Aloha airlines halting pessenger operations

nans vacation

Thanks for the heads-up nv .... I was worried about that when they filed for bankruptcy a couple of weeks ago. We're headed there next week & I've just rebooked my inter-island flights with Hawaiian. The news was just announced this afternoon, so it won't take long before there's a rush on Hawaiian & Go flights.

Well, I was hoping for another 11th hour reprieve, but it looks official. Here's the FAQ page:

http://www.alohaairlines.com/landing_pages/aloha_oe_faq.php

which has all the 'what to do if...' info. Sad sad day... I'm certainly going to avoid using GO! airlines, in spite of the good prices - Haven't used 'em yet anyway, and now I will deliberately avoid them.:(

I'm certainly going to avoid using GO! airlines, in spite of the good prices....

I didn't realize how deceptive Go! was in starting this business, until it was explained in a post on tripadvisor:

"Go! asked for and got inside information on how both Aloha and Hawaiian did business, saying they wanted to buy them then turned around and used that inside info to start GO!....probably why they now have to pay Hawaiian 80 million in damages and will have to pay Aloha as soon as they have their day in court in October. GO! said they intended to drive one or both airlines out so they could make a fortune in Hawaii..."

They succeeded in driving Aloha out, but I wonder what the future is for Go! now with two lawsuits pending.:confused:

thanks for the heads up. called our TA today and apparently she is aware of this news and is looking into alternative flights for our post cruise flight to kauai. she's a bit of a flake so tips like these are appreciated. now it's just a matter of her finding us an alternate flight. cross your fingers.

-Ursulaf

:rolleyes:

The crew being let go without notice and then for some people who paid for their tickets and don't want to do standby. The only other alternative is to buy other tickets and then try for a refund. My husband and I were going April 25 and we had to rebook for April 24 as Hawaiian was full. Then we were taking all the grandkids and kids in July, and part of those tickets had been ticketed. We had to repay and now we have to wait for a dispute to go through. On three of our tickets, I may personally have to file in bankruptcy court. I just feel awful for the employees and a lot of the tour people in Hawaii who are going to be hurt. It will take a while for the other airlines to bid for the spots here on the mainland and then fill in the void. So sad.

I heard that Go is the one where the pilots fell asleep a couple of weeks ago and overshot Hilo.

I heard that Go is the one where the pilots fell asleep a couple of weeks ago and overshot Hilo.

Yes it was GO! but if the rumors are correct, the pilots weren't sleeping as the female flight attendant was in the cockpit with them when it occurred.;)

According to the news, Hawaiian is going to have an additional 6000 seats available interisland, just about immediately. Somehow I suspect Go will also be ready to ramp up - and yes, they are the ones with the sleeping pilots...:eek:

Am also hearing vague rumors about United MAYBE accepting Aloha mileage points. Did hear pretty much for sure rumor that people with elite status in Aloha's mileage program would be offered the same status on Hawaiian for a year - pretty decent of Hawaiian to offer that. They're also accepting Aloha ticket holders on standby basis for the next several days. Still, it is going to be a huge mess to sort out, particularly since so many people make their Hawaii reservations so far in advance. Wouldn't surprise me to see ATA expand their mainland flights from the neighbor islands, either. Everything is going to be pretty fluid for a while, to be sure.

I'd certainly suggest keeping tabs on your TA no matter what if you have imminent plans to visit the islands, particularly if you are flying interisland, as I would expect a lot of scheduling changes in the next few weeks, and probably some delays as well, as everyone scrambles to take up the slack.

What a mess...:(

Wouldn't surprise me to see ATA expand their mainland flights from the neighbor islands, either. Everything is going to be pretty fluid for a while, to be sure.

ATA is having troubles of it's own at the moment, and is pulling out of several markets. I would not rely on them to boost up their flights to Hawaii.

as Aloha had direct flights to three islands from here. I wonder who will step up to the plate to take their slots at John Wayne and the other smaller airports. They will be bidding on it I am sure. But, you know with a big party, I just could not wait. April is just weeks away and July 12 is very close. I had to make other arrangements. Still I feel there are a lot of people in my boat and I feel sorry for them. It is a real big mess.

We had a flight booked between Oahu and Kauai for a post cruise week's stay. We pay everything, literally everything, via credit card. We pay off the bill each month. We called American Express and they reversed the charges. Today we'll be re-booking via Hawaiian (we hope). If you paid via credit card, call your credit card and have them reverse the charge.

Bank of America said they would refund the full amount of our Aloha tickets that I bought & paid for last November. They're mailing me a claim form but said there would be no problem -- they already knew about Aloha when I called first thing yesterday morning.

We had a flight booked between Oahu and Kauai for a post cruise week's stay. We pay everything, literally everything, via credit card. We pay off the bill each month. We called American Express and they reversed the charges. Today we'll be re-booking via Hawaiian (we hope). If you paid via credit card, call your credit card and have them reverse the charge.

Hawaiian has put on extra early morning and late evening interisland flights, and are taking the Aloha ticketholders as standbys on those through Thursday, but if they keep doing these, there might be openings for those with upcoming travel that they need to rebook.

Don't know what is going to happen with respect to mainland flights, and am really glad we booked our interisland and mainland flights a long time ago, and on Hawaiian and Continental. United seems to be taking some steps to assist the Aloha mainland flyers as they were codeshare partners. Will take a while for all this to shake out, I'm sure. Sorry to hear about ATA having issues. They recently started flying from Kona, which is more convenient to us than Hilo. I'd hate to see them go as well. Hard enough to get decent flights - let along mileage travel - from here as it was -now it will just be that much worse.:cool:

ATA is having troubles of it's own at the moment, and is pulling out of several markets. I would not rely on them to boost up their flights to Hawaii.

Unfortunately I was correct. ATA filed bankruptcy and ceased operations today.

Boy did you ever call that one! I saw it on the news this AM and was impressed with your precognitive attributes!

I had seen some stories in the past few months about them pulling out of both Chicago Midway and NY Laguardia which weren't good signs.

I'm just sorry for you guys out there that will be the ones to suffer (and glad that we decided to go to Maui this past January instead of waiting).

As you can well imagine, there are accusations and counter accusations flying around about what went wrong and why, but I'm just hoping that some other regional carriers will look into opening up operations interisland and to the mainland. It is pretty slim pickings at this point, and with the SuperFerry being pretty much of a SuperBust, there's not much competition, either. I see higher prices in my future and that doesn't take much precognition at all!!:(

I think you're right Donna. Higher prices won't be far behind. I hope Hawaiian stays healthy. Go is a no go for me.

I have to say, Hawaiian has really stepped up to the plate and they have been a totally class act in this whole melt down - put on extra flights for all the Aloha ticket holders, have been scrambling to try and accomodate the ATA folks as well - they've amassed a LOT of goodwill from the way they've behaved towards all the stranded passengers. They'll certainly be my airline of choice whenever I can use them from here on out. As you say, let's hope they can stay economically viable! Suddenly it is feeling a LOT more isolated out here in the middle of the ocean, though....:eek:

Archived