Kids in Pinnacle Grill

jerseygirl3

If we go to Pinnacle Grill with my sister, BIL, and their 7-year-old twins, how does the charge for the kids work? Do they also have to pay $30 each, or do they order off the regular dining room menu and we tip at our discretion? Anybody know?

If we go to Pinnacle Grill with my sister, BIL, and their 7-year-old twins, how does the charge for the kids work? Do they also have to pay $30 each, or do they order off the regular dining room menu and we tip at our discretion? Anybody know?

As far as I remember Kids pay as well the $30...remember they sit there and take away the space for a paying guest! Why don't you just bring them to the Kids club and enjoy the evening by yourself?

Just think you would take your Kids to a luxury restaurant on land...they do not cater for them from McDonalds around the corner!

Guest LoveMyBoxer

There is no charge if they choose something from the regular dining room kids menu. We did this with our 7 year old son. He did try some of the items we picked, but he much preferred the regular kids items.

As far as I remember Kids pay as well the $30...remember they sit there and take away the space for a paying guest! Why don't you just bring them to the Kids club and enjoy the evening by yourself?

Just think you would take your Kids to a luxury restaurant on land...they do not cater for them from McDonalds around the corner!

The only reason I asked is because I thought I read previously on these boards one time that the kids aren't charged. I realize how luxury land restaurants work, but this isn't a land restaurant and I could have sworn someone mentioned that the kids aren't charged, they just order from the regular dining menu. They don't eat enough to even warrant a $30 pp gratuity, but they don't like to go to the kids club. I agree it would be nice to leave them there and have a leisurely dinner by ourselves, but that isn't happening. I was just trying to figure out if it's going to cost $60 to bring the two of them with us. If they charge, that's fine. We'll make other arrangements.

There is no charge if they choose something from the regular dining room kids menu. We did this with our 7 year old son. He did try some of the items we picked, but he much preferred the regular kids items.

Same with us we took our 3 of 4 girls ages 10, 10, and 12 to PG and they were given the option of $30 a piece or could eat off the dining room menu. Two of them chose the Dining room and we paid the $30.

My husband and I went to the Pinnacle Grill one evening with our 8-year-old daughter, who was given the children's menu from the main dining room. She had a hot dog while we ordered from the Pinnacle Grill menu. They didn't charge us for her dinner. We did leave a cash tip at the end of our meal.

My DH and I ate in the Pinnacle twice last week while on the Noordam and on both evenings there were several tables with children at them. The kids all did seem to be eating pizza or chicken nuggets. I didn't realize that the kids were not chraged if they ate off the kids menu. The Pinnacle for us was a wonderful dining experience, the food was excellent and the service was even better.

I had no idea kids were allowed at the Pinnacle Grill. I just assumed they weren't because Royal Caribbean's specialty restaurant (Chops) was only for guests 13 years of age and up.

That is good to know. My upcoming Oosterdam cruise will be just DH and I, but we also do family cruises. We have taken our kids to fine restaurants before and they know how to behave.

I had no idea kids were allowed at the Pinnacle Grill. I just assumed they weren't because Royal Caribbean's specialty restaurant (Chops) was only for guests 13 years of age and up.

That is good to know. My upcoming Oosterdam cruise will be just DH and I, but we also do family cruises. We have taken our kids to fine restaurants before and they know how to behave.

We all love our children and they are all special to us. Still, I remember on our last cruise on the Maasdam in second seating there was a child somewhere in the dining room that cried for what seemed the better part of the dinner each night. I can tell you, the acoustics in the main dining room may not always be so good with respect to hearing your dinner companions, but a child's vocal displeasure carries very well throughout both levels.

Really, I would prefer to offer no opinion about that one way or another. I just think that it would be nice to have a venue on the ship where one could go to have an elegant, adult dining experience. I have no difficulty paying extra for that experience.

I wonder, and this is only thinking out loud, how much benefit seven year old's can get from a dining room like the Pinacle...especially if what is required to please them is to order off the children's menu and perhaps eat pizza or chicken nuggets...which is the experience THEY want.

What hunnypot1 said is the key: "

... We have taken our kids to fine restaurants before and they know how to behave.

As I say, this is just thinking out loud.

Smooth sailing to you.

I'm surprised that they can order from the dining room menu in the Pinnacle. Aren't the galleys separate? Wouldn't that mean someone would have to go to the regular dining room galley to pick up the food for them?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm gonna get flamed for this; but if I went into the PG for a dinner and found there were three or four children in there I would change my reservations for another night. After 18 cruises I have never seen any children in the PG. It's not that I don't like kids, I just think we need to have an "adult" restaurant where one can truly enjoy the elegance without distractions.

I'm gonna get flamed for this; but if I went into the PG for a dinner and found there were three or four children in there I would change my reservations for another night. After 18 cruises I have never seen any children in the PG. It's not that I don't like kids, I just think we need to have an "adult" restaurant where one can truly enjoy the elegance without distractions.

Don't get all ageist on us, now. There are many well-behaved 7-14 year olds I've known whom I would rather dine with then some of the older folks (i.e., "over 21") we've seen on cruises.

It's not a question of age, but of maturity and attitude...

"...if I went into the PG for a dinner and found there were three or four children in there I would change my reservations for another night. After 18 cruises I have never seen any children in the PG. It's not that I don't like kids, I just think we need to have an "adult" restaurant where one can truly enjoy the elegance without distractions."

Amen to the above--well said!

Jerseygirl3 simply wanted some factual, practical information, which I provided in my answer above. Kids are welcome in the Pinnacle Grill, and they are accommmodated. There are very few children who actually eat there, as it's a long, elaborate dining experience designed for adults.

We brought our daughter one time to the Pinnacle Grill on one particular cruise. A waiter in the Pinncle Grill had been our butler on Half Moon Cay when we purchased the cabana/butler package during our stop there. This gentleman had spent a good part of that day building sandcastles and playing on the beach with our daughter, and was kind to her throughout the rest of the cruise. She wanted to have dinner in the restaurant where he worked. He treated her like a little lady, and she enjoyed her "fancy" dining experience. We tipped him well for his gracious service. The HAL onboard staff and crew extend a welcome to all their guests. That is why we keep coming back to HAL.:)

"...if I went into the PG for a dinner and found there were three or four children in there I would change my reservations for another night. After 18 cruises I have never seen any children in the PG. It's not that I don't like kids, I just think we need to have an "adult" restaurant where one can truly enjoy the elegance without distractions."

Amen to the above--well said!

There are numerous special activities and venues for children on most ships I have been on. In fact, there are even ships specially designed for the enjoyment of children.

dakrewser: It is not a question of being ageist. The point I think people are making here (and please correct me if I am wrong) is that it is difficult to have an elegant, dare I say romantic dinner in a lovely dining room such as some of the PGs are, while the children sitting in the table next to you are enjoying their pizza, hot dog and chicken nugget experience.

Yes there are well behaved children. There are children that are not. What we are thinking about is the dining experience of people who pay thousands of dollars to take what is for many, a once in a lifetime cruise, and a further premium to dine in a romantic, alternate restaurant.

What is the answer?

Is it so unreasonable to place an age limit in a specialty restaurant?

What are your views?

Gee, I didn't mean to start a war here. I was simply asking a question.

Okay, if I had my druthers, I wouldn't take my kids to a specialty restaurant at that age. However, they aren't my kids, they are my sisters kids. They had them later in life and choose to spend as much time on vacation as possible with them. Not necessarily my view, but I have to respect theirs. The other reason they want to take them with them is that the kids (who have been on several cruises and it absolutely amazes me that they can sit through very long dinners and be extremely well behaved...don't think I could have said the same about my kids when they were their ages) went to the kids club on a couple of cruises for dinner time and didn't like it. Again, I would probably insist my kids go so I can have an adult dinner, but my kids are all grown and they are not the issue. As I said, my sister's kids are extremely well behaved. They have traveled all over the world and they have been exposed to all types of food (my sister is a trained chef). And if they want to order off the regular Pinnacle Grill menu (which I doubt because they were preemies and are still quite small, so they have tiny appetites), my sister will have to cough up the $30 each (which I was told by HAL is considered the gratuity). I'm not sure how anybody in nearby tables would be offended if the kids choose to eat a hamburger instead of a steak or how that would interfere with their "fine dining experience." But having said that, the kids are turning 8 the day the cruise ends, so we made one of our reservations for that evening to celebrate their birthday.

As far as people saying they've never seen kids in Pinnacle Grill, I've seen several. In fact, the last time we ate in Pinnacle, there was a young couple with a baby in a high chair. That's when I found out that they accept children.

Like I said, my niece and nephew are way better behaved in a formal dining setting than my kids would have been at their age. I guess because my sister and BIL can afford to take them to nice places, they were exposed to more than my kids were. Having them sit through a 2 1/2-3 hour dinner won't be a problem, trust me. When they were toddlers, if they acted up, my sister immediately removed them from the venue and I guess they learned early on that if they want to go to nice places, they had to learn to behave.

If someone at HAL told you the $30 Pinnacle charge is a gratuity they are mistaken. It is NOT. If you wish to tip, you would give your servers cash when you are signing your Pinnacle charge. There is no place on the slip to write in a tip.

Jerseygirl, the key part of your message above was when you noted that your sister would remove the children from the venue if they started to fuss, and so the children learned the patience and manners to sit through a longer dinner. Believe me, I would thus have no trouble sitting next to your family as, from what you state, the children would be well-behaved and, if they suddenly become not, the parents would act appropriately.

What often occurs, however, and not just on cruise ships but in society in general, is that children have not been taught as have your niece/nephew. I have been at movie theatres, live theatre shows, "fine" dining establishments, when the children start to misbehave and what do the parents do? Nothing. That they have a hearing problem, so don't perhaps hear their little darling screeching, is a possibility, but everyone in the surrounding area does hear, unfortunately. Either that or the parents think that we all believe it is "cute" that their little darling is running around the dining room, trying to trip the waiters--saw that happening on my last cruise on the Westerdam. You would think the parents would have a clue, but many are just oblivious.

Another poster earlier pointed out how discordant and distracting it is to have a child crying throughout dinner--not at ones home, or at a MacDonalds, but in a nicer dining venue.

While HAL and many cruiselines are trying to be more family-friendly, and that is fine, one would hope that the families also make the effort that your sister has done with her children, so we can all get along and eat in peace and quiet, in a venue that lends itself to peace and quiet (like the Pinnacle, or even the main dining room).

Is it so unreasonable to place an age limit in a specialty restaurant?

What are your views?

Yes. The venue should have a behavior limit. There are many 30-year-olds (and 40-, 50-, 60- and 70-year olds) who don't know how to behave in a refined restaurant. On the other hand, there are a number of 8-, 10- and 12-year olds who do.

I don't believe in serving "chicken nuggets" to anyone in the PG, however. It has a menu and that's what the diners should be chosing from.

I'm surprised that they can order from the dining room menu in the Pinnacle. Aren't the galleys separate? Wouldn't that mean someone would have to go to the regular dining room galley to pick up the food for them?
On Vista and R-class ships the P.G. is very close to the main galley, and it wouldn't be a long walk. On the S-class ships, I can't figure out from the deck plan where the P.G. galley is! :confused: :confused:

Yes. The venue should have a behavior limit. There are many 30-year-olds (and 40-, 50-, 60- and 70-year olds) who don't know how to behave in a refined restaurant. On the other hand, there are a number of 8-, 10- and 12-year olds who do.

HAL and other lines aren't even able to control passenger's attire. Do you REALLY think that they're going to control "behavior" at $30 per head? :rolleyes:

NO WAY.

I say, let the kids in the Pinnacle when adults are able to hang out at the oasis area. :)

Jerseygirl, the key part of your message above was when you noted that your sister would remove the children from the venue if they started to fuss, and so the children learned the patience and manners to sit through a longer dinner. Believe me, I would thus have no trouble sitting next to your family as, from what you state, the children would be well-behaved and, if they suddenly become not, the parents would act appropriately.

What often occurs, however, and not just on cruise ships but in society in general, is that children have not been taught as have your niece/nephew. I have been at movie theatres, live theatre shows, "fine" dining establishments, when the children start to misbehave and what do the parents do? Nothing. That they have a hearing problem, so don't perhaps hear their little darling screeching, is a possibility, but everyone in the surrounding area does hear, unfortunately. Either that or the parents think that we all believe it is "cute" that their little darling is running around the dining room, trying to trip the waiters--saw that happening on my last cruise on the Westerdam. You would think the parents would have a clue, but many are just oblivious.

Another poster earlier pointed out how discordant and distracting it is to have a child crying throughout dinner--not at ones home, or at a MacDonalds, but in a nicer dining venue.

While HAL and many cruiselines are trying to be more family-friendly, and that is fine, one would hope that the families also make the effort that your sister has done with her children, so we can all get along and eat in peace and quiet, in a venue that lends itself to peace and quiet (like the Pinnacle, or even the main dining room).

Very well said. I know what you mean about parents who ignore their children's unruly behavior. I am a nurse in a busy pediatric practice, and you wouldn't believe the things I've seen parents let their kids get away with!!! I always say those parents will regret their laziness in disciplining their kids when the kids become teenagers and are completely out of control.

I was very strict with my kids when they were little and certain behavior was expected of them. Although I couldn't afford to take my children to the exotic places my sister takes her children, mine were still expected to behave or we would leave. And believe me, it wasn't an idle threat...if they acted up, we left. It didn't take long for them to get the message. It took a lot of hard work and patience on my husbands and my part, but my kids grew up to be very responsible adults who never had a run in with the law (that I know of!!!LOL).

I don't think taking very young children (like infants) into a formal setting is appropriate, though, because at that young an age, they aren't really able to comprehend proper behavior. But by the time they are between 2-3, they start to get the message loud and clear!!

Jo-Ann

Awhile back I had asked about the kid's club so my DH and I could eat in the adult only restaurant. I was informed rather abruptly that there was no adult only on HAL. Being new to HAL, I was quite surprised. On Disney, a kids ship, kids are not allowed in the specialty venue. Although my children do know how to behave in such a rest., I prefer an adult only policy. My kids would choose the children's menu anyway, and sadly many kids do not behave and ruin an expensive dinner for everyone. Having said that ,I applaud the OP's sister for raising her children with manners and agree that many adults can't say the same. I would also point out that ,if we eat in the PG , we would have to take them as the kid's club doesn't open till 8PM (way too late for us with a 5PM dinnertime.) I would suggest HAL have the kid's club operate during lunch and dinner as at the Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island. It is a fancy hotel that only has the kid's club during meal and evening hours so kids and adults are happy. Just a thought.

Archived