Airfare to South America as much as 14 day cruise

CruzinFamilyof5

We just reserved Dec 21 South American cruise with Norwegian and discovered the airfare is the same as the cruise $8400 + $8000, because it begins in Valparaiso, Chile and ends in Buenos Aires, Argentina. We're tempted to cancel and find a 14 day cruise instead from any U.S. port to avoid spending 50% of our trip on airfare. We're limited from Dec. 19th through Jan 11th for any trip.

Any suggestions?

Upgrade to a suite and you will feel better about the cruise costing more than the airfare :-)$1600 pp is not a great fare but not bad either.

Thanks for providing the link to atw fare and your previous advice, which are much appreciated, Chris.

I did look into atw, but there were a number of problems -

Cost

• $3,714 for economy atw
  • no direct flight to Milan, via Asia, on atw tickets (has to be via a European gateway).
  • $3714 x 2 is more than the cost of 32 days cruising!

For around $4,400, we could have 2 overseas return flights - one to Milan, and one to Santiago, next year, which seem better value.

I guess I've become hardened to either using FF points, or paying for a business class airfare that subsidises the next set of FF points...can't help anymore, sorry :D

Cheers

Chris

WE are taking the Cleb. Infinity on Dec 7 from Lauderdale to Valparaiso. There is a return flight included for $300. We booked the 14 day with a balcony (2b) , round trip air from New Jersey, prepaid gartuities for $5800 .

The trip is not as interesting ad the Buenes Aires to Valparaiso but it is Soth America!

Thanks for the information. Wow - $300 return flight to FL! That was the cruise we were planning.

I was tempted for a moment, as we can get FF back from FL. Then reality set in when I thought of the long flight home. In addition, flying via US is no longer pleasant for us "foreigners", because of over zealous security.

I just booked the Sun for the 12/7 Around the Horn. I have been wanting to do this trip for the last 5 years but couldn't convince DH to bring a "coat" on vacation! LOL With all the changes and turmoil with the airlines right now, I am happy with my fare of $1560 and change for flights and transfers, but maybe Great Am could help me out! lol Whatever I save on airfare, well you know how that goes! ;)

CruzinFamilyof5 wrote: "I flew on Lan in 2004, we got stuck in Santiago for several hours waiting for a 3rd plane without mechanical problems. It happened to mom a month later."

Yikes!! That does not sound good!! I am booked on LAN for part of my journey. I really don't like flying anymore - just want to get where I am going safely and in one piece!! I was hoping that all the great info I have read is true! I guess they all have troubles these days.

When one is stuck waiting for a third plane without mechanical problems means, in fact, that the airline is keeping us safe. Once, when I was moaning impatiently due to ground delays, I heard another passenger say:

It is better to be on the ground, wishing you were in the air, than to be in the air, wishing you were on the ground.

Having once been in the air wishing I was on the ground, how true that statement rang.

I am planning to fly from CHS to SCL and EZE back to CHS. It looks like the airfare went up a couple of hundred dollars in a couple of weeks. ugh...

I am leaving on l2/18 and returning l/4, l/5, or l/6 depending on price.

It is amazing how much these flights are going up..... I even played around to see if I could get Air tran from CHS to a major airport that would save a chunk, but it isn't working. OK I am done looking today... I tried sidestep.com, travelocity.com, expedia.com, orbitz.com, etc. I tried the LAN website, but the prices were really outrageous. I think I will go hit my head on the wall. That may be more productive. ;)

No kidding huh CoastalJen? I looked at CJS (Juarez, Mexico) as an option as well. When I first started pricing, the fares were about $923. They're now up to $1600! I finally just gave in and booked cruiseline air. This way, I have the price locked in and I can always drop the airfare if I manage to find it cheaper. :rolleyes:

I tried to do cruiseline airfare on the website where I booked the cruise, and they would not do it from CHS. I went to another site, because I grew tired of banging my head, and tried to pretend I was booking the ticket through them, and same message... They won't offer cruise air from this airport. They would do it from ATL. However, it is still over $1300, and I would have to fly to ATL.

OK back to looking at different options. I knew I couldn't give up for long.....

"I am confirmed on LAN CHILI, from LAX to B.A. on 11 Feb. should read 11 JAN.I have one connection on the outbound, in Santiago.

Thanks, GREATAM. You can read better than I can write.

When should I book the B.A. to Igauzu? Will the fares go up? I hate to book non-refundable before final payment date of the cruise (just in case).

I just have to add.. it is amazing when you play with dates. I can go in l2/l6 and save about $200 over going l2/l8. That would cover the hotel for two more nights. Thus, I might as well put the money into being in Santiago as sitting here and putting it into airfare.

Leaving after l/4 also lowers the price some..not enough to justify the air ticket..but it means I am not spending a ton more just staying there a day or two.

"I am confirmed on LAN CHILI, from LAX to B.A. on 11 Feb. should read 11 JAN.I have one connection on the outbound, in Santiago.

Thanks, GREATAM. You can read better than I can write.

When should I book the B.A. to Igauzu? Will the fares go up? I hate to book non-refundable before final payment date of the cruise (just in case).

You should be fine booking after final payment. Air fares INTRA SA don't deviate too much, although with oil going the way it is going, who knows???

Are you still going to try from MP????

Does anyone know how to use the kayak website?

I was trying to check a flight leaving CHS l2/l8 to SCL. Then I was going to return l/6 from EZE. Someone said you can check what the price of a certain flight was for the past few weeks on that website. I have never been able to do that.

Does anyone know how to use the kayak website?

I was trying to check a flight leaving CHS l2/l8 to SCL. Then I was going to return l/6 from EZE. Someone said you can check what the price of a certain flight was for the past few weeks on that website. I have never been able to do that.

You biggest problem is trying to find ONE ticket from CHS to SA. You will do far better finding a way to MIA-drive, train or a flight on a separate ticket, then book an open jaw flight from MIA/SCL and return EZE/MIA. ATL (Atlanta) is prohibitively expensive for the Xmas holidays, as most flights have already been purchased by TA's, packagers and Xmas travelers.

I see prices for your dates for about $1150.00 open jaw OUT of MIA. But you have to figure out how to get to MIA. The CHS connection is killing you.

I just booked the Sun for the 12/7 Around the Horn. I have been wanting to do this trip for the last 5 years but couldn't convince DH to bring a "coat" on vacation! LOL With all the changes and turmoil with the airlines right now, I am happy with my fare of $1560 and change for flights and transfers, but maybe Great Am could help me out! lol Whatever I save on airfare, well you know how that goes! ;)

You have posted no information so I can help you. 12/7 from where to where????

When do you return???? What airports are you willing to use (obviously Las Cruces is not a major international airport)???? Are you willing to fly on two tickets-Las Cruces/ABQ/Juarez to a major gateway, then your international ticket???

More info please.

You have posted no information so I can help you. 12/7 from where to where????

When do you return???? What airports are you willing to use (obviously Las Cruces is not a major international airport)???? Are you willing to fly on two tickets-Las Cruces/ABQ/Juarez to a major gateway, then your international ticket???

More info please.

I was just waiting for you to return! Our major gateways are ELP, ABQ, CJS.

Right now, I have air booked through NCL from ABQ to EZE. We sail on 12/7/08, so we'd definitely like to fly out on 12/5, 12/6 at the latest. Yes, I'd be more than willing to fly out on two tickets! That is so silly though! I actually flew my son in from LAX to ELP on 2 tickets (same airline!) a lot cheaper than booking the direct flight! Why do the airlines do this? We will be returning from SCL on 12/21. Thanks Greatam! I got very confused by the Star Alliance site that some have spoken of here on the boards!

Thanks. I saw the MIA flights yesterday, and I thought wow... Then I looked into flights to MIA and also thought wow.. ha ha It wouldn't save much to fly CHS to MIA rt even on a cheap airplane like Airtran.

Thanks for trying. CHS is suppose to be one of the most expensive airports in the country. I think I am going to just suck up the expense and buy the ticket.

I even thought about using my miles for a flight rt to Miami from here and then booking the flight from MIA. That is another thought. I just hate to use up all my miles to get to Miami. :)

I once drove to ATL to take a flight. However, it is about 6 hrs. to the airport. It was worth it on that last minute flight, but I have to save a ton to do it. I tried ATL there and back, and thought I could buy an Airtran ticket rt to Atlanta. I just didn't see a huge savings doing that, and I am starting to worry about small companies (like Airtran) folding after recent events.

I was just waiting for you to return! Our major gateways are ELP, ABQ, CJS.

Right now, I have air booked through NCL from ABQ to EZE. We sail on 12/7/08, so we'd definitely like to fly out on 12/5, 12/6 at the latest. Yes, I'd be more than willing to fly out on two tickets! That is so silly though! I actually flew my son in from LAX to ELP on 2 tickets (same airline!) a lot cheaper than booking the direct flight! Why do the airlines do this? We will be returning from SCL on 12/21. Thanks Greatam! I got very confused by the Star Alliance site that some have spoken of here on the boards!

This is probably the best, given that your return date bumps into the Xmas surcharge period.

I priced it out doing RT AeroMexico or Mexicana from CJS to Mexico City and LAN into EZE and out of SCL. Came out about the same price, but for some reason, the flight out of CJS to MEX would only allow me to book the early morning flight to Mexico City, which meant a 10 hour layover in Mexico City. Not a good option, IMHO. Or maybe you want to do a little sightseeing in Mexico City??? Price was about $30.00 cheaper booking two tickets.

This following itinerary is all AeroMexico-luggage will be checked all the way through. One relatively short stop each way in Mexico City. The flight times and connections are very good and you save about $150.00pp over cruise air. Of course, you will have to pay for transport to Valparaiso, but a one way rental is about $100.00 for the day (and the drive is very easy). Or there are a variety of cheaper ways to get to the ship than the ship's transfer.

Fare Including Taxes: $1,376.72 USD- Bookable NOW on AeroMexico website. There are 6 seats that I could see available at this price.

Total Passengers Quoted In Economy:

1 Adult

Conditions: Fare Rules See Fare Breakdown

Flight

AM 221

Connecting

AM 28

Fri Dec 5, 2008

7:20PM

Fri Dec 5, 2008

10:50PM

Connecting in: Mexico City, Mexico (Q)

Fri Dec 5, 2008

11:55PM

Sat Dec 6, 2008

1:10PM

To: Buenos Aires M Pistarini, Argentina Flight Information

Flight

AM 11

Connecting

AM 258

Mon Dec 22, 2008

1:55AM

Sun Dec 21, 2008

7:35AM

Connecting in: Mexico City, Mexico (X)

Mon Dec 22, 2008

11:20AM

Sun Dec 21, 2008

12:55PM

To: Ciudad Juarez, Mexico

GREATAM:

Yes, I still Want to do MP; however, I just got to give $15K to the Plumbers for 2 new toilets, one waterheater, installation of washer & dryer, new reverse osmosis, + Copper Repiping throughout the 1700 sq.ft house & yard (50-year-old house), plus I owe my soul to the state & the feds after filing my Extension. Now my dental surgeon wants to do a fourth titanium implant. It all sure wipes out my Mandatory Withdrawal plus all my credit cards. (Now you know how Really Really Old I am). I refuse to mortgage the homestead.

Enough of my very sad tale. Somehow, if I need it, it seems to be provided. Oh, I forgot. Had the 75K-mile maintenance on the '03 Prius today and had to buy new brakes and 4 new tires and didn't buy the $1100 gas tank they wanted to sell me (check engine lamp came on last week). Repairman at Toyota said to call insurance company because it came from hitting something on the highway. This will be my 4th gas tank - the first 2 replacements provided by the factory in detroit, or more likely Osaka.

Thanks for the domestic s.a. advise. Knowing that I can book close in the domestic flights, I may be in better shape at that time.

Oh, quit whining & just sell some of your Crown jewels, you whimp.

(Talking to Self).

It IS your bedtime.

Thanks Greatam! I figured we were rather limited on options right now. I notice that as the sail date gets closer, some flights do get reduced in price, but I think I will stick with what we have, for now! We're fairly close in price and not enough to make me book my own air! I am darn glad we have you around!

Thanks Greatam! I figured we were rather limited on options right now. I notice that as the sail date gets closer, some flights do get reduced in price, but I think I will stick with what we have, for now! We're fairly close in price and not enough to make me book my own air! I am darn glad we have you around!

Did I miss something??? Did you book custom air??? You posted your price at $1560 and change. Believe me, the transfers are sure not worth almost $200 per person.

If you didn't book custom air, I find it hard to believe that you are taking a chance with cruise air (which from ABQ could involve some weird connections) and passing up about $300.00 in savings (I figured in the transfer to Valparaiso for 2). Unless you pay for air deviation, you will arrive between 9 and noon your sail date. Then immediately leave the airport and head for Valparaiso.

We are going on an extended trip to South America starting the end of January and returning the middle of March---land tour and 19 day cruise around the Horn on Oceania. A friend tipped us off on TACA Airlines. We're from the San Francisco Bay area and were able to book SFO-El Salvador-Lima and the return Santiago-Lima-El Salvador-SFO in business class for 1900 dollars per person. That is almost the exact same price we would have paid on American's affiliate (LAN) that goes SFO-LAX-LIMA and the return Santiago-LAX-SFO for the same price in economy. There is one extra stop on the way back, but it's business class, a much more enjoyable experience than 'cattle car'.

We are very happy with this result. The reviews on TACA seem positive. Has anyone had any experience going through El Salvador to South America on TACA?

Thanks for any info!

Larinconada

This is an interesting thread. I have been looking at the South American cruises. Normally we travel on RCI, but would be willing to change to another line to get what we want.

My immediate question is however, "Why do so few ship cruise between Rio and Santiago". Most it seems leave from Argentina. Is it the VISA for Brazil? Is it a small port????

Any ideas???

This is an interesting thread. I have been looking at the South American cruises. Normally we travel on RCI, but would be willing to change to another line to get what we want.

My immediate question is however, "Why do so few ship cruise between Rio and Santiago". Most it seems leave from Argentina. Is it the VISA for Brazil? Is it a small port????

Any ideas???

Rio is a very dangerous city. The cruise lines probably decided it was best not to expose their customers to the dangers and be forced accept the liability. Combine the dangers and the visa fee for one day, makes business sense not to go to Rio. HAL still does Rio.

Archived