Accra Beach Question

kt0331

We will be at Accra beach in 2 weeks after we take a tour of the island.

how crowded does it get around noon.

During the week, it's not crowded.

Weekends maybe a bit (locals) ...and on public holidays it's busiest.

• 3 weeks later...
I think aplmac is "on the take" with Accra Beach! :D
Not a chance, bud.

It's just that ...having lived here for over half a century

you kinda get to know where the best places are?

Feel free to go to other beaches, never mind me. ;)

Not a chance, bud.

It's just that ...having lived here for over half a century

you kinda get to know where the best places are?

Feel free to go to other beaches, never mind me. ;)

Nope, I'm going ot Accra and I'm dragging your old, sorry a$$ with me! :D

I kept looking around for Aplmac to see if he was collecting a salary for suggesting this beach but the only thing I saw was THE MOST AMAZING BEACH IN THE WORLD! Thanks for pointing us in this direction!

Sure enough, the taxi driver suggested another beach but I said absolutely not. Take us to Rockley. Perfect waves, perfect sand, not crowded, close to the port, no vendors bothering us. Perfect. Perfect.

Any idea of cost of chair rental? Umbrella rental?

Love all the pics!!

They have two types of chairs. I believe the "nicer" chairs (2) and an umbrella cost $15 and the "older" chairs (2) and an umbrella cost $10. You will love this beach!

Okgladmom, did you just return from an AOS trip? If so let me now if you've written a review of the other ports & your whole trip.

Is there a certain spot we should ask the taxi driver to drop us off at Rockley Beach? I had read where someone had been dropped off at one far end and they got chairs & umbrellas easily there BUT they mentioned the beach was a little rockier at that end too. I'd love to have it all of course! Easy access to chairs & umbrellas and sandier beach entrance. Would that be the middle or maybe more towards the food vendors? :rolleyes:

Okgladmom, did you just return from an AOS trip? If so let me now if you've written a review of the other ports & your whole trip.

Is there a certain spot we should ask the taxi driver to drop us off at Rockley Beach? I had read where someone had been dropped off at one far end and they got chairs & umbrellas easily there BUT they mentioned the beach was a little rockier at that end too. I'd love to have it all of course! Easy access to chairs & umbrellas and sandier beach entrance. Would that be the middle or maybe more towards the food vendors? :rolleyes:

We just returned last night from a cruise on Carnival Victory. I haven't gotten my reviews finished yet but wanted to tell aplmac how much I enjoyed Rockley today. We asked the taxi driver to take us to Rockley and he dropped us off in a parking area, near the vendors and across the street from a fast food restaurant called Chefette. I believe this would be the common area for a taxi driver to take you. It was sandy here but the rocky area I saw was to the right of that area. The lifeguards keep you away from that area.

I kept looking around for Aplmac to see if he was collecting a salary for suggesting this beach

but the only thing I saw was THE MOST AMAZING BEACH IN THE WORLD!

Thanks for pointing us in this direction! ===> You're welcome..

Sure enough, the taxi driver suggested another beach

but I said absolutely not. Take us to Rockley. ===> Good for you!

Perfect waves, perfect sand, not crowded, close to the port, no vendors bothering us.

Perfect. Perfect.

Glad you found it to your liking.

Accra-673.jpg

Just back from Carnival Victory 6-14 sailing. Thanks to Aplmac for the Accra beach info. All of your info on Accra beach was of course accurate. We were dropped off at the Chefette and walked across the street where the vendor huts were. This is also where the bathroom/changing building is. The guys renting the chairs and umbrellas were at this spot also. The police were visible which ensures very little problem with beach vendors bothering you. The guy renting the umbrellas wanted $50 but it was 1pm and we said we would only be there for 2 hrs. He took $20 instead. The taxi ride was $26 both ways. We would definitely do Accra again!

Just back from Carnival Victory 6-14 sailing. Thanks to Aplmac for the Accra beach info. All of your info on Accra beach was of course accurate. We were dropped off at the Chefette and walked across the street where the vendor huts were. This is also where the bathroom/changing building is. The guys renting the chairs and umbrellas were at this spot also. The police were visible which ensures very little problem with beach vendors bothering you. The guy renting the umbrellas wanted $50 but it was 1pm and we said we would only be there for 2 hrs. He took $20 instead. The taxi ride was $26 both ways. We would definitely do Accra again!

Just clarify for me rxnrn... you say the taxi ride is $26 ...both ways..does that mean round trip or each way?

Also... doesn't $50 for an umbrella rental seem steep??? Wow.. so we are up to $76 to get to a beach and sit with an umbrella. (didn't mention chair in post..so I guess it is on sitting on a towel.

Help Aplmac!!! You recommend this beach so highly!! Do you have an in with the umbrella guy?? Please clarify... we haven't even gotten to chairs and a drink yet! I do not mean to sound cheap, but is this the going rate for umbrellas??? And no one here better rip me apart... thank you rxn for the heads up! It does sound like a great beach, but I am going to do more research before our trip!

Help Aplmac!!! You recommend this beach so highly!! ===> I do.

Do you have an in with the umbrella guy?? ===> I do not.

Please clarify... we haven't even gotten to chairs and a drink yet!

I do not mean to sound cheap, ===> I've always found you to be of sound judgment,frankly!

but is this the going rate for umbrellas??? ===> What do you think?

Do you think just maybe the local guy was "trying something"? ;)

Just clarify for me rxnrn... you say the taxi ride is $26 ...both ways..does that mean round trip or each way?

Also... doesn't $50 for an umbrella rental seem steep??? Wow.. so we are up to $76 to get to a beach and sit with an umbrella. (didn't mention chair in post..so I guess it is on sitting on a towel.

Help Aplmac!!! You recommend this beach so highly!! Do you have an in with the umbrella guy?? Please clarify... we haven't even gotten to chairs and a drink yet! I do not mean to sound cheap, but is this the going rate for umbrellas??? And no one here better rip me apart... thank you rxn for the heads up! It does sound like a great beach, but I am going to do more research before our trip!

The umbrella guy may have been quoting in BDS$$.

$1.00 U.S = $2.00 Bds

Although $50.00 Bds for a beach chair is still expensive.

I would think it was maybe $50.00 Bds for two chairs for the day.

I have paid $15 to $20 Bds per chair at different beaches for the whole day.

NewCruiser, it was $26 there and $26 back( four of us in the cab) . The beach chair guy was definitely trying to swindle us, but I have paid $50 for the day at many US beaches. We did get 2 chairs and an umbrella. You can probably negotiate the price with them. If you think that price was bad, we were at Jalouise beach in St Lucia for 1.5hrs and they wanted $20 per chair. We got one chair and an umbrella. There were several times I thought I was getting screwed on the price. I bought a bottle of spray similar to Bengay by the terminal and it was $14. I asked the cashier and she said that was US $. If you wanna have some fun with the chair guy, take one of his and drag it to the Accra hotel area. The hotel has there own nice chairs but when they are full people try and smuggle one of his and ask him why they have to pay. One other tidbit, toilets don't have seats in the facilities. We budgeted $300 a day extra for cabs, tips, chairs, excursions, etc. It took every penny of it, but we had the time of our lives and you can't put a dollar figure on that. Go and enjoy yourself!

Thanks for all of the info rxnrn, these boards are terrific for making ppl aware of what to expect! I will definitely take your advice!

With 5 ports on our cruise, the ports could exceed the price of the cruise. It is just DH and I so we will budget $100-$150 per port. If you had 4 ppl in your group.. per person, we are not that much off from you.

Thanks again.:)

And thanks to Aplmac for all of his great info..

• 3 weeks later...

We paid $26 round trip for taxi a few weeks ago. The chairs and umbrella were total of $15. Randall our taxi driver would not accept payment until he came back at time we agreed upon. We stayed until 1:30 and then he dropped us off in town to shop with a supposed 5 min walk back to ship. It was NOT, more like 25 and very, very hot with lots of beggers following.

The beach was fantastic. Loved jumping in the waves and walking on boardwalk.

Mrsosci

• 3 weeks later...

Please tell us the best way to enjoy the beach for our family of 3, one in a wheelchair (folding) and one with a walker. We all can walk short distances but would need chairs, umbrella and a bathroom nearby. Is this possible or should we stay on the ship?

• 1 month later...

Aplmac may be able to answer this better. The sand is pretty long and wide from the ocean to the palms. I don't think there are a ton of palms to actually sit under only because there are food vendors and other things going on already in the shaded areas. I may not be explaining it right.....

I can't imagine that you wouldn't find a shady palm to sit under of course, but I would definitely drive over there early to be sure you got the right spot. Otherwise there are definitely umbrellas to rent as well. The water there is gorgeous and the sand is soft and a beautiful shade of beigy-pink.

In looking at pictures--some have quite a few palms where others do not

-- is there a certain section of the beach that has a lot of palm trees???

I love palm trees!!! :)

No,there is no section of Accra with lots of coconut trees.

There are a few sprinkled here and there, but that's about it. Sorry.

Where would a quiet area of the beach be? Someplace not too crowded

where we could also walk for a flying fish sandwich and along the boardwalk?

It's not a huge beach.

The spot you select is just about the right place to be. ;)

Eats nearby at the snack-shacks, boardwalk to the West

(to the right as you face the water)

• 4 weeks later...

Are there jet skis, kayaks or peddle boats available for rent in this area?

Does the Accra Hotel offer a day rate to use it's facilities?

Are there bars for food and drink along the beach?

Is there snorkeling in this area.

Thanks for all of your help.

Are there jet skis, kayaks or peddle boats available for rent in this area?

Does the Accra Hotel offer a day rate to use it's facilities?

Are there bars for food and drink along the beach?

Is there snorkeling in this area.

To get to your queries, one by one...

Jet ski's -yes. The guys go up and down the coast looking for customers

so you should see them pass by now and then. Throw your arms up and give them a wave.

They'll see the money! :)

Kayaks? I've seen the odd privately-owned kayak up and down the coast,

but not for rent...not that I know of...not at Accra itself.

Peddle boats? Forget it. Too choppy most days for peddle boats.

I think someone had a few down the West Coast

where sea conditions are generally more like a mill-pond.

Accra day pass: I don't know. Can't answer that,sorry.

Bars for food and drink are right beachside, in the snack-shacks nearby.

Snorkelling: Most people will tell you no

but there is an interesting man-made barrier-reef about 150 yds offshore

--up the Eastern end of the bay--

that has now accumulated quite a bit of marine life in the 15 yrs. it's now been in place.

The quieter inside edge is where I've worked along

but there's also a somewhat rougher outer edge that's different to the inside.

Other than that, Rockley Bay is pretty much a sand-bottomed bay

(thus the amazing color of the water!)

so there's not a lot to see other than that man-made barrier reef

with its fish, baby lobsters and small soft corals.

Personally, I find it interesting

in that one can assess what life forms have materialised there in just 15 yrs. or so

but that's my Marine Bio background coming to the fore..

I can answer the question about the day pass at Accra after doing some research for our upcoming cruise. The cost is $25 and it gives you access to the pools and facilities, a lounge chair and towel. Accra is not an all inclusive hotel so they don't offer an all inclusive day pass.

Archived