HAL surprised me!

lovecruzin

I haven't even gone on my cruise yet and already I am impressed. We are doing a short B2B, San Diego to Vancouver then 1 night to Seattle (it was much less expensive than flying home from Vancouver!). For the one night I booked a guaranteee HH, thinking it doesn't really matter where we are.

Yesterday I see that a BC guarantee is going for the same price we paid, I call our TA who calls HAL and they say they can't give us the upgrade because it is a flash sale for new bookings only, no problem, it was worth a shot... Later in the afternoon TA calls back and says even though HAL won't give us the BC they will refund the difference, I thought that was pretty nice of them. Then today, I get a call from TA who basically said HAL had a change of heart (found something in inventory or whatever) and will give us the BC guarantee for the price we paid for the HH. They didn't need to do this...I know that some promotions are for new bookings only so this was a very cool thing for them to do! :D

I am thinking I may really like HAL! We are Elite on Celebrity and Diamond on RCCL but this is the closest thing I have had to an upgrade and it is my first HAL cruise.

My thoughts exactly! They will not allow you to take the San Diego to Seattle as that is essentially what this would be. I know, we have tried it. They took our money and booked it but then someone discovered this was not possible!

Yikes, times to make some phone calls. I am familiar with the PVSA but am not that knowledgeable, I didn't realize it had taken effect.

My cruise is booked as 2 cruises. For the SD to Vancouver, the ship arrives in Victoria at 3pm on 4/21 then on to Vancouver. It departs Vancouver 5pm on the 22nd, as part of 19 day Hawaii.

The PVSA has been in effect for years. Unfortunately for you, your cruise is a violation of the act if I'm reading your itinerary correctly. Your cruise is basically a cruise from San Diego to Seattle. That requires a stop at a distant foreign port. Victoria and Vancouver don't count as distant foreign ports.

Yikes, times to make some phone calls. I am familiar with the PVSA but am not that knowledgeable, I didn't realize it had taken effect.

My cruise is booked as 2 cruises. For the SD to Vancouver, the ship arrives in Victoria at 3pm on 4/21 then on to Vancouver. It departs Vancouver 5pm on the 22nd, as part of 19 day Hawaii.

So, you arrive in Vancouver on the 22nd? When I first read this I thought you were departing the next day...

Although I am majorly stressed right now, I appreciate everyones input. I checked with TA who assures me this is okay as it is 2 bookings, not linked, etc...I am still not convinced. So, I have asked for the supervisor to call me in the morning. I think I need to go have a big glass of wine and relax!!

Oh dear:( I hope it works out for you, but I would also call HAL and ask for a supervisor and double check no matter what the TA says. You'd hate to get to Vancouver and be kicked off the ship and have to buy a one way air ticket home.

But you're right, HAL is a great line!:D

Thanks SakeDad, I will call HAL myself if TA says it is okay. If I can't do it and HAL let TA book it, then I will be a little less impressed with HAL and I will find a new TA. :confused:

There's always the possibility HAL didn't know this was done by the TA as you say it was seperate bookings by the TA. HAL computers should have a way to cross check sailings, but who knows? TA's have ways of doing things that aren't "allowed" to get the client what they want. And before any TA's say this isn't the case, maybe YOU don't but when I was a TA I knew how to and sometimes did. It does happen.:p

There's always the possibility HAL didn't know this was done by the TA as you say it was seperate bookings by the TA. HAL computers should have a way to cross check sailings, but who knows? TA's have ways of doing things that aren't "allowed" to get the client what they want. And before any TA's say this isn't the case, maybe YOU don't but when I was a TA I knew how to and sometimes did. It does happen.:p

Only other times I have booked with a TA, they have called the cruiseline while I sat there...I assumed that when this TA put me on hold they were actually taking to someone at HAL while making the reservations. Thanks for the different perspective. Now, off for that glass of wine, or maybe something stronger!

It sounds like your TA knew what they were doing was wrong. There is a great possibility that when HAL runs the manifest for the cruise that you will encounter troubles.

I agree. Based upon reports on this and other boards, it does seem that cruise lines audit bookings at some point before sailing and when a BTB is found, they are flagged. Invariably, the travel agent blames the cruise line for not having the internal controls to prevent BTB bookings, subject to the PVSA.

The reality is, that some travel agents are either ignorant of the law or try to work around the controls by not linking the two bookings to make a sale.

I agree. Based upon reports on this and other boards, it does seem that cruise lines audit bookings at some point before sailing and when a BTB is found, they are flagged. Invariably, the travel agent blames the cruise line for not having the internal controls to prevent BTB bookings, subject to the PVSA.

The reality is, that some travel agents are either ignorant of the law or try to work around the controls by not linking the two bookings to make a sale.

What IS the law you all are talking about, exactly?

What IS the law you all are talking about, exactly?

The Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 (sometimes abbreviated to PVSA, Passenger Services Act, or PSA) is a piece of United States legislation which came into force in 1886 relating to cabotage. Essentially, it says:

No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $300 for each passenger so transported and landed.

Based upon what the OP is saying, it appears that his/her travel agency is attempting to work around the law by creating two independent unlinked bookings. I guess in theory, the travel agency expects the OP to pack up and disembark in Vancouver and then check in again.

There are probably only a handful of cruises a year, across all cruise lines, that are subject to the act, under normal conditions.

But they always come up this time of year as ships are repositioning to Alaska...

It was just a year ago that someone else booked this way, was assured by their TA that it was fine only to have HAL simply cancel their second part and put them off in Vancouver.

well,

This would ruin my days leading up to the trip...I would not bet on getting away with a thing! I would for sure get an answer before i departed and be up front about your concerns because you will not "sneak" through this regulation by not talking about it.

I am a great fan of calling any company two times to see if i get the same answer, go as high up as you can.

Now I do not know if this is possible for you to do, but why not leave the ship in Victoria and sleep overnight there. You can then go to Vancouver in the morning on the ferry and then start your new cruise on the 22nd. That will be a one day break and therefore two separate cruises. You will also be able to have a much loger time in Victoria to look round.

Interesting idea about Victoria, but that would be too much trouble and probably wouldn't save me much money over flying home from Vancouver. Plus, I spent time in Victoria last year and really want to see Vancouver!

This won't ruin my vacation. I still have the 4 day from San Diego to Vancouver and worse case, we will have to fly home from Vancouver. Heck, maybe I can talk DH into an extra day there!

Thanks for all of your input and suggestions.

Archived