree K of C affairs that he wears a white shirt with French cuffs.

Himself

In looking at the HAL website, I see that the dress code is less formal than I had thought.

My reading is that the minimum "HAL-approved" dress code, for men, is as follows:

Formal - jacket and tie

Informal - jacket (tie optional)

Roboat, just to be on the safe side I thought it wise to point out that even though HAL only mentions wearing a jacket and tie, they also would prefer you put some form of attire on your lower half;) .

Just a word of caution so you're not embarrassed in the dining room:D .

Roboat, just to be on the safe side I thought it wise to point out that even though HAL only mentions wearing a jacket and tie, they also would prefer you put some form of attire on your lower half;) .

LOL Heather - You've been out in the sun too long!!!

;)

Heather, thanks for the heads up! Nice to have someone looking out for me. I'm off to search the dresser for my sequined Speedo ( :eek: !!) , toe-socks and Vans! :cool:

You crack me way up. LOLLLLLLL

I went shopping today to buy a jacket for our 14yo son who will be cruising with us this Saturday.

I can't find ANYTHING that will fit him. He's about a 36R. What are young men supposed to do?

We don't have time to drive all over the area looking for a jacket for him. He has a nice shirt and tie, and if hogtied will wear a sweater, but only in the winter and if it's really cold.

Are teenagers expected to follow the formal dress code? Can he get by with a white shirt and tie?

I hesitate to purchase formal wear for a growing teenager.:confused:

Having just returned from a simply wonderful 12 nights on the Westerdam (Rome - Lisbon). The breakdown was due to be:-

3 x Formal,

3 x Informal and

6 x Casual nights.

What actually emerged was

3 x Formal,

1 x Informal and

8 x Casual.

This is the first time we have encountered such a low number of Informal Nights.

By no means a problem - and the Westerdam was sheer perfection.

KBC

I will try to remember how to tie a tie! As a real estate agent that lives on a lake & sells lake homes, I dress for work in Hawaiian shirts, shorts & boat mocs much of the year. Our upcoming cruise will be the first time I have to wear a jacket or tie (or tie one) since our last cruise... I will break down, however & work within "the rules".

Jackets & ties just don't work when you are showing lakefront homes from a pontoon!

This isn't ancient history, but quoting from Volendam's Daily program for Friday, November 10, 2000:

Tonight's Fress Formal:

Cocktail dresses for the ladies, and tuxedos or business suits suggested for men (jacket and tie required). We respectfully ask that our guests complement their fellow passengers by observing the dress code throughout the evening.

Thursday, November 9, 2000:

Tonight's Dress Informal:

For Ladies, dresses or blouses and slacks are suggested. For men, jackets required, ties optional.

From today's HAL web site:

On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns and men usually wear business suits or tuxedos. There are approximately two formal nights per week. (Gentlemen: Although business suits or tuxedos are suggested attire for formal evenings, they are certainly not required. You are welcome to wear a jacket and tie on formal nights.)

Jacket and tie welcome could be interpreted differently from jacket and tie required. However, semantics aside, if I were invited to a formal dinner at the local country club with the "welcome" dress code wording, I'd certainly wear jacket and tie minimum. Wouldn't you? Remember, if the DW is unhappy, you're unhappy.:mad:

:cool:

:confused: :confused: :confused: Why? If the typical HAL patron had been dressing themselves within the boundaries given, even the men, as you say, then WHY was a little loosening up in order? Apparently the vast majority were happy with the way things were, as there was no groundswell demanding a change.
well...in Celebrity I think that they overdo the dress code, making it too conservative. the one Celebrity ship i was on, half the cruisers didn't follow the code precisely.

with HAL, possibly they needlessly overstated the code. possibly the cruisers were good at following the rules. so they decided to state what they originally intended in the rules.

just a thought. what do i know? i'm a newbie.

Archived