Travel bag for excursions?

littleone9699

We just purchased the Heys travelmate bag from ebags.com

http://www.ebags.com/heys/travelmate_reg/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=97266

they seem just large enough to carry what you need (water bottle, camera, id and wallet, etc) but small enough that it doesn't weigh you down... the strap goes across the body so the weight is spread out across your body, and there's a little bag that can be used on ship for your sail card, cash for tips, etc.

97266_1_1?&op_sharpen=1&op_usm=1,1,1&qlt=80,1&hei=249&wid=249

We just purchased the Heys travelmate bag from ebags.com

http://www.ebags.com/heys/travelmate_reg/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=97266

they seem just large enough to carry what you need (water bottle, camera, id and wallet, etc) but small enough that it doesn't weigh you down... the strap goes across the body so the weight is spread out across your body, and there's a little bag that can be used on ship for your sail card, cash for tips, etc.

97266_1_1?&op_sharpen=1&op_usm=1,1,1&qlt=80,1&hei=249&wid=249

Thanks!! That's similar to one I've been looking at on the same site -

107614_3_1?&op_sharpen=1&op_usm=1,1,1&qlt=80,1&hei=249&wid=249

http://www.ebags.com/baggallini/uptown_bagg_crinkle_nylon/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=107614

Another question . . . what do you DO with your bag on excursions, particularly water excursions??

Another question . . . what do you DO with your bag on excursions, particularly water excursions??

I've never had a problem leaving it on the boat, if it's a boat excursion, or if it's the beach someone with you could keep an eye on it, or you'll have to make the judgement call to leave there. They do have waterproof case type things you can wear while in the water that will hold your cash/credit cards, ID, etc. to keep valuables safe. If you're going to be doing alot of water things you might want to find one of those also.

i take cheap bags...right now i have a canvas bag, i spray it with waterproofing. i figure if i use a costly bag, people might think i have something worth stealing. i use plastic bags for the items i need to protect. carry my water bottles, a soda, some snacks, my camera and our IDs.

...we just bought a Rick Steves' small shoulder bag at our local Tilley store, its called the 'Civita Shoulder Bag', made from micro-fiber, you can sling it over your shoulder or wear it bandolier style, check it out at their site:

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/

...it was only 24.95, doesn't scream "expensive" or look like a laptop case, and with DW carrying her 'handbag' onto the plane, it's what I've been assigned to bring with me, looks like it will do the job...

cheers,

the Imagineer

If you're on an excursion, it's safe to leave your things in the transport--while you're in the water, or wherever. Of course, don't bring an $1000.00 camera, and leave it! But, leaving a few items will be fine. Leave your really valuable stuff on the ship!

Walmart has the nicest small backpacks for around $10. (nice for balancing weight - no sore trapezius muscles) They are located with the travel gear and luggage. Not sure how to keep our water bottles cold yet, however, from ship to island. Also we're keeping important stuff in a under clothing waistband just to be safe.

I think the perfect excursion beag depends on what you are planning to do. More times than not, I end up with one of my messenger bags (I have different sizes), but I do evaluate what I will need/want to have with me on specific excursions and find something that will do what I need.

I have been reading about "pacsafe" bags. Apparently they come in all different sizes. The straps are made with metal in them so they cannot be cut, and akl zippers etc. have a latch connection so they are very difficult to pickpoket.

i take cheap bags...right now i have a canvas bag, i spray it with waterproofing. i figure if i use a costly bag, people might think i have something worth stealing. i use plastic bags for the items i need to protect. carry my water bottles, a soda, some snacks, my camera and our IDs.

This is what DH and I do, too.

What would we do without ziplocks?

I have been reading about "pacsafe" bags. Apparently they come in all different sizes. The straps are made with metal in them so they cannot be cut, and akl zippers etc. have a latch connection so they are very difficult to pickpoket.

I have just purchased the ?citysafe 100 for our upcoming trip. It looks a bit like a handbag and I can actually carry it across my body. It is big enough for my digital camera and small digital video as well as the usual handbag things you need to transport...ie brush, tissues, lip balm, mobile phone, coffee and food money!! etc. it actually has small pockets inside to put cards etc. Hope it works.

I use a Rick Steves Civita day pack (backpack). I like that it weighs next to nothing, has space on the outside for 2 water bottles, has several "pockets" so I can easily find what I'm looking for, that I can lock all the zippers and that the largest space seems to be able to grow infinitely. On our recent Alaska cruise-tour there were often 2 windbreakers, 2 fleece jackets and a bundle of purchases in there by the end of the day. Plus, either one of us can wear/carry it.

Archived