Tell me your pre-cruise rituals???

want2seaitall

I always get my hair hairlights about a week before the cruise, then day before I get a new set of nails and also get a pedicure. Got to treat myself before the cruise!

And lest we forget - as soon as I am off work that last day - I have my first BEER to celebrate that I am on VACATION:) :)

I set up a box in the dining room and when i think of things i need to pack I throw them in there.

Mani and Pedi

Live on CC

Research as much as possible for the cruise and possible "detours" if things happen. I don't like to have nothing in mind for back ups, even though once I am on the ship I am good to do whatever and almost all planning goes out the window.

Oh and I also watch the travel channel every time there are cruise specials on.

I also get the nails done and the hair colored. I always go buy a couple of trashy/gossip magazines like People and US to have on the plane/ship. I will dig out my old 'cruise packing list' and go through it to make sure know where everything is. (Yes, I do own things that I really only ever use on cruises.) I charge my camera batteries and IPod.

Then, like the rest of you, I am constantly on CC reading everything I possibly can - even if it's a ship I have sailed on before. Just hearing about it makes me smile.

First we drive to almost every cruise. This means a 21 hour drive in the car to get from Ohio to southern Florida. We usually leave right after work, around 5:00 pm, grab a bag of snacks to hold us for two days in the car, pop in the Jimmy Buffet CD, and off we go. Once onboard we have a routine we follow. Lunch onboard, then to our room to drop off excess, and then explore the ship deck by deck starting at the top and working our way down, then muster drill, sailaway, and getting ready for first nights dinner.

I always get my hair colored, get a pedicure, and get a full set of french manicure nails put on. I usually try to read up on the place I'm going to so I can plan my shore excursions accordingly. I also make a list of everything I need to pack. I usually try to pack lightly but unfortunately the TSA requierement of no liquids over 3 oz. in carry-ons really cramps my style. I wind up having to check in a bag just for my contact lens solution and shampoo! My hair is really long, and 3 ounces of solution will last me three days at best. My next cruise is on May 10, 2008 on the Carnival Imagination.

This will only be our 2nd cruise, but already I know that the one thing I will make sure I do is clean the house top to bottom, including throwing away all the food in the fridge that might spoil while we are gone.

Other than that I do the obligatory hair a week before, nails the day before, and sunshine for a good base tan a month out.

• 5 weeks later...

...include cruising these boards way too much.:D I already have a manicure scheduled the day before. I have a pedi and hair cut scheduled two weeks before. Updating my packing list. I'm cruising out of Galveston, so we'll stay there the evening before (already booked the room, same bed & breakfast as last time), so I'll need to plan my evening on The Strand which will include going to "The Spot" and waving at the webcam while I'm on the phone with my kids:D . Since we are cruising with friends, we'll be bringing a bottle of champagne to open and share at the bed and breakfast. Breakfast at the b&b the day of the cruise and then off to the ship.

I didn't do a pedi but I will this year along with getting my nails refilled. I also create a travel registry at Target or Bed Bath and Beyond and I put all of my travel necessities on it. I buy everything on it before the cruise comes.

This guy will have to get a haircut before I get going on vacation. Having a haircut after I return would leave a pasty white tan line around my neck! Or is that an un-tan line?

Apart from that I'll be talking to the CAA (AAA in the US) to get the lastest update on road conditions so that the cruise with the land yacht can be just as enjoyable as the real cruise. Only about 22 hours of driving from Toronto to Miami. Check the oil, the tire pressure, make sure the a/c is good, yada yada....

Travel health insurance goes without saying.

One ritual we almost always do is drive down to the port the day before and spend the night. Once, when we sailed out of New Orleans, we drove down on Friday and spent the weekend in N.O. and then Sunday, got on our cruise for a week. Two vacations in one. :D Then there's always the pedi and mani - a regular cruise ritual. Another is taking the animals to their "country clubs" (aka kennels). Those are the main rituals we always do before a cruise. Travelgirl

I clean the house from top to bottom the day before we leave so we come home to a clean house (and to use burn off some of my nervous energy.) Since I can hardly sleep from the anticipation, I will usually clean into the wee hours so I can fall asleep from exhaustion. (My wife loves it since I am usually a slob.) How is THAT for a unique cruise ritual?

Yours,

Mr. Kite

Hi,

I also clean the house thoroughly, hopefully not to make things easier for a burgler :mad: but so unpacking my new treasures when I get home is more enjoyable. I also try and shift a few pounds in anticipation of the inevitable weight I plan to gain eating pizzas, burgers, chocolate melting cake etc etc.....

I start a month in advance!!! pulling out the suit case to air it out and start packing. Then about a week before I re pack taking out half of what is there. And iron what needs it. Clean the house is a must as I have a house sitter for the animals... :)

• 4 weeks later...

I usually start packing a month before the cruise and then toss out what I don't need just before leaving. Totally lightens up my load. I would schedule routine stuff such as ped/manicure/hair appt and clean the house from top to bottom for the cat sitter.

On my last cruise, as for my pre-cruise ritual...I did a trip to another country in Europe that I haven't been to before just for a few days! Talk about two trips in one.

This year I am heading to Prague then to Amsterdam for a few days & sail in/out of Amsterdam. Can't wait!

Archived