Too early to book or does this sound ok?

des1rees

So, we have decided to go for an Alaskan cruise Sep 2009. It will be 2 of us with 2 boys ( 5 and 7) and my in-laws. Had narrowed it down between HAL and Celebrity, and then decided to work through a travel agent since this will be our first cruise. He recommended Celebrity, a little less pricy than HAl but really nice.

We are planning to get a sky suite connected to a Concierge class ( there are two on the sky deck on Infinity. and we will get that so that we are all close by. The slight hesitation is that the in-laws might say this is too expensive...but we will talk them into it.

I am also planning to use award tickets to that it will be a little cheaper.

While waiting for the 2009 prices to come out, I am thinking the cruise should cost us about 5k if we do the sky suite. Do you think that sounds ok or will it be higher? How much more is a royal suite or a celebrity suite?

Is this too early? Am I over-planning?

I will be on these boards a lot and definitely hope to meet up with some of you on the cruise itself.

Thanks for reading, and any ideas/suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated.

D.

Hi:) Prices for Alaska will be out on April 1st so you can

see exactly what the Suites/CC class will be running in just

a few days.

Are you asking about the 5grand for the 4 of you?

I don't want to assume anything because you know what

they say about assuming;)

Have a wonderful time. Alaska is amazing. I want to go back

next summer too:)

Hi:) Prices for Alaska will be out on April 1st so you can

see exactly what the Suites/CC class will be running in just

a few days.

Are you asking about the 5grand for the 4 of you?

I don't want to assume anything because you know what

they say about assuming;)

Have a wonderful time. Alaska is amazing. I want to go back

next summer too:)

Hi, it is 5K for 2 adults and 2 children. Does that sound ok or am i being too ambitious?

Hi,:) I know suites are the most expensive cabins.

I sail solo so wouldn't attempt to guess how much it would cost

for 4.

I did go look at the X website for this summer's sailings though.

I just picked a month (June) and on the website it shows

(example), Infinity out of Seattle is about 2600.00 per person.

dbl, so that is 5400.00 to start. I don't know how they price the 3rd and 4th person.

Did you mean 5 grand for cruise only in the suite? You have to factor

in excursions and extras too.

I looked at prices under suites only. Of course other cabins

are less $.

With the economy as it is right now, I would not be surprised

if prices for 2009 are higher.

Sorry but never go to Alaska in September. The weather is most unpredictable with lots of fog. We went in september and it rained the whole week,the helcoper ride was cancelled and Alska doed not look great in the rain. The weather was so bad that a couple of smaller ships had to turn back and with no refund. There is only one time to go and that is in July or August, more expensive perhaps but worth it . Cheers

Sorry but never go to Alaska in September. The weather is most unpredictable with lots of fog. We went in september and it rained the whole week,the helcoper ride was cancelled and Alska doed not look great in the rain. The weather was so bad that a couple of smaller ships had to turn back and with no refund. There is only one time to go and that is in July or August, more expensive perhaps but worth it . Cheers

Hi skiparoo:) I went in May and only had 2 days of rain and that

was just sparatic. So I would recommend the beginning of the

season too. Actually, we had some awesome weather. It was in

the 50's during the day with lots of sun:D

We cruised from Seattle to Glacier Bay the first week of September last year. Weather was fine except it rained one day when we were in Skagway. Wasn't a big problem, we took the train up the mountain and stayed dry. Rest of the cruise was amazing. We choose to travel during times there will be fewest children.

Unless you get a great deal, I don't see anyway you can cover 4 people in a suite on Celebrity or HAL for $5000. Hope it works out for you.

Go ahead and book through Celebrity instead of a travel agent. If there is a price reduction, and there probably will be, you will be eligible for a refund, even after your final payment. Check the website daily, and phone Celebrity if the price has been reduced. If your in-laws are age 55+, be sure you highlight that box when you're checking fares on the website. They may be eligible for separate reductions.

I have nothing against travel agents. It's just less hassle to get a refund directly from Celebrity IMHO. I had to twist the arm (nicely) of our TA to get her to check to see if the recent fare reduction on our upcoming cruise applied to us. She kept insisting (without checking) that it was only for new bookings. It wasn't. We got a $500+ refund.

You would definitely want to go with Celebrity. Younger crowd. You would also like to book early to get those cabins you need. If by chance you will be paying more than the 5K, you book now and then if and when the price drops, you will get it reduced. There is no real great time to see Alaska. The weather changes from year to year, so September might be nice the time you go. You could go in July or August and get crappy weather. Anyways whichever way you decided to go, just remember to have a great time and relax and enjoy.

As you see you are getting different opinions..here is mine..

Book through an agent..It does not cost more and they will do all the work for you. If there is a price reduction(unlikely) they will do the work and get it for you.

The suites sometimes go quickly.. so you do not want to be disapppointed.

If you change your mind before the final payment is due..you get your deposit back..

You can have fun setting up your own thread here or going on to one that is already established for your specific cruise and "talking" to other people who will be on your cruise..

Michael

Some many different opinions is fun! So I'm adding my 2 cents worth. IMHO September is the perfect time to do Alaska. The weather is always iffy in this part of the world but often September can be the nicest. On the west coast it can rain anytime. You could go in July or August and have terrible weather.

Also, if you have found a good TA that will work with you to get the "best" for you, keep at it. I'm maybe a little biased since I'm a TA but I've heard lots of stories of ruined holidays because the client didn't have all the info they needed. If there are price reductions a TA will usually be able to get them for you. A little peace of mind knowing you have all the details worked out by someone who does it everyday is worth it.

It is never too early to book. Especially if you want to be close together. Your TA may be able to find you just what you are looking for. Ask about adjoining cabins or what some do is book a suite and an inside that is across the hall. This sometimes ends up being a good solution.

Have fun with planning! It's half the trip!

We've cruised Alaska in September, and the weather was surprisingly wonderful. In the mid 60's. It was the last cruise of the Alaskan season.

IMHO, travel when it's convient for your family. And you may want to book a Family View cabin instead of the a Sky Suite. The cabin configuation works very well for families, and may be a help for your budget.

Good luck with your furture cruise.

Karyn

We went to Alaska on the 14 day repositioning cruise in 2006 and the royal suite was just over 9000.00 for three of us. In august of 2007 a 7 day in a sky suite was over 6000.00 for just two of us - so if you can go at the end of the season there are bargains (relatively) in the suites. In September we had good weather for the most part, a little rain here and there, but in august it was beautiful - hot and sunny the entire week. People were in shorts at the hubbard glacier.

Last October, we booked a Sky Suite for 3 of us for this July, and the pre-tax total was $7600. I kept checking Celebrity's website (I booked direct - I'm used to booking travel online, and prefer to have instant access to everything). This February, a corner FV aft cabin opened up that was only $5300! Saved $2300 and will have a LOT more room.

Someone suggested a Family View cabin... would that work? if you are planning to book as soon as the schedulae comes out next week there should be availablility. The first week in September is less expensive that summer - and maybe more of a chance of good weather than the later sailings?

Lots of decisions! But you've made the best one - going on Celebrity!!! :D

Happy sailing!

Dot

If you don't need a bathtub for the little guys you might want to consider 8183 an FV and 8185 a CC. This will give you privacy from the little guys in the FV and be next door, but not connecting, to your folks. Plus, you'll each have a giant balcony, much larger than an SS.

If you need the bathtub, you need to spring for the SS. Are you sure they connect on the Sky deck? On the Celebrity website, it doesn't look like it. Check it out.

WOW!!!

I am so grateful to ALL of you guys for all the pointers, and ideas.

I will speak to my TA about the FV and the CC suggestion.

To clarify, I was looking at 5K for 2 adults and 2 children, but now I am upped it to 6K with the absolute limit to 8K ( since the trip is in Sep 2009, I can definitely plan ahead).

So, to the ones suggesting a FV, is it nicer than a SS? I am also looking at the perks and a little upscale-ness as well. The plan is to have the in-laws get a CC and we get a SS ( the Mercury has two sets on Sky deck where the SS is connected to a CC).

Thanks,

D

Someone suggested a Family View cabin... would that work? if you are planning to book as soon as the schedulae comes out next week there should be availablility. The first week in September is less expensive that summer - and maybe more of a chance of good weather than the later sailings?

Lots of decisions! But you've made the best one - going on Celebrity!!! :D

Happy sailing!

Dot

I also read somewhere that the minimum limit for a FV is 5 people, but for us, it will be 2 adults and 2 children, and then in another cabin, my in-laws so not sure if we will even qualify for it...especially since we are bookin so early...

Thanks,

D.

The FV has a "sitting room" with 2 sofas so it offers some privacy plus a lot more space and that gigantic balcony. The corner FV's have an even larger balcony however they have a solid balcony preventing a view of the sea while lounging. The interior is a bit larger with a bonafide entrance hall that you can use for storage. They are not adjacent to a CC.

I suggested the CC's in the center of the aft which is next door to a CC, for convenience.

You do not get the CC amenities in the FV although many cabin stewards have been known to provide some of those. The extra space and separate area for sleeping more than make up for the amenities according to many people I know.

I don't think there would be any problem booking an FV for 4 people.

Archived