Air Train

mailbroad

I'd like to take the Air Train from JFK to Grand Central Station. I did this once before with fabulous directions but I can't find them. Any step by step tips? Thanks.

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/

Are you sure you went to Grand Central Station? The Air Train brings you directly to the Jamaica Station of the Long Island Rail Road which brings you into Penn Station -- W34th St. and 8th Avenue.

If you wanted to get to Grand Central you would have to switch to a subway once you got to Penn, or take the Subway from Jamaica but you would still have to switch from the IND subway to the IRT subway at one point.

I take Air Train frequently to/from Grand Central. :) If you are going one way, purchase a $7 metro card and board an up town A train, then get off at Penn Station. :) IF going round trip, purchase a $10 metro card and upon your return, enter the subway with a $2 single metro card and use the $5 left on the $10 card for exiting at JFK. ($12 value)

Allow at least 45 minutes and usually closer to an hour.

If you wanted to get to Grand Central you would have to switch to a subway once you got to Penn, QUOTE]

This is not correct. You get on the shuttle (S train) from 42 St. Not, Penn station.

If you wanted to get to Grand Central you would have to switch to a subway once you got to Penn, QUOTE]

This is not correct. You get on the shuttle (S train) from 42 St. Not, Penn station.

BQ, most travelers chose to take the LIRR into Penn. It is more convenient, and less crowded, and there is actually space for luggage and is much less stressful for people who do not know the subway system. You simply get off the Airtrain at Jamaica, get on the train to Penn. Don't get off the train until the last stop, Penn. If you go via LIRR way, then you pick the subway up at Penn Station. Your way might be fine for you, and it is the "budget" way, but for the novice traveler with a suitcase, I don't recommend the subway. I recommend taking the Long Island RR to Penn Station and then taking a short cab ride to the pier or hotel.

are all of the "stops" easy to find?

Are you talking about taking the Airtrain from the terminal to the Long Island Railroad Jamaica Station? Definitely YES. The Airtrain is very well run, it is like the monorail at Disneyworld. You simply get off at Jamaica and then board the train to Penn Station.

Archived