Princess Out of Galveston/Houston

RetdCruizers

From what I've heard and read, the answer is never. I understand that they lost money when they were here and let's face it, making money for the Carnival shareholders is what it's all about. Part of the problem is geography - they can only do Western Gulf/Caribbean out of this area and that market is pretty much saturated. Also, there's economies of scale when operating several ships from the same home port. Sorry!!

From what I've heard and read, the answer is never. I understand that they lost money when they were here and let's face it, making money for the Carnival shareholders is what it's all about. Part of the problem is geography - they can only do Western Gulf/Caribbean out of this area and that market is pretty much saturated. Also, there's economies of scale when operating several ships from the same home port. Sorry!!

That's a shame. DH and I are just getting into cruising and it would be nice to take a cruise on someone other than Carnival out of Galveston. RCCL was here but is leaving at the end of the month for Europe and won't be back until next year.

Thanks for your reply. I was under the impression that Princess used to have several Panama Canal cruises from Houston/Galveston. I certainly understand the financial issues if they aren't making money on the cruises, but when we were on our Caribbean cruise in November '07 the future cruise representative mentioned that they might be repositioning a few ships to South Texas again. Just thought I would ask.

Thanks again.

Actually - the quote I read from Princess a year or two ago did not rule it out. They said that when they repositioned several ships, they didn't have any left for Galveston. They indicated in the future, they may return.

Maybe I have missed something recently but I would never say never on the quote I read awhile ago.

Though - they did have to deeply discount these ships to fill them......

Actually - the quote I read from Princess a year or two ago did not rule it out. They said that when they repositioned several ships, they didn't have any left for Galveston. They indicated in the future, they may return.

Maybe I have missed something recently but I would never say never on the quote I read awhile ago.

Though - they did have to deeply discount these ships to fill them......

I agree that we can never say never ! The FCC agent was very positive about Princess using Galveston again...although, she didn't guarantee it, she claimed that she heard, in discussions with the Top Brass, that it would be a possibility, but, not until 2009 or 2010. I guess all we can do is wait. Thanks for your perspective.

although, she didn't guarantee it, she claimed that she heard, in discussions with the Top Brass, that it would be a possibility, but, not until 2009 or 2010. I guess all we can do is wait. Thanks for your perspective.

I think the completion of the new mega (Bayport) terminal at Houston may have some bearing on that decision as well.

Does anyone know the status of the construction?

Mike:)

If Princess would add some longer duration cruises from Galveston they could do eastern or southern Caribbean without a problem. I know many locals that would love to see that happen. As for the new mega terminal at Bayport, that is for container ships only unless I am mis-informed. Departing from Galveston is much better anyway except for the drive from the Houston airport.

If Princess would add some longer duration cruises from Galveston they could do eastern or southern Caribbean without a problem. I know many locals that would love to see that happen.

I think the situation is that a ship needs more then locals to fill the ship. Many people who are not within driving distance do not like the commute from Houston to Galveston after flying. My friends who sailed out of Galveston were not pleased with the traffic/flow and congestion at the pier. They indicated that the pier really is not setup (well) for more then 2 ships.

As for the new mega terminal at Bayport, that is for container ships only unless I am mis-informed. Departing from Galveston is much better anyway except for the drive from the Houston airport.

from the Port Authority's web site:

"The construction of the cruise terminal is scheduled to be completed in 2008. We are working with multiple cruise lines on passenger vessel availabilities and itineraries. Our negotiations with major cruise lines are continuing."

Mike

clearspacer.gifclearspacer.gifclearspacer.gifclearspacer.gifclearspacer.gif

from the Port Authority's web site:

"The construction of the cruise terminal is scheduled to be completed in 2008. We are working with multiple cruise lines on passenger vessel availabilities and itineraries. Our negotiations with major cruise lines are continuing."

Mike

clearspacer.gifclearspacer.gifclearspacer.gifclearspacer.gifclearspacer.gif

Thanks, Mike....sounds like there is a glimmer of hope, yet. If the port of Houston opens up to cruise ships, that would take care of some of the issues with traffic and drive times to Galveston. Being centrally located it just might be a great option, it beats having to fly from one coast to another. I'm sure we will know in time how many (and which) cruise lines made the negotiation process.

I think the situation is that a ship needs more then locals to fill the ship. Many people who are not within driving distance do not like the commute from Houston to Galveston after flying. My friends who sailed out of Galveston were not pleased with the traffic/flow and congestion at the pier. They indicated that the pier really is not setup (well) for more then 2 ships.

We'd much rather fly to Houston than Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Nancy

We'd much rather fly to Houston than Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Nancy

That is what my friends in WA thought until they cruised out of there. They had to check in at a hotel because there was no space at the pier for a 3rd ship check-in.

I am right smack in the middle of the country which translate to "not close to everything and equally far from everything". :)

The worst problem with Galveston is that the two airports are 45 and 60 minutes away from the port. This makes for a long and expensive cab or shuttle trip.

Any cruise out of London (Southampton, Harwick, Dover) demands an hour or more to get to the pier from the airport so we don't consider that a major problem. Galveston offers some good things to do if one arrives the day before. Either one (Houston or Galveston) would please Texans though.

Any cruise out of London (Southampton, Harwick, Dover) demands an hour or more to get to the pier from the airport so we don't consider that a major problem.

While I am willing to make some sacrafices for a European cruise (something I don't do that often) - I am not willing to do that much for a Caribbean or Mexico cruise. Especially when I can fly to cities and be 15 minutes from the pier. Plus, the port times (and problems getting to the ports on time) were problems on cruises out of Galveston. I have also never heard so many complaints from cruisers as I have on those who left out of Galveston. People were demanding money for every thing (delay in check-ins, compensation for changing ports even though they had several weeks notice, etc...).

While I am willing to make some sacrafices for a European cruise (something I don't do that often) - I am not willing to do that much for a Caribbean or Mexico cruise. Especially when I can fly to cities and be 15 minutes from the pier. Plus, the port times (and problems getting to the ports on time) were problems on cruises out of Galveston. I have also never heard so many complaints from cruisers as I have on those who left out of Galveston. People were demanding money for every thing (delay in check-ins, compensation for changing ports even though they had several weeks notice, etc...).

I believe that there are two separate options to consider...understanding that there is a new port in the construction phase in Houston means that the long trip to Galveston (80+ miles south of Houston) would not be an issue. Flying into Houston and then on to the new port would be a relatively quick trip, versus a shuttle to the Galveston area. I agree with the posters that say that South Texas (Houston) is a much more attractive area than flying from one coast to another. JMHO.

Coral, if I said anything that was interpreted to be argumentative, it wasn't intended. I simply meant it wasn't a problem for "us". Houston would be an hour closer to where we live too (driving) than Galveston. I vote for Princess to come to ANY port in Texas. As far as the complainers are concerned, as you will notice on this site, there are a lot of complainers out there. With me it just goes in one ear and out the other. At my "senior age" I have learned that most of those things are very unimportant.:)

Coral, if I said anything that was interpreted to be argumentative, it wasn't intended. I simply meant it wasn't a problem for "us". Houston would be an hour closer to where we live too (driving) than Galveston. I vote for Princess to come to ANY port in Texas. As far as the complainers are concerned, as you will notice on this site, there are a lot of complainers out there. With me it just goes in one ear and out the other. At my "senior age" I have learned that most of those things are very unimportant.:)

I didn't mean to be argumentative either. I was just pointing out that while that port is very convenient for Texans and those who can drive to Texas easily, it is not very convenient for those of us who have to fly to catch a cruise.

The Galveston sailings that Princess had, had a lot of problems. Everything from not getting to ports on time, having to drop ports, problems embarking, problems with congestion at port, etc... It doesn't surprise me they dropped the port. Though - as stated earlier, they indicated they do want to come back to Texas one day - maybe if it will be out of Houston, it will be easier. I am not sure if you were on the boards back then but it seemed like the board was filled with issues with Galveston.

Galveston/Houston beats the heck out of the west coast for us easterners as well.:)

Mike:)

You wouldn't say that people in Florida are a bit spoiled with all the cruises leaving from there????????;) It takes us over 8 hours to drive to L.A. from north of San Francisco. And we don't have many cruises from San Francisco any more. :( Grumble, grumble. Nancy

Archived