HELP!!! Celebrity or Princess to Hawaii?????

wizard-of-roz

I know this is the Celebrity boards and I love Celebrity. We have a choice of either a 14 day on the Golden Princess to Hawaii or a 15 day on Celebrity Mercury to Hawaii.

One leaves out of San Diego the other out of L.A. L.A. is a 1/2 drive and San Diego is 2 1/2 hours.

The price difference is not enough to sway one way or the other. We have bigger perks on Princess (more frequented), our cabin would be a mini-suite rather than an oceanview.

Which ship would you choose and why!

I want YOUR view.......

I've been on golden 3 times this yr -- going on mercury 4/27 14 night to alaska 4th time

while both ships are nice I would go for the golden--way better pools, bigger ship, more to do when you have all those sea days--and I like personal choice dining, mini over ov :eek: GP all the way!!!!:D

Rob

We have chosen Mercury over Golden for Hawaii in November. We are avid Princess fans, but chose Mercury for a change. We are celebrating special anniversaries, so Celebrity is a little more upscale. The Belgian waffles are the greatest! But we LOVE Princess too. Both are older ships, both great cruise lines...either way you will love it. If you choose Golden, know that the mini suites have uncovered balconies. Caribe Deck is the best deck.....much bigger balconies and half covered/half open! Enjoy!

For me it would be a tough call. I have sailed on Golden (and her sister Grand) twice each. They are my least favorite Princess ships of the entire fleet. I don't care for the way they are laid out and they always seemed over-crowded to me.

We have sailed on Mercury twice (have not been on Galaxy) and love the ship. The C-class ships (sailed on Century twice, too) are among our favorite for size, amenities, layout and crew.

However, you mention mini-suite (I don't think much of the mini-suites on the Golden....just oversized standard rooms) versus oceanview. For me, the big difference would be balcony vs no balcony. If you were comparing the Golden mini-suite to a Galaxy standard balcony, I'd take Galaxy in a heartbeat. But if you do not have a balcony on Galaxy, I'd probably take the mini-suite on Golden. If I'm sailing to Hawaii, we'd want a balcony.

Now, give me the mini-suites on the Sun class ships! That's an awesome cabin!!!

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.

I would take the Golden. The entertainment and events will be better and with so many days a sea, it's important.

Your cruise director will be David Cole. I sailed with him on the Century in 2002 and again on the Caribbean Princess 2006. He was great on the Century, even better on the the Caribbean. Princess gives their CDs more freedom and Dave takes advantage of it. He continues to offer new games and events. When something doesn't take off, he devises something new. He does what he can to keep things fresh.

The upgraded cabin is a plus as is the shorter drive. Princess in making a comitment to Hawaii where as X is running Mercury there in between runs through Panama Canal. Princess has a program set up toward the Hawaiian culture.

For us Celebrity and Princess are two favorite lines..

We loved Century/Mercury, but cruise on Caribbean Princess (sister to Golden) was the best!

I would probably pick Golden (minisuite!!!)

Well as much as I like the Mercury and X and the extra day of the cruise, I would find it pretty hard to give up a mini-suite for a OV. We did that cruise on the Diamond Princess over Christmas & New Years this year and it was great; it is just to bad they are reducing it to 14 days this season and are dropping Kona.

I think in an 'apples to apples' comparison, I would go with Celebrity. I know the op's decision has been made, and I'm late to the discussion, but we recently had a suite (PH) on Grand Princess, and a RS on Constellation.

In my opinnion, Celebrity wins when the accomodations are more similar in nature.

JMO.

It depends what is most important to you.

I have sailed Princess 3x and used to think highly of Princess. However, my last experience was on Sapphire and I wasn't blown away. The ship was very compartmentalized and the pool area wasn't one of my favorites. I hated the layout of the ship. Interiors were lovely though.

For me the service and food are better on Celebrity so would choose Celebrity.

I know this is the Celebrity boards and I love Celebrity. We have a choice of either a 14 day on the Golden Princess to Hawaii or a 15 day on Celebrity Mercury to Hawaii.

One leaves out of San Diego the other out of L.A. L.A. is a 1/2 drive and San Diego is 2 1/2 hours.

The price difference is not enough to sway one way or the other. We have bigger perks on Princess (more frequented), our cabin would be a mini-suite rather than an oceanview.

Which ship would you choose and why!

I want YOUR view.......

We sailed on the Diamond Princess in January to Hawaii from San Pedro, we too, are high on Celebrity but we had no problems with this cruise on Princess. We boarded in San Pedro, was in our stateroom in less than 30 minutes and this was at 12:30 PM. We had a mini-suite also, along with my sister and brother-in-law, and we were delighted to find out we could open a door on the balcony to each other's balcony. The only fault we found was the ship was too big for us, 3300 PAssengers. No problem until we tried to reboard in Maui, where we had tendered, and waited in the hot sun for an hour to get back on the ship. We enjoyed the balcony very much and I think you will be happy with a balcony and a minisuite.

Archived