Pope's Visit to New York

bubbachief

Need help from you New Yorkers. We leave on the Gem 4/19 from the NY cruise terminal. Same day the Pope is saying Mass at St Patrick's at 9:30. We are staying in the Murray Hill area. Where is St Patrick's in relation to those two areas and best way to avoid getting into a mess trying to get to the ship?

Second question. Are we better off letting the hotel call us a cab or try to flag one down ourselves. I have read somewhere that you are better off doing it yourself,true? Would a car hire be better than a cab? Relative costs of each? Thanks for any info you can give us.

Need help from you New Yorkers. We leave on the Gem 4/19 from the NY cruise terminal. Same day the Pope is saying Mass at St Patrick's at 9:30. We are staying in the Murray Hill area. Where is St Patrick's in relation to those two areas and best way to avoid getting into a mess trying to get to the ship?

Second question. Are we better off letting the hotel call us a cab or try to flag one down ourselves. I have read somewhere that you are better off doing it yourself,true? Would a car hire be better than a cab? Relative costs of each? Thanks for any info you can give us.

St. Pat's in between Madison & 5th Avenues at 51st Street. Murray Hill is usually considered to be between 28th & 42nd Streets on the East Side. You shouldn't be too affected by the Pope's visit.

As for a cab, you are better off flagging one down on your own. A cab will be a lot cheaper than a hired car.

The pope's visit shouldn't affect you if you are staying in Murray Hill. Flagging a cab yourself is very easy. A cab is usually cheaper than car service. That being said, I would call a car service and see what price they give you. I once got stuck in so much traffic waiting on line for the taxi to pull up to the cruise terminal that I paid a fortune. From then on I took car service. There are just no guarantees with New York regarding traffic.

The pope's visit shouldn't affect you if you are staying in Murray Hill. Flagging a cab yourself is very easy. A cab is usually cheaper than car service. That being said, I would call a car service and see what price they give you. I once got stuck in so much traffic waiting on line for the taxi to pull up to the cruise terminal that I paid a fortune. From then on I took car service. There are just no guarantees with New York regarding traffic.

This being said, do you have the name of a car service you have used and can recommend?

Thanks for the info.

Jmo, but, if I were you, I would plan on arriving at the pier on the early side. If you get there before the Pope leaves St. Patricks for his next stop, there should be no problem. The taxi can always drop you off on 12th Avenue across from the pier at the crosswalk. All you would have to do is cross the street and then take the elevator one floor up to the baggage porters. There might be some sort of gridlock somewhere. Or maybe he will be out in the Pope mobile. The pier is not THAT far away from St. Patrick's Cathedral.

April 19 Celebrates Mass with priests, deacons and members of religious orders at St. Patrick's Cathedral, then visits St. Joseph's Seminary in Yonkers for a Catholic youth event

Hi

Leaving on the DAWN 4/20 driving in from Mass and heard that the Pope will be at Ground Zero and then at Yankee Stadium, any suggestions on area to avoid or ways or times to go

Thanks.

The Yankee Stadium mass is in the afternoon. The good news is that you are traveling in the opposite direction as the Pope. I am not sure which route you are taking. You usually do have to go through the Bronx coming from MA into Manhattan, no? Just give yourself enough time. . .

I usually use carmel and have never had a problem, although other people on these boards have.

www.carmellimo.com

I know people who use the 777-7777 and are happy with them as well.

www.dial7.com

As for having a cab drop you off on 12th Avenue where you have to cross with your luggage - GOOD LUCK! It sounds much easier than it is.

Hi

Leaving on the DAWN 4/20 driving in from Mass and heard that the Pope will be at Ground Zero and then at Yankee Stadium, any suggestions on area to avoid or ways or times to go

Thanks.

Take the West Side Highway (aka Henry Hudson Parkway) to the pier and avoid the Major Deegan (aka NYS Thruway) altogether. Also to get from east to west, take the Cross Westchester Expressway (287) instead of the Cross County Pkwy (St Joseph's Seminary is located on the CCP).

Will you be staying in a hotel or a home? ther is a difference, inasmuch as a hotel doorman can flag the taxi for you . . . .So long as you go across town south of 42d street and then get to the pier by driving North, ther shold nto be a problem wit hte crowds, traffic and security involved in the Pope's visit.

nicperq-- Thanks for the info. We are staying in a hotel. I've read somewhere that you are better to flag the cab yourself. Does the hotel have favorites that may cost more or are they all on the meter?

all cabs in NYC are now on a meter. Hotels don't have favorites, first come first served. Besides the mass you should check the itinerary for the rest of the day for the Pope as he will probably have other events. NYC takes security very seriously (as it sure should) so when someone like the Pope is in town much of the city goes into lock down mode.

I have crossed the street with my luggage. I have one suitcase on wheels and a small carryon, which I attach to the big suitcase. I had no problem. I would much rather cross 12th Avenue, than be caught in a gridlock, waiting for the car to be able to reach the turnaround on 12th Avenue. jmo

I usually use carmel and have never had a problem, although other people on these boards have.

www.carmellimo.com

I know people who use the 777-7777 and are happy with them as well.

www.dial7.com

As for having a cab drop you off on 12th Avenue where you have to cross with your luggage - GOOD LUCK! It sounds much easier than it is.

I live in the New York area and the local CBS station said the security for the Pope's visit will be incredible unlike anything ever seen in NY even beyond what they do when the President is in town. If someone is leaving on Sunday, the 20th the Pope will be all over town both uptown and downtown where he is visiting Ground Zero.

I think the advice is to give yourself a lot of time and be patient. Especially don't get into an argument with the police or you may find your cabin will be on Riker's Island....

I only wanted to copy the little box that said Saturday April 19, but this entire map copied. You need to go across town much lower than 47th, or higher than 73rd to avoid the gridlock this is going to cause. It won't be that difficult if you plan ahead.pope_closure_658x851.jpg

Archived